II. Why?

II. Why?

A Chapter by Christina Jones

It took a total of 15 minutes until the cops arrived. I kept my bedroom door open and the monitor up on high. I kept peaking in on Annabelle, like something worse could happen at this moment in time. I heard the police knock on the door. It startled me so bad I had forgotten that they were coming.  I ran to answer the door and as I was leaping over one of the s**t heads on my floor, he moved just right and tripped me. I landed hard on the floor and turned to look him in the eyes. I could see so much hatred, yet I have never seen this man in my life. He didn’t flinch or even hesitate to blink and said to me in a calm collective tone, “This isn’t over. He will find you and you will pay.” I had no idea what this meant, but I had a feeling it had to do with Annabelle’s father Dixon. I stood up straightened my clothes, like it would make me look good at this point I have blood all over me. I walked to the front door and let the cops in. I recognized the first officer right away. His name was Ted Nugal. We were in the same graduating class in high school. He had bright red hair and goatee and was pretty short. After what happened between Dixon and I, Ted has kind of watched out for Annabelle and I.  The officer joining Ted was a woman by the name of Mintsy Banks. I have never seen her before so she must be new to the force. She was average height and had long black hair. She had this way about her like she knew something about what happened here. I will figure that out later. As Mintsy was escorting the men to the car Ted explained to me what would happen next. “First, we are going to have to have you come down and give a more elaborate report. I understand you are a little shaken up and plus I know the baby is sleeping so take your time, but we do need to see you down at the station today and get this straightened out.” I told him thank you and that I would be down soon.


I looked at the glass shattered all over my floor and just sighed. Another mess for yours truly. I grabbed the trash can and proceeded to pick up the shards of glass. As I was picking up one of the pieces I saw a spot of blood on it. I decided that it was a good idea to keep that just in case so I put it aside. I swept up the remaining glass and checked in on Annabelle. She was just fine, sleeping away in dream land. I sprayed bleach all over the blood in the living room. Thank goodness for hard wood floors. If I had carpet I would be ripping it out right now. As I was cleaning up the blood I noticed something underneath my couch. I crawled over to it and picked it up. It was a cell phone from one of the men who snuck in tonight. The battery was dead so I found my cell phone charger and plugged it in. Nice, it works.  I grabbed some clean clothes and went into the bathroom. A nice hot shower seems just right, right about now. I turned on the water and let it get steamy hot in the room and then I climbed in. I just let the hot water run over me and wash away all the stress. I let my muscles relax and my mind wander. Who were these men who broke into my house? What exactly did they want? And what did he mean by “you will pay”? It sure as hell sounds like Dixon is up to something. He has had his panties in a bunch since I filed for full custody of Annabelle. Maybe if he weren’t out snorting coke off of every w***e’s a*s he passes by, I would let him around his daughter. I am going to have to call Jason. He is my friend/ lawyer he will know what to do.

 I rinsed the soap out of my hair and turned the water off. I toweled myself off and got dressed. I looked at myself in the mirror. It seems crazy to me that I am at this point in my life. I look so stressed and worn. This can’t be good for me, but what am I supposed to do? 

I went down to the basement and retrieved my bag and bowl. I need some relief and this will calm me down and make me feel like not breaking down and crying. I lit the pipe and inhaled. I held it for as long as I could and then exhaled. As the smoke slowly escaped my lungs I could feel myself relaxing more. All my aches and pains seemed to disappear. I took one more long drag and exhaled. Now I feel so much better. I shoved the items back into my dryer. Better safe than sorry. I hate how nobody understands pot. They think it’s this horrible drug that takes over you and you become addicted. It’s not that way at all. For me in my situation it is helpful and keeps me sane. I walked back upstairs and went in to check on Annabelle. She was awake this time, cooing and kicking her little feet.  “Hello my little angel, how did you sleep? Let’s get dressed and go into town baby girl.” I said to her as I picked her up, kissed her and put her on her changing table. “We have some things to figure out.” I told her as I got her dressed. I got her all bundled up and put in her car seat and headed out the door.



© 2013 Christina Jones


Author's Note

Christina Jones
This is just the second chapter.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on November 18, 2013
Last Updated on November 19, 2013


Author

Christina Jones
Christina Jones

Bridgman , MI



About
I am 23. I have a wonderful fiance that I could not live without and we share a beautiful daughter that I would do anything for. We have a 2 1/2 year old black lab named Bear. He is humongous :) We co.. more..

Writing