the day the levy broke

the day the levy broke

A Chapter by John A. Hill

The Day the Levy Broke

As I walked slowly through the Paris airport, my hand throbbed. I hated being back here, but it was nice knowing that I would be safe until I healed. As I walked outside it didn’t take me long to find the car that was waiting for me. As I walked up to the white Rolls Royce the driver got out and opened the back door for me.

As I climbed in, I noticed there was an escort waiting for me. He was a large man with a no nonsense look on his face. The driver shut the door and pulled away from the curb into traffic.

"Good afternoon." I said trying not to be rude.

"Afternoon." he said looking straight ahead.

"So who are you?" I asked.

"No one of importance."

"Aren’t you a cheerful one?"

"It is not my job to be friendly or to make conversation with anyone."

"That’s apparent, what

is your job?" I asked getting irritated. I wasn’t used to such unfriendliness from Brotherhood members.

"To deliver you safely to the Board."

"Great. I feel safer by the moment." I wished my hand wasn’t hurt, I would have taught this big boy some manners.

As we drove, I noticed we were leaving Paris, "I thought we were meeting the Board?"

"We are."

"The Board isn’t meeting in Paris?"

"No."

"Do you mind telling me where the Board is meeting?"

"Reims."

"Why is it not meeting in Paris?"

"Because it’s not. The Board does not explain itself to me. I do its bidding, not the other way around."

We road the rest of the way in silence. The car pulled up to a hotel and I tried to

get out, but the door wouldn’t open from the inside.

"What the hell is this?" I asked.

My escort didn’t answer, he just exited the car and came over and opened my door. As we walked up to the hotel, we were joined by two other large men. What the hell is going on I thought to myself. The three men escorted me to a large conference room. At the doors, there were two men guarding them. When we approached they opened them for us, but I was the only one that entered the room.

The entire Board was there except for king toady, something that surprised me but I tried not to show it. All of the men looked extremely grave. Obviously something of importance had happened while I was traveling.

"Sit down." Sebastian said motioning to one of the chairs around the large table.

I sat waiting for whatever was coming. I waited not wanting to be the first one to start. My hand throbbed in my sling, I felt jet lagged and wanted to sleep. I waited while the board watched me become more and more uncomfortable.

"Why are we not meeting in Paris?" I asked.

"Do you mind telling me what happened in Seattle yesterday?" Sebastian asked.

"How should I know, I was on a plane coming here." the questing threw me.

"We figured you would be able to shed some light on what happened there."

"I was never in Seattle. I few in there and I few out of there, if something happened in Seattle I don’t see why you would think I would know about it. And why are we here and not in Paris?"

"Because the Seattle chapter of the Brotherhood is all but annihilated."

"What?" I asked in disbelief.

"And, we figured because your sword was found stuck in a pool table there, you would be able to shed some light on what happened."

I was shocked; never could I remember someone being brave enough, or crazy enough to attack the Brotherhood in this way.

"Well I didn’t do it." I said at a loss for words.

Sebastian exploded, he struck the table with his fist and jumped to his feet, "I didn’t think you did you jack-a*s!" he shouted, "You were on a flight here. But what I would like to know is why the Seattle Police believe there was only one

killer. Do you know why they think that?"

"Why?" I asked.

"Because the only foot print they found there that did not match up to any of the victim’s was a size eight footprint. You know who I bet wears a size eight?"

"No."

"A certain vampire by the name of Penelope Alexander!" Sebastian shouted, "Now would you explain to this board why that certain vampire would feel the need to attack the Seattle chapter?"

"I wouldn’t know." I said.

"Perhaps it has to do with your hand? Perhaps you might want to explain how you lost your sword? Or why a vampire would leave your sword in a way that would point at you?"

"I don’t understand."

"Your sword was buried in a pool table looking like something out of the story of King Arthur."

*

I looked at the tomahawk in my right hand and gripped it tightly. I threw myself off the roof and flew right at the man waiting outside the hall. My attack was so fast he didn’t even have a chance to be surprised. I swung my tomahawk from left to right across the man’s stomach. As his bowels spilled out, I stabbed him through the armpit. The blade of my knife punctured his lung and heart.

As I landed the blow with the knife, I came down hard with my tomahawk on the top of the shoulder. I pulled the knife from his side and stabbed him under the chin. I held him up by the knife.

I pushed open the door and with the knife still in his head, I brought him in and dropped him on the floor. I slammed the door hard enough that it went though the jam and would be impossible to open from this side.

As I turned in the foyer a man came out of a bathroom to my right. I buried my

knife in his chest and hacked across the throat with my tomahawk. I let go of my knife as he went down. I switched my tomahawk into my left hand and drew my sword.

I kicked the door off its hinges that led into the main hall. The whole room froze with my entrance. There were men playing pool at several tables, there were three or four card games going on. And a few TVs with guys playing video games. All of their eyes were on me.

I jumped up on one of the card tables and took a head before anyone could move. Half the room tried to run from my rage, the other half grabbed weapons that were on display around the room.

One man came at me with a spear; I checked it with my tomahawk and buried my sword right in his face. I took my sword with my left hand, then grabbed the dropped spear and hurled it towards the exit. It shish kabobed three men and they went down.

Several men tried to fight bravely, they had some skill with the sword, but they were no match for me. Whether they fought or ran, they all fell to my sword. Within about two minutes the room was completely quiet. I returned my sword to its scabbard, not a single one of them was Arthur, great.

I went through the hall and dragged all the men into the main room. Some were still alive, but that wouldn’t last. I looked around the hall and saw what I was looking for. There against the wall on the floor was a battle axe. I walked over to it; I picked it up and set it on one of the pool tables. Before I started my grizzly work I needed Arthur’s sword.

I quickly retrieved it and my cape. I took forty-three heads that night, I stabbed Arthur’s sword in the center of one pool tables like Excalibur in the stone. I left all the heads of the dead piled around the sword, Arthur wasn’t going to run and hide now.

*

"Did you go back to the vampire’s residence after I told you to leave her in peace?" Sebastian asked.

Normally I would have lied; normally I wouldn’t have failed as I did. So now I didn’t have much of a choice, the creature had come looking for me and took her wrath out on the Seattle Brotherhood.

"I went back to her house this past Tuesday night. I tried to kill her, but she awoke when I attacked her. We fought, inflicted damage on each other and I fled."

"Is that how your hand was injured?" Sebastian asked.

"Yes."

"Will you be able to use a sword again?" he asked.

"Yes. In a few weeks probably. I lost half of my pinky finger and have a deep cut on my ring finger. But it will not impede my ability to use a sword."

"That’s good. Now I must ask you, you must be truthful in your answer."

"Yes Brother."

"Did you harm the creature’s lover?" Sebastian asked.

"No." the room seemed to breathe easier with my answer.

"At least that some good news." Sebastian said.

"Brother, why are we not meeting in Paris, what’s happened there."

"The reason why we wanted you back here was not because we didn’t want you to kill the creature. But because our Order is in grave danger. Lord Herrick has betrayed everything we stand for. He’s been taking payoffs from vampires to be left in peace." Sebastian explained.

"Was that why he was so slow to respond in Greece?" I asked.

"Yes. We were going to quietly remove him from power so the vampire world would be unaware of our division. Now that a massacre happened in Seattle at the hands of a vampire, Lord Herrick has called the Board to meet in Paris. Which is not there at the moment but here.

"The Lord Herrick may be a rat, but he‘s not an idiot. He knows there is going to be treachery because all of us are missing. If you would have come back quietly, there would have been a peaceful transition of power. Now, that is all but impossible."

"So what’s going to happen?" I asked.

"You’re going to be detained for a time."

"Detained?" I asked too shock to say anything else.

"Yes, until we can figure out your fate."

"I don’t understand."

"Your gross insubordination and lack respect for the decisions of those above you has started civil war within the Brotherhood. Your contempt of the leadership of our Order is obvious to all, but it’s nothing you need worry about now. It is safe to say that your time as a brother is over, now it’s just a matter of how and when." Sebastian waved me away and someone called for the guards.

"My sword Brother?" I asked.

"It’s on its way back here. But you’ll never see it again."

*

"Pip?" Anne asked answering her cell phone.

"Hey babe."

"Oh my God. Are you okay? Where are you?"

"I’m okay; I’m here at Tammy’s. I’m up on the roof."

"You don’t sound okay."

"It was a rough night."

"Are you ready to go home?"

"Yes, go ahead and leave. I’m too messy to ride with you; I follow from the air back to the house."

"Okay. Are you sure you’re okay?"

"Physically yes, I’m okay."

"Okay, I’m going out the door now. Bye Tammy, thanks." Anne came out and shut the door behind her.

"Pip?" she quietly called out.

"Here." I said from above her, "Go ahead baby, I watching you. No one will hurt

you, I promise."

"I want to see you." Anne said becoming more and more upset.

"Listen baby. I’m covered in blood, don’t worry, none of its mine. But I can’t be seen by anyone right now. Let’s get back to the house so I can get out of this suit and get cleaned up."

"Okay." Anne said heading down the stairs for the parking lot.

My back was killing me from flying in the armor, and the stench of the blood was making me sick to my stomach. Most of all I just wanted to hold Anne and go to sleep.

I flew about forty feet above Anne as she drove back to the house. I let my eyes sweep ahead on the road in front of her, making sure there was no ambush waiting for us. As we got close to the house, I flew ahead and made sure the property around the house was clear. As Anne pulled onto the driveway I landed in front of the house to wait for her.

As the headlights rested on me, Anne quickly turned off the engine and came running to me crying. She had seen all the dried blood caked on me. She wrapped her arms around me and cried.

We held onto each other as we walked up to the front door. Anne unlocked it and we stepped in, and for the first time since I moved in here I set the alarm. We walked into the garage so I could get out of my armor.

I pulled my wings inside my body to make it easier to get out of everything. Anne helped me get everything off and I left it in a heap by the door that led into the kitchen. We walked up stairs and Anne got me into the shower. After I got all the blood off of me and out of my hair, I got into pajamas and cried myself to sleep in Anne’s arms. She didn’t ask about Seattle.

I awoke to the sound of the news on the TV. Anne had the sound down, but I could hear what she was watching before I even opened my eyes. The story was about what I did in Seattle last night; it had made the international news. They were calling it the single largest mass murder at one time in the history of America. I was grateful they had left out the details of what I had done.

I turn over and looked at the TV, I watched as the news anchor recapped on the night’s gory details. They showed a live feed of the building from across the

street. I was grateful to hear the police had no witnesses or leads.

"You made the news." Anne said sadly.

"I see that."

"I can’t help but feel bad for their families."

"I know."

"But those same people would have killed you if they had the chance, even before you went there."

"Yes they would have."

"It just isn’t fair. Why couldn’t they just leave us alone?"

"Because they don’t understand us, that’s why. There are places in the world that the Brotherhood is necessary. But they don’t asked questions on whether we‘re good or not."

"Are we in danger?"

"I am, but you don’t have to be." I said sadly. Anne didn’t deserve this.

"How can you say that?" she said shutting off the TV, "You and I are one and the same, what they do to you they do to me. I saw you when you came home; I saw the pain you were in. Do you think you carry that pain alone?"

I grabbed Anne’s face lightly between my hands and touched her forehead to mine, "I love you so much." I said on the verge of tears.

"I love you too." Anne said, "What are we going to do?"

"Our boat will be delivered to the marina next to the navy base the day after tomorrow. I say we pack, lay low, and when it gets here, we locate ourselves elsewhere."

"Maybe take our summer trip a little early?" Anne asked through her tears.

"Yes."

We got up and got dress, Anne helped me carry all my armor from the garage. We did our best to clean all the blood off from the night before. I oiled the leather down and sprayed the chain mail down with gun oil. When I was satisfied that it was clean enough we did the same with my weapons. I stuffed everything into a duffel bag except my sword.

Dave called later that day when he saw my story on the news; I recommended that he got out of Dodge for a while. At least until the heat died down, we had no

idea how the Brotherhood was going to react. I figured that soon it would be open season on vampires in Oak Harbor.

Monday afternoon we packed up the boat and went back to the house. I wasn’t too big on the idea of leaving a car there; Anne wasn’t sure how we were going to get back to the marina after I told her we weren’t going to take a cab.

"We’re going to fly." I said as it got dark.

"What?" she asked a little in shock.

"We’re going to fly."

We went out on the bedroom’s balcony and I boosted her up onto the roof, "Be right back. I’m going to lock up the house and set the alarm."

"Okay." Anne said a little unsure.

I closed up the house, set the alarm and walked around the back of the house where Anne was sitting on the roof.

"Damn it." I said when I didn’t think about changing into something I could fly in.

I was wearing jeans, a tank-top and a little zip up sweatshirt.

"What is it?" Anne called down from the roof.

"Nothing, didn’t think about what I was wearing." I said pulling off my sweatshirt and tank-top. I let out my wing and flew up on the roof.

"Sexy." Anne said when she saw me.

"Shut up. Climb on my back and hold on." Anne climbed on piggy-back and I headed towards the edge.

"Are you sure this is going to work?"

"No." I said jumping off.

Anne screamed as we fell for a half a second. I played the fall as much as I could and shot up into the air pumping my wings for everything they were worth. It was awkward trying to fly with Anne on my back, but not impossible.

For the most part, all I could do was glide. But we made it there without too much trouble. We set down on the dock next to where the boat was moored. I wasn’t used to fly double so we came down in a heap. Anne laughed but skinned up one of her knees. I got up and put my clothes back on, Anne sat on the dock rubbing her leg that she skinned up.

"That was incredible." Anne said as I helped her to her feet.

"I’m glad you liked it."

We climbed onto the boat and I started the engines. I let them warm up and went and unplugged the shore power and untied the bow and stern lines. Anne kind of stood in the way not really sure where to sit.

"Come on." I said taking her with me to the helm. The boat had a small bench made for two.

We sat and I powered the boat away from the dock. We pulled out of the bay into Crescent Harbor. The large powerful boat cut through the water with a confident finesse. Anne got cold and went into the cabin to put on a heavier sweatshirt and to grab a blanket.

Anne laid her head on my shoulder as we headed east towards Camano Island. After about two hours we rounded the north side of it.

"Are we going to be much longer? I’m getting sleepy." Anne asked.

"About another hour. We’re heading to a small cove on the east side of the island. I figured if we can make it there, it would be a good place to stay for the night."

"Sounds good."

I could tell Anne was fading fast, "Why don’t you go down in the cabin, turn on the heat and go to sleep?"

Anne pulled me closer, "No."

Poor Anne did the head nod thing until I cut the motors, she was instantly awake, "Where are we?"

"Triangle Cove. It’s on the east side of Camano Island." I went up into the bow and dropped the anchor. Once I was satisfied that it was secure, Anne and I went down into the cabin and went to sleep.

The next morning I really opened it up and haul butt towards Seattle. Though I could see as well at night as I could in the day time, I wasn’t too familiar with the boat. Now after some boosted confidence from last night, I really started having some fun. The weather was getting warm for springtime surprisingly, but it was a bit windy. Anne and I laughed as we jumped some large waves. Once she about fell off the bench as we went up one wave and crashed through the next.

It took about three hours to get to Seattle. Anne seemed a little unsettled as she took in the city skyline.

"Are we staying here?" she yelled over the sound of the engines.

"For now I think. It’s the one place I know that’s free of the Brotherhood. Hey don’t worry about it. We’re going to work our way into Lake Washington. If you’re brave enough to risk the cold maybe we can do a little swimming if the weather holds." Anne smiled but I could tell there was stress behind it.

We cruised into Salmon Bay, Anne loved the Ballard Locks. The locks allowed us to go from the salt water of Puget Sound into the fresh water canal that ran into Lake Union and then into Lake Washington.

When we entered Lake Union I cruised to the north part of the lake so Anne could see Gas Works Park. Gas Works was a small city park that used to belong to the Seattle Gas Light Company. It’s said that the works that are still there are the last coal gasification plant in the United States.

As we cruised through Portage Bay and into Lake Washington, I really opened it up. It was amazing to fly across the water in that large boat at fifty miles per hour. I headed east across the lake to Juanita Bay.

Surprisingly it was a warm day for April, as I anchored the boat Anne went and changed into her white bikini. I smiled when I saw her.

"What? I need some sun on this pale body of mine." she said as she laid a towel down on the bow.

I laid back against the windshield and placed my hands behind my head.

"It’s a beautiful day today." I said looking up at the sky.

"Yeah." Anne said.

It felt nice to not to feel under the constant strain of danger, to be in relative safety. We were far enough out from the shore that a person couldn’t swim, and there was no way someone could approach us without hearing their engine. Of course they could use a rowboat, but those sorts of things I couldn’t worry about. We laid out in the sun for about an hour before Anne dropped a bombshell on me.

"So you’re really powerful when it comes to vampires right?"

"Something like that."

"And the reason is because of who created you?"

"Yes."

"Would you consider yourself one of the most powerful vampires in America?"

"Yes, why?" I asked sitting up.

Anne didn’t respond right away. She was content just to play footsies with me.

"Anne was there a purpose for your question?" I asked not really sure where she was trying to lead me.

"No, I was just wondering."

I pulled my feet away from her, "Anne, I know you well enough to know there’s something brewing in that pretty little head of yours."

"No it’s nothing."

"Are you worried that I won’t be able to protect you?"

"No."

"What is it?"

"I want you to change me."

I just looked at her, when I didn’t answer her she sat up. We just looked at each other; I knew this was going to come sooner or later. It wasn’t that I was opposed to having her with me like that, I just didn’t know. It didn’t seem right for some reason.

"Do you not want me that way?" Anne asked starting to look hurt.

"No it’s not that, I don’t know. I’m not sure why."

"Do you not love me enough?"

"Anne, you know that’s not it."

"Then why?"

"You know what? In truth I’ve thought about it. And I can’t for one good reason see why not to make you like me. I know you love me. I know you would be almost as powerful as me. But for the life of me I can’t think of a good reason not to want to change you."

"Well, it would be nice not to be a bystander when the storm comes."

"I doubt I could teach you enough in the time we have though."

"Well the time is going to come and go regardless."

"I don’t have what I need to change you, but that’s an easy fix. Being on the boat

would be a good place to do it."

"What would you need?"

"A store. I would need to get some more meat. Because if something happened you would be too sick to do anything. And I would be way too weak to defend us."

Anne and I pulled into a marina on the eastside of the lake and caught a cab to the nearest grocery story. I bought a few beef roast and a couple of racks of ribs and we headed back to the boat.

We went back through the Ballard Locks and shot out back into Elliot Bay. We traveled south towards Vashon Island; once we were well passed the ferry lanes I killed the engines.

"Anne I don’t feel good about this." I said to her.

"It’ll be okay." she said touching my face.

Anne got up and pulled me to my feet. She opened the cabin door and went down the steps, I reluctantly followed her.

"Don’t worry baby, it will all be over soon." Anne said soothingly.

"I feel like we’re in a role reversal or something."

Anne reached up and took my face and kissed me lightly. I sighed and let my face change. This couldn’t be the way. I knew it was inevitable, Anne couldn’t continue being on the fringe of my life, she had to be everything or nothing. And if those were my choices, I would choose everything.

Anne took my hand and led me to the bed in the bow, and like classic Anne she made a joke. Anne put the back of her hand against her forehead and very dramatically swooned onto the bed.

"You’re so magical I can’t help myself, take me!" she said pulling the shirt that she had put on away from her neck.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head, "Can you be any more ridicules?"

"Yes I can. Watch!" Anne sat up and put her hands on the side of her face.

"Oh,

please, miss scary sexy vampire lady! Please don’t bite me!" Anne said in a horribly bad, dramatic southern accent, "What will I do? Your eyes are so hypnotic, it tells my body to say yes, but I know I should try to get away!"

"You’re on boat you goof, you can’t get away. Plus, you aren’t going to find this so funny in a few days." I said flatly.

"Pip, you’re the only one who’s making this dramatic."

"

Really?"

"Yes."

I just shook my head, "Let’s get this over with."

"Don’t be such a martyr."

Anne laid back and reached out for me, I laid down on her and bit her neck. Anne rapt her legs around me and pulled me tight. I closed my eyes and let her warmth fill me.

*

A week. Nothing, not a word from the Board. I had been confined in a small farm house outside of Reims. Though it was secluded, it was comfortable. Well, except for the armed human watchdogs.

There were always four of them. I could walk around the property, but always under guard. If only I had my sword, these blokes wouldn’t be so tough.

I was starting to think of fighting one of them, my hand was healing up nice. But they were never to be found alone. Plus, they respected me enough to never come within arm’s reach of me.

Something must have been decided by now. The Brotherhood has never been known for putting off decisions. I knew if they came for me I wouldn’t go to the slaughter like a spring lamb. I didn’t care if they brought twenty men, someone would die with me.

I stood in the living room looking out the window brooding when I saw a car driving up to the house. Looks like someone’s figured out what to do. The guards didn’t switch out for another few hours.

I looked at my watch, "Looks like someone wants to have lunch with the condemned." I said turning to the guards.

I walked over and opened the front door. Outside, the guards waited for the visitor to arrive. The black sedan pulled up to the steps and one of the guards

opened the back door to let out the visitor. I recognized him immediately, Samson.

"Figures. It’s always the best friend."

Samson had a long thin white box with a bow around it. From what I could tell it had long stem flowers in it.

"Come in old friend," I said.

Samson and I sat in the two chairs that sat in front of the living room’s fire place.

"You two can wait elsewhere." Samson said to one to the guards.

"Sir we’re supposed to stay…"

"I know what your orders are; I’m the one who wrote them. Not beat it; I need to talk to Arthur alone."

The guards bowed to Samson’s authority. The excused themselves into the kitchen.

"What’s been happening old friend?" I asked.

"Our world is in chaos. King Toad gathered troops when we didn’t come to Paris. So now the there’s civil war."

"Great."

"That’s why they haven’t killed you yet. Sebastian planned on it. But once King Toad gathered troops he delayed the order. He wants to try to find a way to bring you back into the fold."

"That ship long set sail."

"He knows that. But he didn’t want you going with the toad either."

"He didn’t?"

"Now he has other problems."

"Like?"

"King Toad is dead."

I couldn’t mask my shock, "What?"

"After your little vampire friend in Washington State wiped out Seattle, others got the same idea. A powerful clan out of Romania killed him Tuesday morning."

"Holy cow."

"That’s not all, three other chapter have been wiped out across Europe. The

vampires have settled down for the most part now that the Brotherhood has mobilized. But now there’s a power grab."

"Who do you think is going to win?"

"Sebastian. He still has the support of the Board. But who’s knows."

"Any word on Penelope Alexander?" "None. And to my knowledge, they’re not going to pursue her."

I just shook my head, "She kills a whole chapter and the Board ignores her."

"It’s not that they’re ignoring her, they’re just blaming you for it."

"And that is exactly the reason I’m tired of the Brotherhood. They’re taking the easy way out. Do they not know what that one vampire is capable of? Yeah, sure she’s living in peace with her surrounding for now. But what happens when she creates thirty more like her?

"Samson, I’ve fought that woman. I know what she’s capable of, I know Samson. And with the Brotherhood at each other’s throats, she could make an army that we couldn’t defeat. They have got to know that!"

"Yes."

"And what about me? Are they just seeing if they can win without me? And if they can’t, try to make nice with me so I can do Sebastian’s dirty work?"

"I think that’s his plan."

"Well bollocks to him and his plan."

"You know, there is some of the Board who would agree with you if they had the chance."

"Yeah right."

"Well Arthur, that’s why I got you these." he said handing me the box of flowers.

"I don’t need flowers old friend."

"These ones you do. Please, from a friend to a friend."

I took the flowers from him and noted instantly there was more to those flower than a pleasant aroma. I opened the box, and there under them was my sword.

"They’re the nicest flowers anyone has given me. You know, they’ll kill you for giving me these."

"So be it. I would rather die for the cause, than betray an oath to a Brother."

"And you will Brother."

"Also, take this." Samson said handing me and envelope.

I opened it; in side were my wallet, passport and cell phone.

"Well, I must go. I hope you use these flowers for the best."

"I will."

"Alas, I must go."

"Until I see you again Brother, in this life, or the next."

With that Samson left. I sat in the chair looking at the empty fire place. I wonder if they looked at me that way. Old logs that the fire has gone out on. But one good spark could reignite those logs. And if you kicked those logs out onto the floor, well, then you had a serious problem.

"Sir, with respect to Brother Samson we allowed your meeting with him. But you are not to have anything from the outside world. Those were our orders, I’m sorry, but you must give us the flowers." one of the guards asked from behind me.

"Sure." I said with a smile, looks like they’re gonna kick the logs. I stood up. Keeping my back to guards, I drew my sword. I looked at it, turning the blade slightly one way and then the other.

"I’m going to give you all one chance to walk away." I said without turning, the guards all drew they’re swords.

"I was hoping that would be your answer." I said turning, "Who’s first?"

The first guard rushed. He brought his sword down in a high arch. I checked his swing, spun, and opened his throat with a back cut.

I kept my momentum and charged. All three guards came at me at once. One of them slashed at me, I leaned away and thrust my sword right through his breast bone. I yanked my sword out and checked a sword stroke and chopped one of them across the eyes.

I could see the panic of the remaining guard, "It’s too late to run now.

The guard ran for the kitchen, I threw my sword at him striking him in the back. I stood there amidst the carnage and rubbed my hand. The only sound was my breathing and the whimpers of the blinded guards. I pulled my sword out of the back of the dead guard and finished off the blinded one.

I sighed deeply, "That wasn’t even worth the effort. I’m going to need a car."

I looked at my watch, I still had a few hours until the relief came, "I think I’ll

have some lunch." I said wiping the blood off my sword.



© 2012 John A. Hill


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on May 18, 2012
Last Updated on May 18, 2012


Author

John A. Hill
John A. Hill

WA



About
hey everyone, i hope you like "A Killer's Love." if you do, i've made a page on Facebook for it. since i can't find an agent i would do my best to attracted one by word of mouth. here's the link: htt.. more..

Writing
prologue prologue

A Chapter by John A. Hill


friendship friendship

A Chapter by John A. Hill