Kigo in Conflict with Inverse Mora

Kigo in Conflict with Inverse Mora

A Poem by Jon Gary Frost
"

This is the first haiku I've written in years. The underlying theme is the conflict of metaphorical Kigo (inferring youth as spring and adulthood as autumn). The inversed mora was to convey the struggle depicted.

"

 

The little boy inside me,

longs to shed his pains.

The man I am can't face them.

 

 

© 2009 Jon Gary Frost


Author's Note

Jon Gary Frost
This is the first haiku I've written in years. The underlying theme is the conflict of metaphorical kigo (inferring youth as spring and adulthood as autumn). The inversed mora (mine of 7-5-7 vs 5-7-5) is intentional and was meant to convey the struggle depicted in the poem.The .jpeg attached is the Japanese character for integration.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Congrats on your great inversed haiku

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Neg
I like how you went with the 7-5-7 version of a haiku. Its like an inverse haiku. Very original, I think many people have felt like this before. Keep up the good work.

Posted 14 Years Ago


So much said with so few words, and with an intriguing structure.

I enjoyed this very much.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
I do like this a good deal, though I'd still argue that this is not a haiku if only because of its form. Otherwise, it's a fantastic three line poem. Everyone has felt what you're talking about here at some point or another -- the child version of me would stomp on my toe and shoot me a dirty look. When I was reading, though, I pictured (if this makes sense) a child trying to literally claw his way out of imprisonment within the adult version of himself. Though rather gorey and grotesque, I think it could make a fantastic longer poem... You wouldn't even have to mention being trapped -- just describe getting out. Or being trapped. Make it a weird science project that none of the other kids understand or appreciate. ;) I like where you're going with this, but I think you could go one more and make this idea/experience even more personal.

Otherwise, I think this is fantastic. Keep up the good work, and I'll certainly be reading more.

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
jen
this is wonderful... i have toyed with haiku but feel that this is a very successful one more so with the accompanying description you offer regarding it's structure..

and mostly because it conveys what i believe we all struggle with... really nicely done

Posted 14 Years Ago


I am familiar with Haiku, but have never written one. That being said, I think that the underlying meaning of your poem was communicated very effectively. I just read that rules of writing were made for exceptions. I think it is great that you took a different road with the Haiku and to me, the meaning was clear. I think that this is a universal struggle and it was simply and beautifully expressed in your poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


First note, this isn't a haiku. A haiku form is 5-7-5. You have a 7-5-7 scheme. Now, that being said, the message of this is perfectly spot on. I enjoyed the thought of this immensely (as sad as it may be). Kudos.

Posted 14 Years Ago


How brilliant was this Jon. Very original the way you went with the 7 - 5 - 7 metrical phrases,
as opposed to the more standard Haiku of 5 - 7 - 5. I am a great believer in not always following
structural norms, besides Basho and his contemporaries had their own style. Good job indeed!

Helena

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2009
Last Updated on June 9, 2009

Author

Jon Gary Frost
Jon Gary Frost

Nashville, TN



About
15 years of writer's block later, I'm back at it. I look forward to any and all feedback, but.....please critique my work on it's merit. If you disagree with an underlying message or opinion, that.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..