The Homeless

The Homeless

A Poem by John Plaster
"

writing about homelessness by Elizabeth Rosado just wanted to share a story from a person that I know that suffers mental illness and gave me permission to share her writing. She is an adult in scho

"

THE HOMELESS

By Elizabeth Rosado

June 2, 2012

 

 

 

A lot of people think of the homeless as shiftless and lazy, or people who are just irresponsible.  They’re thought of as a type of person to avoid, ignore or just be pushed aside.

 

From personal experience they are family, friend and neighbors.  Life is unpredictable!  One day you have a job, home and a goal, the next you’re unemployed.  You still have bills to pay and maybe a family to support.

 

Sometimes illness, be it mental or physical it can strike us.  Unable to afford health care, in a system already filled with poor people you can be lost in many.

 

Becoming homeless is a fact that may affect any one of us.  Loss of a loved one who we rely on can also lead to homelessness.  There’s a saying, “I’m not my brother’s keeper,” shows so many people don’t care.  I feel everyone can help his or her fellow man.

 

If it’s just donating clothes, or giving a can of food or just giving some time to talk, feed or walk with someone.  Just as our creator loves us, so should we love one another.

 

Homelessness can happen to you or I at anytime.  Money, education, race or age doesn’t stop us from becoming a victim!

 

So if you know or should see a homeless person, remember that could be you or me.

 

Homelessness is everyone’s business.  Life has no guarantees!!!

© 2013 John Plaster


Author's Note

John Plaster
just wanted to share a story from a person that I know that suffers mental illness and gave me permission to share her writing. She is an adult in school to get her high school diploma and wrote this for her class assignment.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you for sharing this. I also have been in the ranks of the homeless and it was an eye-opening experience for me. Many years ago, I went through a divorce in which my ex sold our home out from under me and cheated me out of the equity--this does not matter now as I currently am living a wonderful life, with a family who loves, a good job. I am able to express myself in my artwork and writing, both of which are part of my ministry--trying to connect as many people back to nature and to our mother earth. I now do outreach work with the homeless and with those who have been through DV situations as I have been.

Thank you for giving the homeless a voice here in this forum.

Namaste and Blessed Be

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
This is an important truth, expressed clearly and without venom.

However, it is an uphill struggle to convince (currently) successful people that their success could be taken away. This is because of the Just World Delusion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis

We like to believe that we are successful because we deserve it. This entails believing that others fail because they deserve it. Outcome: we are great, and do not need to concern ourselves with the failures.

I am sure that you can see why this belief system is so addictive.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 29, 2013
Last Updated on May 29, 2013
Tags: homeless, poor

Author

John Plaster
John Plaster

Baltimore, MD