Puppet

Puppet

A Chapter by Jacob Rodriguez

       I stood there for a moment looking at Elisa's car which was now exiting the parking lot.  Follow her!  I heard a honk from across the parking lot where Anthony had been parked.  My mind was running so quickly, I could hardly sort the thoughts, in order to make a decision on what I had to do.  I had to persuade Elisa into believing that nothing unusual was happening with me, and all at the same time I was hoping Anthony had not heard any of my conversation with her. 

       "Ryan, hey, what's going on?"  I heard Anthony's voice call after me.  I wasn't sure if he was going to try to come over and talk to me about everything, but I was hoping he would just leave me alone.  Another two honks erupted from across the parking lot, frustrating me even further.  I turned around to look at where he was standing half inside of his car.  I started toward him, Elisa had already left the parking lot so there was no use in trying to catch up to her. 

       "What's going on, what was that all about?"  Anthony asked curiously. 

       "Nothing, she's just acting really crazy."  I told him quickly, trying to look casual in my explanation. 

       "What was she saying she was going to find out?"  He said looking at me suspiciously. 

       "I don't know, she seems to think that I have some control over other people's health."  His expression was rather intense, almost as though he was trying to translate a foreign language. 

       "Well that doesn't make sense."  He said looking now at the pavement. 

       "Hey, why'd you stick around here anyways?"  I asked him in a poor attempt at changing the subject. 

       "I was just sitting in my car thinking about some things, I sorta lost track of time."  I dismissed the explanation as a lie almost immediately. 

       "Look, I didn't mean to be a d****e-bag about what you said earlier.  I guess it was just a little funny to me."  I told him. 

       "Was that suppose to be an apology?  You think what I say to you is comical?  You know, a simple 'I'm sorry about being a dick to you earlier' would have sufficed."  He said almost barking at me.  

I guess I hadn't thought about how, what I had said to him, would sound.  I had always been terrible at making apologies, even when I knew they were necessary, I suppose I just had a little too much pride. 

       "I didn't mean---"  He cut me off before I could finish. 

       "Never mind, it doesn't really matter.  I guess I should have expected that from you."  He told me, followed with a sort of brush-you-off laugh. 

       "You know, I don't even know why I am still here.  I guess I was trying to wait to talk to you, but now I don't even know.  So far, it seems like people around you have to be completely immune to your stone-cold, inconsiderate attitude, or they end up hurt."  He said sounding more spiteful than anyone I had ever heard. 

       "That's not fair!"  I said quickly.  What was I doing?  I was pushing someone, who seemed to actually care about me, away. 

       "It's true, isn't it?"  He said all-too-certain of himself.  His look was discerning, it seemed like he was seeing straight into my soul.  I wanted to look away but I felt drawn to his eyes, which seemed darker tonight than usual, and I had no idea what to say. 

       "No!  I mean I don't know.  I'm sorry, okay.  I admit ---"  Before I could finish his hand was pressed against my chest.  He forced me up against his car.  I looked at him curiously, what was he playing at?  The lights from the parking lot shone across his face and it made his eyes sparkle almost.

       He stepped closer and his face was just in front of mine.  "I don't even like you sometimes."  His lips pressed against mine, softly, he kissed me.  I was lost in thought, but only for a moment.  Everything seemed to be happening so quickly.  His hands brushed against my side and he tugged my shirt to un-tuck it from my pants.  He placed his hand on my stomach and it was then I noticed I was losing control of everything. 

        Numbness worked its way from my head down, I felt like I was going to pass out.  I kissed him back, his lips were so soft against mine.  I had to force myself not to look into his mind.  I felt his energy collide with mine and it was pushing its way through.  I wanted so badly to see into his mind just to know what he thought.  I pushed against him, trying to signal him to stop.  His eyes were so gentle looking, I could hardly convince myself to stop.  He pulled away, his attention still locked on me. 

       "I'm sorry."  He said, with a child-like grin on his face.

       "I--- I can't."  I said as I shrugged his hands, which were now on my shoulders, off of me. 

       "What do you mean you can't?  You definitely just were."  He said sounding shocked and almost upset.  I had to look away from him.  I felt guilty for ruining his self-satisfying moment. 

       "Clearly you enjoyed yourself."  He said, trying to justify what had just transpired. 

       "I just don't want to---"  I stopped myself before I could finish. 

       "What, Ryan?  You don't want to actually like someone?"  He asked me judgmentally.  I looked at him, his face was more serious now.  I could feel a burning deep inside of myself.  I wanted so badly to have the taste of his lips on mine, again--- and again!    

        "Goodnight Anthony."  I said and turned to walk away.  Anthony's arm slammed down on the car beside me, keeping me from going anywhere. 

       "Just one thing.  Look me in the eye and tell me that you didn't enjoy every bit of that."  He demanded.  I looked at him for a moment, my mouth opened at an attempt to say something, but I couldn't do what he had asked.  Instead, I shoved his arm out of my way and again said "Goodnight Anthony"  as politely as I could.  I walked over to my car.  I heard his car door slam shut and his engine roar to a start.  I didn't know why I wasn't still standing there kissing, or even just touching him.  I guess I was trying not to hurt him as I had with everyone else.  I couldn't figure out if it was the monster that I had become, or if it was actually ME who lusted after and even potentially cared about Anthony.   

       Before I got to my car I pulled my phone out to check for missed calls.  There were no missed calls but I had a text message from Elisa:

 

       "By the way, Michelle isn't in the hospital anymore.  No one knows when she left or how.  She was never discharged.  -Elisa" 

 

       It made no sense for her to just be missing.  Did someone take her?  How could none of the staff at the hospital notice a comatose patient up and walking around.  The drive home was long, I guess because I wasn't actually paying any attention to getting home.  I just drove and thought, trying to make sense of the whole night. 

       Why would Elisa not have told me that sooner?  She was so stuck on accusing me of murder, I guess that explains it.  My thoughts ran wild, and it was hard for me to keep my attention on the road.  I drove through Leonna's neighborhood and by her house.  I wanted to see if she would still be up, I needed to talk to her.  I had to know if she had spoken to Elisa, after-all they were good friends.  Surely Leonna would have some answers for me, even if I had to force them out of her.  To my surprise, Leonna was still awake.  In fact, she was having another one of her famous parties.  I guess I really shouldn't have been so surprised, but my mind was occupied with other things. 

        I pulled up along the street in front of her house and parked.  I looked around to see if I could recognize any of the cars that belonged to her party-mates.  Black Dodge Magnum!  Elisa is here.  I thought.  I got out of my car and made my way to her front door, contemplating what I was about to do.  I knew it was probably a bad idea, but at this point I really didn't care.  I didn't knock, no the music was too loud she wouldn't have heard me anyways. 

       I made my way through her living room, pushing past her guests, and into the kitchen where I found her having a conversation with someone I didn't recognize. 

       "Lee, we need to talk!"  I said quickly, trying to get her attention.  She laughed when she noticed it was me talking to her, she was trashed.  Great!  I thought, knowing that she wouldn't be of much help to me.  Or would she?  I pulled her into her room where I could talk to her a little more privately. 

       "What's up Ry?"  Leonna asked, trying now to calm her outrageous laugh. 

       "Have you talked to Elisa?"  I asked her seriously. 

       "No, not really.  She's here though in case you had something you wanted to talk to her about."  She said now trying to be more serious with me.  I grabbed Leonna's arm. 

       "No, I don't think that will be necessary."  I told Leonna, as I started into her mind.  Her breathing was slow as was her energy.  I pushed past all her immediate thoughts and planted one of my own.  I thought about draining her completely and just following through with my plan on my own.  Her energy was just as intoxicated as she was, it made me feel dizzy. 

       "What were you saying, Lee?"  I asked as I released her arm. 

       "I need to go talk to Elisa."  She said quickly to me.  I followed her out of her room and back into her kitchen.  She searched quickly through the crowd until she spotted Elisa. 

       "Elisa!"  She yelled.  Elisa looked quickly over at her trying to figure out what could have been wrong.  Leonna signaled for her to come over.  Elisa quickly rushed through the crowd shoving people out of the way as if she had just been signaled to a dying patient.  Leonna reached into one of her kitchen drawers and grabbed the first knife she could get her hands on. 

       "What's going on Lee?"  Elisa asked her sounding worried.  It was then that I noticed Leonna's blank, ill-looking expression.

       "Mind your own business and leave Ryan alone."  Her voice came out without tone.  Leonna thrust the knife forward, right into Elisa's gut and then stabbed herself in her own.  I felt the grin slide across my face as their blood quickly covered the shirts they were wearing.  They both fell to the floor gasping for air. 

       "Oh my god!  Someone call 911!"  I heard someone from the crowd yell.  I couldn't help but to smile, all of these people, whether I knew them or not, were all perfect energy sources.  Puppets all mine to control and the thought itself was intoxicating.  EMS arrived on the scene shortly after and started questioning some of the people who were still left at the party.  I thought about leaving in order to dodge any of the questioning, but I guessed that would look suspicious.  My plan was never to have Leonna stab herself, I just wanted her to make a point to Elisa.  I guess it helped, no one was really able to figure out what happened. 

        One of the officers approached me trying to see if I had seen anything, but I told them the same thing everyone else had said.

        "No, I don't really know what happened officer.  It happened rather suddenly."  The officers didn't really seem to buy everyone's answers, but they couldn't prove otherwise.  The only people who could give any answers were unconscious and on their way to the hospital.  Besides, what would either of them say?  I waited for the police to leave then I drove quickly to the hospital.  I had to talk to Elisa to see if she had changed her mind about nosing around in my business, hopefully this would be enough convincing.  Not only that, but I needed to investigate the situation with Michelle. 

       It wasn't long before I arrived and the ambulances were no where in sight.  I rushed inside to the emergency waiting room and found a seat, it felt like I waited forever before anyone came over to talk to me.  After while, one of the nurses who recognized me came over and started to talk to me about what was going on. 

       "Hey, I really don't know much about what is going on.  All I know is they are having some trouble stabilizing Leonna."  Linda, whose name I read from her badge, told me. 

       "And Elisa?"  I asked quickly, trying to sound as concerned as I could. 

       "She's doing okay, they have her all stitched up in one of the rooms.  Seems the knife wound she sustained wasn't very deep."  Linda answered quickly.  "I'll take you back there if you want"  She went on. 

       "Please."  I said to her as I got up quickly from where I was sitting to follow her.  Elisa looked surprised to see me. 

       "I'll leave you two to talk."  Linda said and she left the room. 

       "Glad to see you're doing okay, cuz."  I told her with grinning again. 

       "Don't give me that bullshit.  Leonna could have sustained serious wounds, and may be in critical condition."  She said sounding snappy.  Who could blame her really?

       "Yeah, Linda was telling me that they can't get her stabilized."  I told her. 

       "What?  Oh my god, what have you done Ryan?"  She said, her eyes already starting to water. 

       "You mean what have you done?"  I told her quickly.  "You should have never starting trying to snoop around in my business.  Accusing me of murder."  I explained to her.  Her face was pale in disbelief. 

       "Is that what this is about?  Did you tell her to do this to me?"  Her voice was shaky and full of worry. 

       "No, of course I didn't.  What would make you think such a thing?"  I asked with a false innocence. 

       "Do you think I am not going to report you?"  She said desperately trying to come to her own defense. 

       "And what would you say?  That I told someone to stab you and them-self?  And they actually did it?  Please, who do you think would believe you?"  I asked her. 

       "What do you want from me Ryan?  I don't understand.  What's happening to you?"  She asked me again sounding upset.  Her acting was almost convincing to me.  Maybe instead of medicine, she should have considered a career in theater.

       "I am evolved, and you, you're pathetic!"  I said quickly.  "I want to know the truth about Michelle.  What happened, and don't tell me she just disappeared in a hospital full of doctors and nurses."  I demanded. 

       "I already told you, no one knows.  I asked around and everyone is either telling me they have no idea, or they are saying that she was moved to a different hospital.  But I've checked the logs, and there was no transfer issued.  She hasn't had visitors, really that's all I know.  Honestly, it's rather strange."  She told me now sounding sincere.  

"You know, if you think this whole thing is going to scare away from figuring everything out, you're sadly mistaken!"  She said in a ridiculously certain tone. 

       "Really?  You know, if you continue to poke your nose into my business, I can just make life hell for you.  If you think this is bad, it could always be worse.  To be quite honest, if I thought you were a real threat, I would just make you forget me all together."  I told her sounding overly complacent.  Her expression was baffled now, as if she was trying to decode what I was saying to her. 

        Linda returned to Elisa's room with a light knock at the door. 

        "Come in."  I told her, and she entered immediately. 

       "Hey Elisa, I just thought I would tell you; Leonna's liver and kidneys have failed.  She's been placed in a medicated coma until we can get her a transplant."  Linda told Elisa. 

       "How are we going to find a liver and a kidney for a person who stabbed themselves?"  Elisa quickly asked. 

        "Look, I don't know what they are planning to do.  They have called her family.  I just wanted to let you know."  Linda said and exited the room. 

       "See, living hell!"  I said to Elisa.

       "This isn't fair to her Ryan.  What did she even do to deserve this?"  Elisa asked her voice cracked at every word.  

       "I hadn't intended on her being injured to this extreme, but I guess in order for one to prosper, others must suffer."  I said coldly.  

       "Goodnight Elisa.  Oh, and you may want to rethink what you said earlier.  I don't think you want to get involved anymore than you already are."  I said, and left her room.  I hadn't even made it halfway down the hall, and suddenly I had this feeling like I was being watched or followed.  I stopped quickly and turned around, nothing, just and empty hall behind me.  I guess I just needed to get home and climb into bed.  It had been a long day for me and I needed my rest if I was going to be ready for another interesting day.   



© 2015 Jacob Rodriguez


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. This is the most original piece I've ever read. (I read this chapter first, and I think I came in late in the book). The idea of controlling someone with paranormal mental energies--getting inside their minds, manipulating them, clouding their vision, confusing them, playing God in all respects. I like the protagonist of this story a lot, in that heroes that are always good can get a little dull after a bit, and a little unbelievable). This guy, Ryan--he's no angel, but perhaps he is a cold-hearted b*****d :) Even so, I wouldn't swear to that--as they say, never judge a man till you walk a few miles in his shoes. Still, I gotta admit, we all wish for powers like Ryan's. I think this piece is really great

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow. This is the most original piece I've ever read. (I read this chapter first, and I think I came in late in the book). The idea of controlling someone with paranormal mental energies--getting inside their minds, manipulating them, clouding their vision, confusing them, playing God in all respects. I like the protagonist of this story a lot, in that heroes that are always good can get a little dull after a bit, and a little unbelievable). This guy, Ryan--he's no angel, but perhaps he is a cold-hearted b*****d :) Even so, I wouldn't swear to that--as they say, never judge a man till you walk a few miles in his shoes. Still, I gotta admit, we all wish for powers like Ryan's. I think this piece is really great

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

563 Views
1 Review
Added on November 3, 2011
Last Updated on January 5, 2015
Previous Versions


Author

Jacob Rodriguez
Jacob Rodriguez

Hinesville, GA



About
I am a young, aspiring writer, looking to one day fullfill my dreams and become published. I love to read and write (obviously), swim, bowl, and socialize. I hope to give inspiration to the world, a.. more..

Writing