Experiences

Experiences

A Story by J Schwenk
"

Life´s experiences teach us things.

"

Someone told me I should write stories, for a change. I normally don´t write stories, but here goes.

 

I have learned a lot from this past semester attending University in London. The first half went by slow, then the second half flew by. I have learned to stop caring so much, there will always be people who don´t like you. Namely my Psychology professor, who is also my advisor. She could give less than a f**k if I succeed or not. She thinks I do not have an interest in Psychology. But you see, I do. I love the field, I´m interested in why people do certain things, behave the way they do and what caused them to act that way. I believe by studying Psychology, I can learn more about myself and change myself for the better. Change myself to become a better soul. To love my life and not take anything for granted. Things sort of changed when I met someone end of March before flying to Dublin for the weekend. By meeting that person, I have learned to stop giving a s**t about anything and just take things as they come. This person, by the name of J, has taught me that life will give you things if you really wish for it. Especially just to be yourself. Share your talent with the world. Do not stop doing what your love because it will tug at your heartstrings. I learned from experience. I once stopped doing what I love, writing and dancing, and slowly, each day, my heart was hurting. I felt like there was something missing from me. I no longer used to be the carefree happy person I once was. People told me I was so happy they felt attracted to me. Now, all I seem to do is worry about how life doesn´t go according to plan. I wanted to do summer school in Rome and was accepted to volunteer Psychologists in a psychiatric ward in Sri Lanka for six weeks. But those things didn´t work out. Maybe it wasn´t the right timing and the universe had another path laid out for me.

 

I have learned to tell people what´s on your mind, to be honest with them. Tell them everything how you feel. They might not like it, but it will work out in the end. Try hard in everything you do. Let your creativity and beautiful soul shine through. I strongly believe that people come into our lives for a reason, to teach us something. For me, I believe it was to become a better person and love people differently for who they are. J told me that each person plays a different role in life. They put on a mask, rehearse in a different voice and act out their role. This semester, I listened to music everyday, especially Nicolas Jaar. Nicolas Jaar, my love. The artist never ceases to amaze me. J has taught me how to simply be myself. I remember the last day, he said "No matter what happens, happens." Life gives you a path that fits best for you. I felt like the second half of the semester has been one big motherfucking dream. It just flew by. The words still echoed in my head, ´Beautiful soul, beautiful you, beautiful life.´ Everything is beautiful, we just have to take the time to appreciate this life we are given. I still have the tiny red rose, it´s dried up and is a shade of deep, blood red.

 

I flew to Germany at 7 am on Friday morning. It felt like a dream, like I wasn´t really sitting in the airplane, about to depart for 3 months in Germany working or doing whatever else. I felt like a part of me was in London, having a good experience. I felt like my heart was hurting. It still doesn´t occur to me that I will leave London and start new again, in the States. I sat down with my dad and we talked about experiences, that you immediately click with a person and their aura changes. How when you travel to a different country, that it seems like a dream. It seems like a dream because the soul hasn´t arrived yet in the body. It´s still where you left it, where ever you were before you came to another country. I felt like I wasn´t really here because part of me was in London. My soul hasn´t arrived yet. When I woke up around 2 in the afternoon, my dad asked me how I felt. I told him, "My soul hasn´t arrived yet." I slept until 2 pm because I had a long week of exams, it was so hectic. I got maximum 4 hours of sleep each night. But, whatever happens happens. The past already happened and it can´t be changed. The best things we can do is let it go and learn from it. Not to dwell on it, hoping we won´t make the same mistakes. The truth is, we will make the same mistakes over and over again, until we learn how to become a better person. By day 2, I felt like it was reality again. I felt whole. Everyone has an aura, their magnetic field. Some people have it bigger than others. That´s what happened to me. When you meet someone and you want to know more about the person, that they have a lot to offer you, whether it would be good or bad things. I realised we have to leave the people we met in order for things to become better again, to have a better experience with a person. We have to part in order for things to come together again. The way I see it, it´s like a puzzle. The pieces don´t fit and it has to be moved around to fit together.

 

I am working on becoming a better person. I have decided to write in my journal more, write down 5 things I´m grateful for, everyday for a year. To read more spiritual and self help books so I can improve myself, go running, meditate and do yoga. Practice on being more humble and patient, be more kind to others, being more mindful and eat pure. Become pure to the soul.                   I thank you, J, for meeting you and teaching me your ways. Thank you for being you. I hope our paths will cross again.

 

Here´s a quote that´s been on my mind lately. "This is the time. This is the place. This is the vastness. Right here is paradise. Always. Always." - Byron Katie           

© 2014 J Schwenk


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I get an invitation to read and I'm always under the impression that the person who sent me the invite has a motive or motif pending on which part of the willingness spectrum you are coming from. But whichever the reason for the invite to me is always a proposition to find "something" in the writing. Namely a story. With characters? Sure is a journal isn't ? (This is my soliloqui just in case...) No he says he wants to become a better person that is the story isn't it? Oh, is it? . This could go on for a while I will continue, there seems to be a decription of factual character, as for the association between Psychology and better person that is obviously a long reach since there is no empirical manifestation around saying that this could be taken for granted. Especially when the private sector will give you all forms of remmuneration that will quickly replace the better person for better suited.
No no! Rene don't be such a cynic he is stating that this is a story of his journal were he wants to become a better person? Ok, but then the descritptive nature of the writing all points out to an enormous contradiction doesn't it? Why you say that? Because if the story is about becoming a better person then how is it that ll the expriences are guided towards himself? Isn't it obvious that the simplest most apparent form of goodness comes by forgetting more of oneself to accept more of the others? and hence the association with Psycology to pursue a better understanding of human qualities in the hope to help them? I wouldn't know that's not what the story is about.

Oh.

Thankyou for the ivnite.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I really don't like inspirational stuff and all that but I have to say that this might be the best thing that I've read in a while. I really liked what you said about being honest with people and not trying to hide behind falsehoods. I only hope that one day I'll also meet my "J". This was really good! I liked it!

Posted 9 Years Ago


I think Psychology is a wonderful pursuit, but as with most academic pursuits it’s open ended, and research is on-going. Psychology is a scientific empirical method by which we resolve the mysteries of the human brain. Psychology doesn’t necessarily have all the answers in itself, but it may have the research means through which such answers may be discovered over time. Ask yourself why you think so little of yourself that you need improvement? Why do you think that others are better than you whereby they have something to teach you? Those others might be interacting with you for the same reason. Must we have the blind leading the blind? Ask yourself why it’s necessary for you , or others to cuss? Cussing isn’t so bad since Shakespeare did it all the time in his plays, but those cuss words have become commonplace today. The main drift of Psychology today is finding out how to create artificial intelligence through the use of massive assemblies of artificial neurons.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is really great because it is inspirational and thought provoking.we ought to reach inside ourselves and see what we can change to be better.i minored in psychology so I totally understand u about learning about people and all that comes with it.thanks for sharing!


Posted 9 Years Ago


Yes all we can do is be ourselves and to try our best at whatever it is. It is good that you are trying to be a better person, I think we all can work toward being better people maybe in different areas in our lives. I didn't really care for the cussing in this, but that's just me xD lol It is nice that you met someone to help you see all of this, it would be nice to meet up with that person again and say thanks in person.

Posted 9 Years Ago


J Schwenk

9 Years Ago

I think anyone can become a better person, that's true anyone can become better at various points in.. read more
~*~Peace Keeper~*~

9 Years Ago

Yeah I agree, we learn as we grow throughout life, and some come into our lives for some sort of rea.. read more
Thank you. So it is more like a journal in this case. Reviews are always a good way for the writer to improve, in my opinion. I am interested in both reviewing others as well as getting reviewed. I agree, writers write for themselves, to express their feelings and get them out on paper, or in this case, the Internet. Thanks again for reviewing this!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Its wonderful as a Diary, infact you could have made a small book out of it. Narration would require a lil sequencing in that case. I have always enjoyed reading diaries. It gives the vouyeristic pleasure and I ain't no saint. I enjoyed it. You should really write to this site more regular to grow up as a writer. Let me also tell you, this is a place where you could be worst humilated as a writer. Lack of reviews will always hurt you like everyone. The only Users of this site are writers who are quite more often interested in getting reviewed, rather looking into other's work. Never be discouraged. A real writer does not write for an audience, he writes for a selfless feeling to giving everything!!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 5, 2014
Last Updated on May 5, 2014

Author

J Schwenk
J Schwenk

London, United Kingdom



About
I'm a Psychology student living in London, United Kingdom. Lover of the arts, poetry, cooking, and travelling around the beautiful, insane, sweet world in search of finding myself. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..