Charlie's Gift

Charlie's Gift

A Story by Joshua Cornil

Let me tell you of a man named Charlie. He seemed like any other man, but there was more to him than meets the eye. You see, Charlie has a power. Not such powers as Flying or Super Strength, no, his power was far more unique. Charlie had the power to bring anything he imagined to life. But there was a catch, he could only bring whole thoughts to life. If there was any imperfection, the thought would not come true.
 For any other person, this might have been an impossible feat. For Charlie, however, this was but child's play, for he was the most intelligent person on the planet. There was nothing that he couldn't imagine, so one day he said he would grant the person that could baffle him with an image so off that even he could not bring to life. On the day of the competition there were hundreds of challengers. Charlie thought to himself,"I have no time for their feeble minds." Charlie thought about how to rid himself of the weak minded, and in an instant he had the solution. With a motion of his hand, fifty chickens appeared,  everyone was baffled at first glance, however with further investigation the confused crowd noticed gold necklaces tied upon the necks. In the moments after, the bewildered crowd, now the form of a frenzied mob attempt to catch the chickens.The nimble chickens led all but three competitors. 
The first was a well built man in his thirties, with a rough beard and shaggy black hair, his name was Rage. Charlie asks Rage why he did not rush towards the gold? Rage shouts with a deep, stern voice,"Because when I win, I will be so strong that i could simply take what I want." Charlie, with a smug grin says,"I see, so what is it that you have for me?" Rage says,"A black Tyrannosaurus Rex, the size of a mountain, with teeth and claws made of the hardest metal!" With little effort Charlie creates the monstrosity, and without hesitation Rage commands the beast to attack Charlie. "What a fool!" Charlie says with little emotion, with a motion of his arm, the ground beneath Rage and his abomination, becomes a pit three miles deep. Rage and the monster drown to death together.
The second was a beautiful young woman in her twenties. She wore the most elegant clothes, embroidered with jewels, and her face was as smooth as the best skipping stone, her name was Abigale. Charlie asks Abigale," So why did you not chase after the gold necklace?" Abigale responds with an aggravated expression," Do you not see how beautiful and rich I am! I can buy all the gold I want after I win." Charlie with an amussed smirk  replies," Okay so what is it that you challenge me with?" Abigale, with a look of confidence says," I want you to make a coat made of gold and covered with diamonds the size of eyes." And with a wave of the hand, an incredible coat, made from gold that seemed to shine as bright as the sun, and diamonds so beautiful you would be mesmerized at a single glance into them. And that is exactly what happen to Abigale, she took one look and she was overtaken. Abigale, with the speed of a lion pouncing on its helpless prey. Before the thought could fully form, Abigale had already put on the coat made of gold and diamonds the size of eyes, but with a coat so encrusted with diamonds and woven of gold, its weight would as heavy as it was beautiful. Within seconds Abigale was crush and killed, Charlie with a face of stone says,"so predictable, the greed of the weak minded." 
The third challenger was neither strong nor young, the third was but a sticky old man that looked as if he knew the Earth when it was but a child, and his name was John. Even Charlie, for a moment, was dumbfounded, but quickly gained composure. Charlie asks the frail old man," So what do you and your experienced mind have for me? Fire that burns cold? A mirror that takes you into another dimension?" John shakes his head and says," No, such things are materialistic and trivial. What i truly want you to fully imagine is LOVE." Charlie with a face of discontent replies," Such a thing is of no use to me!" John smiles and says," You say nothing is impossible, not was too much a feat for you, but do you tell me that you can not imagine love?" Charlie with much anger sneers," Okay so you have found something so preposterous that even i can not find imaginable!"
And so the winner, not a man stronger than any other, or a woman so beautiful that all fail in comparison, but a frail, weak old man that only had love in his heart. Charlie asks," So what do you wish for? Money? Youth?" "No, all I want is for you to use your powers until you know of love," John explains. Charlie, now completely shocked, promises to uphold his promise, leaves in search of love, and has not been herd of again......

© 2011 Joshua Cornil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You write so well! Wow josh you should write another sequel. Your story was funny but serious too. I like the smugness of Charlie. Hopefully he learns what is better than being intelligent.. LOVe oh yeah! You just had a few errors that kind of hurt the story but not really.
errors: "amussed" "herd" and some sentences were fragments..

Posted 13 Years Ago


no he went out to search for it, i'm debating whether or not to make a sequel?

Posted 13 Years Ago


Meant so charlie found love? lol sorry



Posted 13 Years Ago


So the old man found love? This is a cute story. Well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 5, 2011
Last Updated on January 6, 2011

Author

Joshua Cornil
Joshua Cornil

Delano, CA



About
hi everyone, well i use to write quite a bit but it's been a while so no judging ;D more..

Writing
Hazel Hazel

A Poem by Joshua Cornil


Lust Lust

A Poem by Joshua Cornil