The Calm Before

The Calm Before

A Chapter by John A. Hill

   ‘I think its bullshit; they’re just tired of chasing us so they’re trying to pull a fast one on us.’

   ‘You would think that Butch.’ John said shaking his head.

   ‘What makes you so sure that he’s telling the truth?’

   ‘Because Roberto is noble and a man of his word and honor, he unlike you Butch he would never do such a thing.’ Pablo explained.

   ‘Oh yeah? If he’s so wonderful then why the hell did you try to over throw him?’ Butch snapped back.

   ‘Just because I tried to over throw him doesn’t mean I did not like and admired him.’

   ‘Well whatever, I can see what you meant Conner about they don’t need to make up stories, that dude was about the most scariest person I’ve ever see. And I’ve spent some time in the penitentiary so I’ve known some winners, but that dude…you’re nuts if you trust him.

  I smile at Butch’s assessment of Roberto, ’Roberto’s something isn’t he?’

   ’He something alright, he was different then that Cline dude.’ Butch said rubbing his eye.

   ’That’s because Cline was defeated. You’re seeing an Ancient with the full power of his will Butch.’ explained Pablo, ‘Over there stands eleven of the oldest beings on the planet. Their will is strong; their gaze will make you weak in the knees. Those vampire soldiers will do anything they’re asked to do.’

   ’And you just want to walk in there like we’re all old friends?’ Butch asked.

   ’I did not say that I wanted too, I said I would.’ Pablo replied.

   ’I think you’re crazy after being chased like we have to just walk in there, I ain’t going to do it.’

  I looked at Butch and answered his statement, ’You will if I say you will.’

  All eye looked to me and no one moved. Butch looked as if he was going to say something but I stopped him, ’If I decide to join the Council, then we will. We’ll walk right over there and I’ll have a sit down with the Ancients and anyone that wants to disagree, I will instruct the Council to kill you. I’m am still the Governor of the Northern Provence of the New World.

   ’And when it comes to what we will do and what we will not do is not for you to decide. You all will do what you’re told as long as I have you in my service. When this foolishness is finished, then you will be free to go back to the lives that lived. And that also applies to you Southerners, you now belong to me.’

  Pablo started to protest but I stopped him, ’Pablo you have the entire might of the Council facing you, you’re supposed to be in exile remember? What will you do if I turn you lose? Do you think the Council will just let you walk out of here?’

   ’No I don’t.’ Pablo said sadly.

   ’We have achieved so much because of our unity, in the face of all common sense we’re going to walk right into our enemy’s camp and show no fear. ’

  Sebastian smiled, ’So once we so boldly walk into their camp what’s the plan, hope they don’t kill us?’

   ’Something like that, this isn’t really good ground to fight on. Are you familiar with the battle of Gettysburg?’

   ’Of course, I fought in it.’

  Everyone turned and looked at Sebastian with surprise, why anyone should be surprised at anything Sebastian says is beyond me.

   ’The battle of Little Round Top.’ I asked.

   ’The second day, I wasn’t there but I’m familiar with what happened.’

   ’We need to find a hill.’ I said.

 

  As we approached the Council’s camp I felt the same old knot in my chest. That was one thing I wished I didn’t feel now that I was a vampire. I hated that feeling, it always made me second guess myself. Left me in a constant wonder was whether or not I was doing the right thing, in a moment of need I was afraid I would hesitate.

  Once Roberto had returned to his camp the army went to work in setting up camp. I shook my head as I saw the tents and pavilions being put up, what are they thinking I thought to myself. The Queen Mother is two days behind us and they’re make camp. I looked at Sebastian as we entered the camp; he just shrugged his normal Sebastian shrug.

  Once we entered the camp I noticed there were eleven tents that were the same size, on either side of the tents were several pavilions. The living quarters of the Ancients I thought to myself. There in the center of the camp was one large tent.

  The Ancient’s army lingered around in small groups, they were all armed and watching us. They did not look angry, but more of an awe to what they saw. Sebastian, the old war horse, myself who defied the Council and killed an Ancient.

  Gloria the wild one, beautiful and wild, a dangerous combo as Hephaistion had said. Emma the redheaded child monster; John Barleycorn who was a legend in his own right.

  Pablo, who tried to lead an uprising against one of the Ancients years ago, Frank the naked and completely insane vampire that howled at the sky like a werewolf. The wild looking Southerners that traveled with Pablo and the gathering of the Northern vampires, something that had never happen in this way before.

  Outside of the occasional hushed whisper there was no sound but the wind blowing through the sickly looking plant life that call Siberia home. All of us were armed; all of us except for me had their weapons drawn. I walked at a slow steady pace towards the large tent in the center of the camp.

  There were several hundred armed vampire soldiers lingering around the tent, they were the personal guard of the Council members. Horatio was standing with two other vampires I did not know in the entrance of the main tent.

   ’Lord Conner, I cannot allow you access to the Council at this time.’

   ’Hello Horatio, you cannot?’ I said politely.

   ’No my Lord.’

   ’Then kindly step aside, otherwise I will kill you.’

   ’That would be most unwise my Lord.’

   ’Well Horatio, I never finished college. Got bit by a vampire and all, I don’t want to kill you so move.’

  The entire camp was still, I could hear no breathing. I could hear none of the Council members moving inside the tent, even the wind had died. It was like all the world had stopped to watch this moment. And like a moron I painted myself into a corner with Horatio by threatening him. Now the whole camp would watch me either kill him or die myself.

   ’Conner.’ Gloria quietly warned.

   ’Times up Horatio, Sebastian take his head.’

  To my surprise Horatio bowed slightly and move out of the way, the two other guards did not move.

   ‘Well honey pie and sweet cheeks; have you found life not worth living any longer?’

   ‘They were ordered not more. They’ll fight you to the death if you try to enter. To fail in that order would mean their death.’ Hephaistion said pulling back the curtain into the tent, ‘Really Conner you really must learn to be a proper gentleman. The proper way to do this would be to send a message asking for an audience with the Council, and you being a governor it would not have been turned down. Let him pass.’ Hephaistion said to the two guards. The two vampires sighed a sigh of relief and stepped aside.

   ‘Sebastian, Pablo, John, Gloria with me. Emma don’t let Frank tear nothing up.’

   ‘Okay Conner.’ she chirped.

   ‘Get out of my way.’ I growled pushing Hephaistion out of the way as I entered the tent.

  Inside the tent there were twelve chairs set up in the horseshoe shape like the Council’s hall back in Prague was. The chairs were small wooden foldouts that had been carried by someone on the long forced march. Though Cline was dead his chair was present. Behind the Council members were several guards. Horatio came in behind us and stood behind Roberto with Heckle and Jeckle.

  Hephaistion walked past us and sat back in his chair to the right of Cline’s empty seat, ’Please Conner sit.’ he said motioning to Cline’s seat.

   ’No thank you, I would rather stand.’ I said rudely, ’No damn wonder you couldn’t catch us, carrying all this crap.’ I said looking around the tent

  Hephaistion smile, ’We do need our comfort when we travel. I do say, the years have made an old soldier like me soft. I do not care for standing in the rain.’

   ’I had explained to the other members of this Council what it was that I told you earlier.’

   ‘You mean about wanting to kill me?’

   ‘Yes.’

   ‘Well, have you all gotten that out of your systems? If the Queens coming kill us I mean to kill her if I can.’

  The Ancients looked around at each other for a moment as if I said something foul.

   ‘I know not if you spoke to me at the Council last time, my name is Cleitus. Killing the Queen Mother is out of the question. It is not the will of the Council to even attempt to kill her.’

   ’Really?’ I was shocked at Cleitus revelation, ’Any particular reason for that?’

   ’Conner, you must understand. One does not simply walk up to the Queen Mother and try to kill her, it is not possible.’

   ’It’s not, or you won’t allow it?’ I countered.

   ’Either way you want to look at it. You have no idea of what she is, ask your companion Sebastian. He will show you the wisdom in which I speak to you now.’

  Without looking at Sebastian I said, ’Sebastian, Roberto and Hephaistion threw her down did they not?’

  The Council seemed suddenly uncomfortable, ’Conner, we do not openly speak of such things.’ Roberto said quietly, ’It is far too painful of a memory to recall.’

   ’So what are you going to do then?’ I asked.

   ’We’re not sure yet. We do not believe we can defeat the large army that is following us.’ Hephaistion said.

   ’So sitting here waiting for the answer to fall out of the sky is a good plan?’

   ’We are taking counsel together Conner, please come sit with us so we may council each other.’ Carver said touching the empty chair beside him.

   ’John, bring Butch in here. Pablo help Gloria steal one of these pavilions and soak up some shade for a bit till I’m done here.’ John quickly walked out of the tent to get Butch.

  I gave Gloria a huge to reassure her. I knew she did not want to be in here with the eleven remaining members of the Council.

   Butch came through the tent and froze at the sight of the Council, John nudged him forward and after a little light goading he walked up next to me.

   ’Butch, you, Sebastian and John are my guard. Stand behind me and don’t say a word. Understand?’

   Before he could answer Gloria came back into the tent and with the look a fury in her eyes.

   ’Which one of you sons of b*****s blew up my house?’ she yelled.

   The Council’s guards quickly drew their weapons and came at Gloria for speaking; we all drew our swords in her defense.

  Hephaistion laughed and told the guards to stop, ’If you remember Gloria, one of us bought the house you lived in. If we wanted to blow it up that’s our business.’

  I tried to hide my smile at Hephaistion’s comment. ’Gloria please.’ I came over to her and hugged her, ’Let the house go.’ Gloria glared at the Council and stormed out of the tent.

   ’Conner please sit.’ Carver asked patiently

  I walked over to the empty chair, Sebastian, John and Butch walked around behind me. Though I knew I was out numbered sitting here with my friends it made me feel a little better knowing I wasn’t alone.

   ’We are sorry Conner about all of the hostilities that have transpired between us.’ Carver said.

   ’But you must understand the burden we carry.’ Cleitus finished.

   ’Just save it. What’s happened in the past is in the past as long as it stays in the past.’ I said to the Council.

   ’Very well. It is in the past then.’ Mather said, ’We must have order in our world. For a time you threw things out of order and now we have come to an understanding. But alas there is something else that has thrown our world out of order, and that is the Queen Mother.’

   ’Okay, so let’s kill her and be done with it.’ I said, ‘I know I’m young but I do not fear her. If you want her gone, why is killing her such a problem for you all?’ 

   ‘The Queen is strong enough to break this Council with her will Conner. This is what you do not understand.’ Roberto explained, ‘You spoke of something that is not spoke of, though Hephaistion and I played a part in the over throwing of our mother, there was no dramatic conclusion to her rule.’

   ’Roberto there was a conclusion alright, let us speak plainly to Conner now that he‘s stirred up the hornets’ nest.’ Hephaistion said interrupting Roberto, ’The Queen was our mother, we were her children. She guided us, she loved us and she gave us purpose. After those silly little people came out of Egypt, the Council wanted to leave the place where we’ve been fighting for several hundred years. The Queen in her wisdom did not wish to leave. So in a nut shell Roberto, Cline and myself had Sebastian stripped her naked, violate her and cast her out. And now she’s pissed.

   ’So this is about revenge.’ I stated.

   ’It’s whatever it you want to call it. I know for Roberto and myself we took full advantage of the opportunity to take power, Cline betrayed her because though he was her favorite she did not love him the way he loved her. The rest of Council would not take part and would not intervene so long as they got their share of the power. And Sebastian was just too dumb to know any better. So if you want to call it revenge that works for me.’

   ’So the reason you all don’t want me to kill her is out of guilt.’

   ’I could care less if you kill her Conner, but the rest of my brothers you could say are a bit guilty.’ Hephaistion chuckled at the uneasiness that had fallen over the tent at the hanging of the Council’s dirty laundry.

   ’Enough of the history Hephaistion, how I’ve grown tired of your disgusting humor over the years!’

   ’Please Dane; I know this is a difficult thing that we are facing. But shouting at Hephaistion is not the answer we seek.’ Roberto said gently to the old Ancient.

   ’My apologies Roberto, I know how you dislike it when we shout at one another.’

   ’So what are our options?’ I asked.

   ’That is a good question, since the Queen will be here in less than two days.’ Hephaistion grumbled.

   ’How big is her army? Elmar the eleventh chair asked.

   ’Several thousand at least, but probably less than ten.’ answered Hephaistion.

   ’Armed?’ I asked.    

   ‘Yes, but since there are none alive that we are aware of that have the skill to make our weapons I doubt they are fully armed.’ Hephaistion answered.

   ‘How can you be so sure?’ I asked.

   ‘That’s easy, Sebastian killed them all.’ Hephaistion said pointing at Sebastian with his thumb over his shoulder. I turned and looked back at Sebastian, he just shrugged.

   ‘Well running from her hasn’t worked, containing her hasn’t worked, what are we left with but to fight her. So was all the crap about her wanting a crown bull s**t?’

   ‘No. she still covets a crown.’ Roberto answered.

   ’Then we have to fight her. If you have no plans to fight her I would really like to know so I can get the hell out of here and go to South America.’

   ’I’ll fight her with you Conner.’ Hephaistion said with a smile.

   ’We will do what is needed to protect our way of life.’ Roberto said.

   ’We need to break camp within the hour. So get your people to pack up all this crap and be ready to move.’

  The members of the Council looked at me with shock at being ordered, ’Get your people ready to move, we shall lead the march. The rest of you fall in where you see fit.’

  With that said I got up from my chair and headed out of the tent, ’Sebastian.’ I called out for him to follow me, John and Butch quickly followed suit.

   ’Well brothers, it looks like our new general has spoken.’ I heard Hephaistion say as we walked from the tent.

 

   ’I think I s**t my pants in there.’ Butch said looking back at the tent that housed the Ancients, ’Conner you sure have balls of steel sitting in there talking to those guys. Now I see why Pablo was so amazed at you throwing a chair at one of them. John I think I will owe you for the next two hundred years for warning me about Europe.’

   ’You’re welcome.’ John said gloomily.

   ’Why so down John?’ Sebastian asked.

   ’Well I kind of hoped that Conner would come to his senses and let’s get the hell out of here.’

   ’Fat chance on that old boy.’ Sebastian laughed.

   ’You’re really enjoying all of this aren’t you Sebastian?’ Butch asked.

   ’You’re not?’

   ’You know I was all about attacking Cline, but now after seeing the Council I can’t believe we’re not dead. And if some crazy b***h is hell bent on revenge and it has them shaking in their boots, I don’t know…I think we maybe out of our league.’

  We walked along in silence for a moment contemplating our plight; I could understand Butch’s assessment of our predicament. I felt bad for him, I felt bad for all of them. They didn’t ask to be here, to fight a war that they did not start. But then again, neither did I. I had been laying in bed in that stupid house back in the stupid suburbs minding my own business with Gloria when that jackass Augustus decided pay us a visit. If they wanted to be mad, let them be mad at Cline.

   ’Conner, can we really trust the Council after the fight if we survive?’ asked John.

   ’No. I’ll never trust them.’

   ’Good thing, they can’t even trust each other.’ Sebastian said.

   ’Then why are we staying if we can’t trust them?’

   ’Because John what other choice do we have? We either run from the Council, or we run from the Queen.’

   ’So by staying and fighting what have we gained? If we beat the Queen then what do we have, a moment that the Council can gather themselves back together and come back after us.’

   ’You don’t think I haven’t thought about that? Tell me what to do John, what would be best. Let the Council be destroyed and the Queen running lose with no fear, I’m sure Sebastian could tell you what a world like that would be like. John I don’t know about you, but I’ve been running since the day Gloria and I left the Council after we were summoned. I’m just not going to run anymore.’

  I hardly saw the Council’s army watching us as we pass through the camp. I was following Gloria’s scent; it had crossed back and forth through the camp several times before I found our little group hanging out under a pavilion. They all stood like statues looking off in their own directions, the tension of being in the Council’s camp was obvious on their faces.

   ’Gloria?’

  Gloria turned, seeing me she walked over and hugged me tightly. I rapped my arms around her; we stood that way for what seemed like hours.

   ’Conner, it looks like the Council’s breaking camp.’ she said.

  I let Gloria go and looked around at the business around us. I smiled at Gloria and said to John, ’I need a hill to stand on.’

   ’How big of a hill?’

   ’Not a big one, just a large enough one that would give us a little more leverage if we had to run down it.’

   ’I don’t understand.’

   ’John for someone that is been around for centuries you sure don’t know much about history. Alexander the Great once said that men are braver when they attack.’

   ’You’re planning on attacking someone?’

   ’John did you fall asleep when I was talking to the Council?’

   ’No, but you said you were going to fight the Queen Mother, not attack her.’

   ’Come on John I’ll explain it later.’

  It took about an hour for the camp to be broke down and packed. The Council’s army broke itself back into the five companies that had pursued us. The camp supplies were bundled up and loaded on the backs of some of the vampires. The so call supply train was had formed up in the last company, Roberto and Hephaistion were the only Ancients that had been visible during the forming up of the army. That bothered me somewhat as I led my small ragtag company past the professional looking vampire soldier’s ranks. All the soldiers kept their heads looking forward, but as I looked at them I could see them following us with their eyes. How we survived killing Cline was a miracle now more than ever seeing these vampire soldiers.

  We met Roberto and Hephaistion at the front of the formation.

   ’Well General, where to?’ Hephaistion asked sarcastically.

  I scowled at Hephaistion, ’We need to find better ground to fight on then this.’

   ’Finally, someone with some sense.’ Hephaistion said looking up at the sky. Roberto looked bothered by Hephaistion but said nothing.

   ’What do you have in mind Conner when we meet the Queen?’ Hephaistion asked. But before I could answer he yelled out to the army, ’Prepare to march on my order! Beg your pardon Conner.’

   ’Form up in two ranks you guys. Sebastian run next to Roberto if you would, I would like to talk to Hephaistion as we run for a moment.’ Sebastian nodded without saying a word.

   As my people formed up into their two ranks, I wanted to hide my face in embarrassment at the clumsiness of their efforts. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Hephaistion smile at our lack of military discipline.

   ’John, go.’ I said nodding at him. John smiled a humorless smile in acknowledgment.

  Hephaistion smile and looked back at the army and yelled again, ’Forward, march!’

  John turned and ran at his normal break neck speed; Hephaistion and Roberto were not prepared for the pace in which John set. Instantly the whole army’s march stalled, then an accordion affect went through the lines as they got started again.

   ’Well that worked well.’ Hephaistion joked, I growled at Hephaistion not finding his little joke funny.

   ’Oh my, now I see why we had trouble over taking you Conner, if this is how you ran as we pursued you.’ Roberto said from behind me.

   ’No, we ran as fast as I could go. I’m the slowest out of our group, so for the most part I set the pace.’

   ’Then I’m surprised that we even caught you.’

   ’You didn’t, we stopped remember?’

   ’Yes, but I meant that I am surprised that you did not leave us completely.’ Roberto said.

   ’We were stopping along the way to feed.’

   ’Yes, I saw the animals. On a forced march like this, we do not allow the army to eat.’

   ’Really?’ I asked.

   ’Yes, it is hard to feed several hundred vampires at once. So we do not let any of them feed. To do so would show favoritism within the army. Conner, so what do you have in mind for the Queen?’ Hephaistion asked.

   ’A combination of two battles.’

   ’Which are?’

   ’Battle of Gettysburg and the Battle of Gaugamela.’

   ’Bloody damn Nephilim.’ Hephaistion grumbled.

   ’Nephilim, who’s a Nephilim?’

   ’That lunatic Alexander the Great.’ replied Hephaistion.

   ’You knew Alexander the Great?’ I asked amazed.

   ’Yes, the Council made a treaty Alexander; he could do what he wanted as long as he left the vampire world in peace. For a time he was content in conquering the known human world. But after his battles in the Far East he became bored with fighting human armies. The Council was the reason he came back, he wanted something more. In his mind he always remembered the vampire, he wanted to become one. He wanted to conquer our world too. He wanted to be greater than any who had ever lived. Bloody damn Nephilim are too dangerous to be left alive. And may the God of the Hebrews have mercy on us if one ever becomes a vampire.’

   ’Amazing.’ I couldn’t believe that I now ran with someone that knew Alexander the Great, who walk and talked with him.

   ’Do you see Conner why the Council killed him? Just the name inspires you. Think what he was like to the humans that follow him, I have never known one like him. And for our sake, I hope the Queen Mother has not found another like him. If she did, we could find ourselves one day fighting not only a large vampire army but a large human army.’

  The thought of a vampire or a Nephilim gathering human army to fight us was beyond me, ’Could a human army fight against vampire army and win?’

   ’No, I think not. But we couldn’t defeat them either. The Nephilim wars lasted over four hundred years Conner and we couldn’t defeat them, the human armies were not all Nephilim, out of every normal hundred humans we would find one Nephilim. But imagine if you could what a hundred Alexander the Greats could do to the world of humans.’

   ’The thought boggles the mind.’ I said.

   ’Well my friend that’s what the Nephilim wars were like. The humans are different now than they were four thousand years ago. They were tougher, meaner, powerful. Back then, I’ve seen a normal human kill a vampire.’

   ’How is that possible?’ I couldn’t fathom a vampire being killed by a human.

   ’Humans over the years have lost their strength, where as we have gained strength.’

   ’So we were more equal then?’

   ’No, we’ve always been strong. I guess we’ve been around the weak for so long we just seem more powerful now.’

   ’How can you tell the difference between a human and a Nephilim?’

   ’You can’t, not till you’re fighting one.’

   ’Oh.’

   ’Don’t worry Conner, if what we hear is true you’ll get a chance to fight one.’

  We ran in silence for a time before Hephaistion asked more about my plan of battle, ’I’m familiar with the Battle of Gaugamela, but I am not up to par on the Battle of Gettysburg.’

   ’It was a three day battle in the American Civil War, on the second day of the battle a Maine unit found itself on a hill call Little Round Top, outnumbered and out gunned. But they were able to defend the hill against several Confederate attacks. Well in a nut shell the Maine unit at the last minute fixed bayonets and as the Confederates came up the hill they charged down the hill. The momentum of the hill pushed the Confederates back and the Maine unit won the battle and saved the Union Army from disaster.’

   ‘So you’re thinking of doing the same thing against the Queen’s lines? Well, looks like we need to find us some bayonets and we’ll be set.’

  John Barleycorn led us in a north eastern direction trying to find me a hill, though we found several they were not what I was looking for. I was hoping for one that looked down into a large open valley. But all of the ones that we found just did not give me a warm fuzzy.

  The valley either had to many rocks,  or the hill wasn’t big enough, for the most part they just didn’t seem right. We saw no trace of the other nine Ancients as we traveled into the second day of running with the Council’s army and fleeing from the Queen. We did not halt as we ran; I drove the army mercilessly through that first night and all through the next day. The sky was crystal clear as the stars came out; though I pushed the army through the cold winter night not once was there a complaint from the army. Even Roberto commented on the quietness of the soldiers. He had said that they had had to drive the army after us. Now they ran faster than they had while chasing us. Something that had not gone unnoticed by the two Ancients.

   As the sun came up in the morning John brought us to the place that I had imagined. A wide open valley with little or no rocks visible through the snow and ice. At the far side was a wide hill that we could place the entire army on. As long as the Queen Mother stayed on our trail, she would walk right into this valley.

  Now once she saw us on the hill, I couldn’t guess whether or not she would stay in the valley, but looking at the hill from down in the valley I couldn’t see a reason for her to fear a trap or anything else.

   ’Beautiful little battle field. I’m willing to bet the Queen Mother will accept our invitation to battle.’

   ’Invitation?’ I asked, ’I didn’t know we needed to send one.’

   ’Roberto, would you be so kind as to take the army over the hill there,’ Hephaistion said kindly, ’If you would, have them set up camp just out of eyesight of where we are now.’

   ’Lead us up the hill John if you would please.’ requested Roberto. John turned and at a slow vampire jog, took the army up the long sloping hill.

   ’Conner just because we set up on the top of that hill,’ Hephaistion said pointing at the hill, ‘and wait for the Queen’s army to approach doesn’t mean that she’ll engage us.’

   ’If she wants to kill us why wouldn’t she?’

   ’The Queen Mother isn’t stupid Conner, she’ll know as soon as she sees us up there that we’re trying to us that hill as leverage against her.’

   ’What will happen if she doesn’t come up here to get us?’

   ’Then we’ll stand around and look at each other for a while in a stalemate. Now if she doesn’t think that hill will be a threat to her and her army, I have no doubt that she’ll walk right up there and try to kill us.’

   ’If she was standing on that hill with our numbers and we had been chasing her and she turned on a hill and committed to a battle here, what would you do?’ I asked.

   ’Attack.’

   ’Just like that?’

   ’No, I would take a look see around to make sure there was nothing that could jump out and get me, but if everything was what it is for us I think I would just line up and attack. Then make sure my flanks kept a good eye out for counter attacks.’

   ’I’m thinking of sending John to find the Queen Mother.’

   ’I was thinking of that myself. If he’ll go, I’m going to send some of my people with him. Conner I’ve got to ask you, I’ve tried for years to get John to do for me what he’s doing for you. How did you get John to scout for you?’

   ’John doesn’t scout for me, he scouts for himself. But because he so scared of Sebastian he does what he told.’

   ’Sebastian had worked for the Council for many years Conner, fear of Sebastian does not what motivates John to work for you.’

   ’Then it’s love.’

  Hephaistion laughed loudly at my comment, ’Conner I hate to break something to you, but you’re really not that pretty.’

  Hephaistion laughed again at his little joke.

   ’Not me ya a*s, Tabitha.’

   ’Your next door neighbor?

   ’Yeah. John made her into a vampire when Gloria and I were in Spain the first time. I think it was love at first sight. Tabitha loves Gloria and would never leave her, so John’s stuck with me whether he likes it or not. His only other choice is to leave Tabitha.’

   ’John Barleycorn the romantic, I would have never would have guessed it.’

  Hephaistion and I look around at our surroundings, I lightly jabbed the frozen ground with my toe, ’Hephaistion can I ask you something?’

   ’Sure.’

   ’Roberto said that Council’s summons was a sham to lead me into a trap, so you all could kill me. Is that true?’

  The right side of Hephaistion mouth curled up in a half smile, ’Conner the Council has tried to kill everyone and each other for thousands of years. Cline trying to secure a vampire throne is nothing new, we all agreed to get rid of the Queen so we could get that throne ourselves. The members of the Council have made and broke alliances with each other…’ Hephaistion just chuckled, ’What Mather did to Cline at the Council was just one of a hundred times that has happened. Cline made the mistake of trusting one of us more then he should.’

   ’How in the hell have you all not killed each other over the years?’

   ’We are either that good at staying alive, or we are just that bad at trying to be treacherous.’

   ’Having to deal with that kind of madness would make me crazy.’

   ’Not after you’ve lived a few thousand years.’ Hephaistion said quickly, ’You still see the world as a human Conner, one tends to get bored. I got news for you, there’s a very good chance that you’ll be sitting in Cline’s chair after all this is over.’

   ’Oh no, I ain’t being a part of you all’s craziness.’

   ’Well you should have thought about that before you killed Cline. Don’t worry about it Conner, we’ll all probably be dead in the next few days anyways. So cheer up!’ Hephaistion let out a large laugh.

   I turned and headed up the hill to find John; Hephaistion looked around for a second and followed me up to the new camp. The vampire soldiers did not waist anytime, they had marked off where all the tents were going to be set up. The large one that the Council had had met in was already up.

  Off by itself was a single pavilion for our people, Gloria waved at me when she saw me come around the large Council meeting tent.

   ’What’s wrong?’ she asked as a walked up to our group.

   ’Nothing.’

   ’Conner I can see there’s something wrong, you look upset.’

   ’Trust me it’s nothing, I’ll tell you later. John, I need to you to go find Hephaistion.’

   ’Let me guess, I’m going to go look for the Queen Mother?’

   ’Yeah something like that, but you won’t be going alone, he’s going to be sending a group with you. They’ll be under your command, make sure he and they understand that.’

   ’Well that at least makes me feel better.’ John said letting out a large breath.

   ’No funny stuff John, find them and get your a*s back there. We don’t need to know how many there are, we know there’s a lot. If you can confirm that the Queen Mother is with them, great. But don’t risk your neck over finding out. The most important thing you can tell us is whether or not she’s coming here.’

   ’Got it.’

   ’Make sure you stay in our trail, I don’t need her sniffing trail off the main path and end up having her come around somewhere else.’

   ’Got it. Find her army, how far away from us they are and get back here. If I can positively I.D. her then great, even though I have no idea what she looks like.’

   ’I’m sure you’ll know her if you see her.’ I said wondering what the Queen Mother would look like.

  During the times I spent with Roberto and Hephaistion I never once asked how she looked.

  John gave Tabitha a hug and headed back into the center of the camp to find Hephaistion, ’John, one other thing. Be careful.’

  John nodded and went to find Hephaistion. As I watched John go I caught sight of Horatio walking towards us. He was walking causally without a care in the world, in his hand he carried a bundle rapped in cloth.

   ’Hello Horatio,’

   ’Hello my Lord, my master sends his complements.’ he said handing me the bundle.

   ’What is it?’

   ’Something for your women to wear in battle. We do have a few women in the army; we need to be able to tell who is who.’

   ’What are we men wearing?’

   ’Your men and yourself will need to go topless, it is our way.’

   ’So no shirt. Got it, so will you be fighting Horatio?’

   ’Yes, if there is to be a battle, then I will be watching over the Master. He will be a target of opportunity; he will need to be protected.’

   ’Have you ever been in a battle before Horatio?’

   ’Yes. But nothing of this scale. The only ones besides the Ancients that have been in large scale fights such as this is Sebastian.’

   ’I’ve been in modern battles, but nothing like this.’

   ’I’m sure fighting is the same; it is where life and death meet. A warrior lives and dies at that place Conner, no matter what type of battle you are in that will never change. I am sure beyond a doubt that you will be fine.’

   ’I hope so.’

   ’Do not look for hope in battle my Lord. Did you not meet Cline in battle and win?’

   ’Yes.’

   ’No one would have thought to hope for victory in that, yet you found it. It is skill that you must put your trust, not in hope that you will survive.’

  I thought about what Horatio said for a second, ’Thank you Horatio.’

   ’You should not thank me my Lord, for I am nothing but a humble servant trying to serve.’ Horatio said bowing his normal bow.

  And with that, Horatio turned and walked away. I handed the bundle to Gloria, taking it she opened it. In side were four black karate fighting gees, each one were individually tied with a dark red ribbon. Each gee had a card with the names of each of our women written in it. Gloria led Tabitha, Emma and Maria to one of the tents so they could change in privet.  

  Sebastian walked over to me and smile, ‘So what do you think?’

   ‘Let’s take a walk.’

   Sebastian always smiled when I said that to him, he knew that something good was coming.

   ‘When the Queen gets here, do you think we’ll parley?’

   ‘I’m sure we will, why?’

  I smiled and said, ‘I think I’m going to give the Queen Mother a present.’

   ‘What present?’

   ‘That little package that we brought with us from France.’

   ‘I do not think that would be wise Conner. It’s considered bad manners to goad the enemy during the parley.’

   ‘I don’t care. I’m so tired of all this crap, I feel like I’m on the edge of a storm Sebastian.’

   ‘Are you okay Conner?’

   ‘I don’t know, I feel like I could take a nap. I remember when I was human I would wished that I didn’t have to sleep. But now that I don’t sleep I wish I could, just to take a break for a while.’

   ‘I can’t remember what sleeping was like.’ I smiled at his lack human memories, ‘So, did you and Hephaistion come up with a battle plan?’

   ‘No not yet. I think he wants to make sure the Queen will accept the invitation to battle as he put it.’

   ‘That’s smart, it keeps you flexible.’

   ‘I’ve gone over some battle plans in my head a few times, the only thing that I can really come to is to stand face to face with her and attack.’

   ‘That’s a good plan, no reason to over complicate it. When you look the enemy in the eye and lay into him, best plan you could ever have right there.’

   ‘I don’t care what everyone else does, I want the Queen Mother. Kill her, and the rest of the army will collapse.’

   ’You’re probably right. Now the trick is to put yourself into a position where you can get to her.’

   ’Yeah, but that’s nothing we can plan till we see their lines.’

   ’Well Conner, the Queen will know that she will be a target. So don’t think she’ll just let you walk up to her and chop her head off.’

   ’Well thank you captain obvious.’

  Sebastian and I chuckled, ’What do you think our chances are Sebastian?’

   ’If you can’t get to the Queen, not good. Not good at all. I do not think anyone here has the strength to meet her in battle Conner.’

   ’You did.’

   ’That was different.’

   ’How so?’

   ’You heard what I did to her?’

   ’Yes.’

   ’There was more to that story then what was told.’

   ’There normally is.’

   ’I was her slave, like Eric was to Cline. As a man I did not mind, the Queen was not like the other female vampires that you’ve seen, she was no Gloria.’ we chuckled again at his attempt to lighten the conversation.

  I knew that Sebastian did not like talking about the Queen Mother.

   ’When Hephaistion and Roberto approached me about betraying her it was right after Jericho was destroyed. They told me that it was necessary for the survival of our kind. I became her personal guard after Amid was killed, we were having a feast similar to the one that happened in that village back in South America. We captured several hundred humans and turned them lose within a field and feasted, men, women and children.’ Sebastian shook his head, ‘During the frenzy I grabbed the Queen Mother and violated her in front of all the Ancients and their high guard. Roberto and Hephaistion held her down and they all witness what was done to her. She cried for help but none would come to her aid. It broke her will that her children would do such a thing to her.

   ‘Conner I have no misunderstandings in that I am a monster, the brutality of what I did that night robs me of my peace. That is why I hate being bored, when I have nothing to distract me my mind always returns to what I did to her that night. Nothing that I have done since can compare to what I did that night.

   ‘That is why I could not feel anything towards that child in that village. That is why I don’t feel anything towards anyone or anything.’

   ‘Now I know that’s not true Sebastian, I know somewhere lost in that cold body of yours is a heart.’

   ‘Yeah, what makes you say that?’

   ‘Emma.’

  Sebastian smile and looked at the ground, ‘I don’t know what you’re talking about.’

   ‘Right. Look my friend, if you find yourself falling for her you need to come to terms with that. Let the past be the past, you were used to do an evil that you did not understand. You were lied to and used. So was I when I was a human. But you have a right to happiness; the world was shaped the way that it was because of what you did. Would you rather it had been that the Queen Mother ruled the world, or the Council from behind the scenes?

   ‘Yes it was an ugly thing that you did. But what can you do? You can’t die; you’re not going to commit suicide. And now you’ve found someone that you love and I think loves your twisted a*s back.’

  Sebastian smiled at my remark, ‘Do you think she loves me?’

   ‘Who did she cling too back in the Atlantic Ocean? Do you think she spared with you all those time because she needed the practice? You said yourself she was a natural.’

   ’Yeah, I guess you’re right.’

 

 That evening John and the vampire reconnaissance squad returned from their mission. The Two Ancients, Hephaistion and Roberto. Sebastian, Gloria, Pablo and I met with John to hear his report.

   ’They’re coming this way. They’re not protecting their flanks, nor do they have skirmishers out in front. I do not know if they’re keeping a rear guard or not. I did not go around behind them to check.’

   ’Horribly reckless of them.’ Hephaistion said, ’Looks like the old lady is quite confident in herself.’

   ’Could you guess her numbers John?’ asked Roberto.

   ’I would say around a legion.’

   ’Oh my…’ Gloria said quietly.

   ’And we’re sitting at the head of just over seven hundred.’ Roberto said to himself, ’Even if we had Cline’s guard we would still be horribly out numbered.’

   ’Did they see you John?’ I asked.

   ’If they did, they didn’t seem to care. I think she wants us to know she’s coming.’

   ’You saw her?’ Pablo asked.

   ’I think so, she was up front in the center of a large group that was leading the march.’

   ’When do you think she will arrive?’ I asked.

   ’Late tomorrow morning at the latest I believe.’

   ’And she’s heading right down our trail here?’ I inquired further.

   ’Yes. Unless she changes direction which I do not believe she will, she’ll come right into the valley below us.’

   ’I think we need to get a perimeter set up several mile outside camp and run patrols through the night so if they make it here earlier we’ll have some kind of a warning.’ Sebastian suggested.

   ’I agree.’ Hephaistion said.

   ’We’ll stay in camp till morning unless she shows up early. But once the sun comes up I want the army to be ready to form up on a moment’s notice.’ I said to Hephaistion.

   ’How will we be forming up?’ he asked.

   ’Sebastian and I were talking earlier, we’re heavily outnumbered. So no matter what kind of formation we take we’ll be surrounded almost immediately, so there’s no point in stretching our lines out.

   ’I’ll be going right for the Queen Mother, we kill her and her lines will break.’

   ’I agree.’ Hephaistion said.

   ’She will be well guarded.’ Roberto said.

   ’I figure we focus the main part of the attack right at her, then protect that attack’s flanks. I bet we could penetrate her lines enough for us to get to her.’ I explained.

   ’And which of us will lead that suicidal attack?’ Hephaistion asked.

   ’I will.’ I said, the despair in Gloria’s eyes was obvious.

   ‘I’ll get the patrols going.’ Hephaistion said getting up from his chair.

   ‘Okay. Make sure you let the army know what’s going on Hephaistion.’

   ‘They don’t need to know, when we figure out how we’re lining up, I’ll tell them where to stand. They don’t need any more instructions than that. Stand still, run, attack, it’s all second nature to them.’

   ‘Okay. I’m going to talk to my people, then I’ll be around.’

   ‘You got it.’ Hephaistion smiled, turned and went out of the tent.

 



© 2010 John A. Hill


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on July 25, 2010
Last Updated on July 25, 2010


Author

John A. Hill
John A. Hill

WA



About
hey everyone, i hope you like "A Killer's Love." if you do, i've made a page on Facebook for it. since i can't find an agent i would do my best to attracted one by word of mouth. here's the link: htt.. more..

Writing
prologue prologue

A Chapter by John A. Hill


friendship friendship

A Chapter by John A. Hill