Noise in the night

Noise in the night

A Story by James
"

Waking up in the middle of the night with no reason. Then after a while strange things started to happen throughout the night. Is this happening or not was his main question.

"

It seemed like every other ordinary night, until I woke up to strange noises happening. Didn’t think too much of it and fell back to sleep shortly after. Then again there was a noise only now it seemed like it was under the floor now. laying in my bed, then wondering should I just go back to sleep and forget about this. It is late at night and why would someone be in my house for? The noises kept happening until that, it wasn’t noises at all more like talking. After thinking of that now, it gotten me really scared.

What if someone is in this house, okay telling myself. I mean it is late at the night for you know it could be just the house. That calmed me down a lot, that is right and why would anyone be in here. Getting out of bed without any fear now let me light a candle and I will start to go downstairs. When the candle finally lighted up after a few tries. Now before we do this let’s try to figure out what kind of voices or what the noises actually are. Putting the candle on the floor and getting on my knees. I put my ear against the floor to make out the voices.

It just sounded like whispering, thinking to myself “how could all of this whispering be, so loud to the put that I can hear it in bed. Getting up no matter, I will run all these people out of my house. They will be scared knowing that someone lives here and isn’t afraid of them. As I was getting off the floor then picking up the candle as well. I bushed off my clothes to go downstairs, now do I got everything. Yes okay, I open the door it was rather chilly outside my room.

Maybe I should have gotten a jacket before leaving. Let’s not worry about that right now telling myself it will be over with soon enough. I started to take my first steps down the staircase. Now fear was starting to take over my body, some reason this feels like a bad idea. Well I already started to go down the steps, no turning back now. I suppose, taking a deep breath and taking a few more steps. Why am I doing this for, I was safe in that room. After saying that, I was already at the last step.

I stopped to see which direction was coming from it sounded like from the kitchen. I kept telling myself that everything will be alright and I’m probably just going crazy. Slowly walking to the kitchen door to not make a sound. The whispering was starting to get louder, okay I am not crazy. Someone is behind this door taking a deep breath to hold my fear inside. I took my hand to grab the doorknob and slowly opened the door. Sweat was starting to pour down from my face then I took one eye to look inside.

I started to look around the kitchen, but as I open the door more. There wasn’t nothing in there the whispering had stopped and there nothing in there. The candle went out and there was nothing, but pitch blackness. Except for the light shining through the window. Which he heard a noise that sent a chill through his body. Then in the corner of his eye there was something moving. When He tried to catch a glimpse of whatever it was, but all he could see was what looked like a shadow. Moving into the pantry in the kitchen, after it was gone.

The candle lighted itself back on after there wasn’t anything else in the room, but him. He started to tell himself “I should just go back to bed and forget all about this.” At the same time, I am not going to get any kind of sleep unless I find out. What exactly went inside that room? As he starting to head to the door he started to say, “why am I doing this for it probably is nothing and I am just dreaming.” Yeah that must be it nothing more than seeing things the darkness does play tricks on your mind. Getting close to the entrance of the pantry, he put the candle inside the room to shine some kind of light in there.

The pantry was dimly lit now, but there was nothing in there no shadow thing or anything really. Just bread, jars of food, and boxes to the right of the wall. Okay none of this makes any sense, but I am not going to question it anymore nothing there and that’s it. He closed the door as he left the room, let’s just go back to the bedroom. Then I’ll try to figure this out tomorrow, he turned himself around to exit the kitchen. Exiting outside the room, he felt like something was watching him from the darkness in the corners of the rooms.

It started to make his whole body shiver out of fear and anxiety. Putting the candle all around the main entrance of the house. Nothing still, then moving up the staircase without falling over. Getting halfway up the staircase there was a gust of air that moved through his whole body making the candle go out. Not again, then he looked down the steps there was a shadow figure slowly coming up the floor. Trying to find out, what exactly it was. The figure finally took full form it looked like a man or woman unsure what to make out of it. It moved it’s head up slowly to look at him, as they locked eyes together.

All he could see was two large eyes, but these were no eyes. Brightly white nothing in the inside, then there it was again. The whispering only now, he could hear what it has been saying. Have you seen the body that I seem to have left in this house? Then bravely he said, no I haven’t seen any body here in this house. The shadow moved its head to the left and slowly to the right. I suppose, I’ll have to make a new one and to start it. I’m going to use yours then, the eyes went straight back onto him only now. They were full of hatred and desire to kill whatever was there.

He ran up the steps as quickly as he good, hearing footsteps. Oh gosh, I got to get into the bedroom and now. As he was getting close to the door, there was a feeling of something was close from behind. Sweating out of fear, he grabbed the doorknob and pushed it open then shutting the door. Holding the door with two hands trying to catch his breath. Was that even real, I am feeling like none of this is real nothing but a dream.

Before I let go of this I wonder, if it had left yet. Placing one ear on the door to see, if nothing was there. The whispering to fade from the door, telling himself now. I think, it had finally left now there is no more talking or noises anymore. Now I can go back to sleep and forget all about this now. As he turned around to go to bed, now he was looking at something that was in his bed. It’s all in my head he kept repeating to himself as he was getting close to the bed.

Nothing there yes nothing there, pulling the covers to see what is there. Feeling frozen now, what was in the covers was his body. How is that possible, I’m right here and then I am there in bed. The whispering of words started back up again, only now it was coming from below him now. This is just like the beginning of when that I woke up before. None of this makes any sense what is happening.

Then the whispering started to happen again only it was behind him now. He turned around to say, what do you want there is nothing here for you. The shadow said I only want the body that is missing in this house and you well finally found it for me. I been going room to room of this house and following you helped me out greatly. What are you talking about I am standing right here and talking to you? How is that my body it looks like me, but it’s not me there is no way. Your right about that, that is why I am not just looking for the body, but to finish it. He started to scream, as he felt his feet being dragged under the floor.

Before his head could go under the floor below him. He found himself, waking up sweating and screaming at the top of his lungs. After he sit up, he was looking around his room he noticed the light coming from his bedroom window. What just happened he said, it felt so real and familiar. Just another dream as he was telling himself. Not too sure, I haven’t had one like this in a long time. It’s a new day and I should try to forget about that dream. Even though getting out of bed, It still puzzled him like did it mean anything or not.

© 2019 James


Author's Note

James
Grammar and writing is probably not the best. I don't usually write and hopefully it is enjoyable to read though.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is kinda scary because a lot of people experienced this kind of event but you wrote so well that I can feel the emotions here. Good job :)

Posted 4 Years Ago


Talk about spooky. You created a very eerie atmosphere. In my opinion it sounded a lot like a dream, but I guess that's the main discussion point of the narrative; which is good, you're engaging with the reader. The best part of the story was the creative energy you put into it. What I mean is you created a very creepy setting almost as If I was there. All in all, I thought it was entertaining!

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 18, 2019
Last Updated on July 18, 2019
Tags: Short story, horror

Author

James
James

VA



About
I just like to write in my free time. more..

Writing
Fishpire Fishpire

A Story by James