Flowers

Flowers

A Chapter by jstricko

She drank small sips of the water she’d been given and shook a little. She wasn’t sure if she was terrified, hungry, or tired the most. Stella Moore took the glass from Matilda noticing how she was shaking. Stella gave a concerned look to Steve and hurried to the back of the building.

 

Matilda signed her name in the guest register. “I wonder if this will be the last time I can sign my name as Matilda Wright”, she thought to herself. Steve handed the key to room 4 to Matilda and motioned for the “would-be” porter-boy to take her bags up to her room for her. “That there is my boy, Sam.”; Said Steve with a little smile of pride.

 

Stella came back carrying a tray full of food. Matilda hadn’t even realized how hungry she was. Stella placed the tray at a nearby table and informed Matilda she was to eat everything. Matilda’s eyes bulged as she surveyed the large quantity of food placed at the table. Stella could tell Matilda wasn’t accustomed to so much food being available at a meal. “Now sit yourself down and I’ll sit here with you and tell you all about us while you’re eating”; said Stella.

 

Matilda ate until she could eat no more. She had done fairly well. She only left two pork chops and some mashed potatoes. Stella could tell Matilda was more comfortable now. In fact, Matilda was looking quite sleepy.

Stella asked Steve to pull the bath into room 4 and indicated to Matilda that the hot water would be up directly. Matilda was grateful for all the kindnesses that Stella had done for her. Matilda climbed the stairs to room 4 as though she had lead weights attached to her ankles.

 

Once inside her room she saw a beautiful bouquet of flowers on the dressing table. “How thoughtful of Stella”, she thought. The room was not large but for her it was perfect. Stella, Steve and Sam all arrived carrying buckets of steaming water. The two Moore gentlemen left Stella to help Matilda bathe.

 

Matilda slept very soundly that first night. She awoke at 6 AM the next morning. She always liked to get up early so

 She could get as much as possible done while the sun was shining. She made her bed, dressed and journeyed downstairs. The sun was peeking up over the mountains in the East and sending warm rays shafting through the windows.

 

"Good morning Miss Matilda", said Stella cheerfully as she handed a cup of coffee to her. "I trust you slept well?" Stella asked. "Oh, yes indeed", replied Matilda. "Stella I forgot to thank you for the beautiful bouquet in my room", Matilda said. Stella smiled sweetly and said, "Dear, those were from Mr. Robinson". Matilda felt strange. Was he courting her? They had a business arrangement. "Oh…my", is all she could say. She ate her breakfast and returned to her room to check her belongings and see if anything had broken in transit.

 

Matilda gathered her skirts in a puddle around her as she sat on the floor. She hesitated opening her cedar chest. She knew it would be full of the things she had collected, been given or made for her married life, with Ted. She turned the key in the lock and slowly lifted the lid; as though something might jump out at her. On the top of everything else lay here wedding dress. She touched the pearl buttons and lace details reverently. She held it up to herself and looked in the mirror. A melancholy smile gently touches her lips. With a heavy sigh she placed it on a hanger and returned to the cedar chest.



© 2012 jstricko


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on July 9, 2012
Last Updated on July 28, 2012


Author

jstricko
jstricko

Writing
From From

A Chapter by jstricko


Arrival Arrival

A Chapter by jstricko


Dinner Dinner

A Chapter by jstricko