Early Morn

Early Morn

A Chapter by Julia Welker

Nichole sealed the last farewell letter and set it gently upright on the desk. Her gaze lingered on the many letters crowded together. Would they forgive her? She felt they would someday.

She started putting the supplies back inside the desk when the floor creaked. She glanced around the dim sitting room. Nobody was around, not even the servants. Everyone would be upstairs asleep dreaming away while she had been up since they all had drifted off to sleep. The sound must have been her wishful thinking.  It would be quite some time before the Thimble household realized she was gone.

Picking up her pack, Nichole stood and blew out the lamp. In the dark of the room, she shivered. No fire had been lit in this room, and the nights were cold. To warm herself, she walked quickly out to the hall and passed the many rooms of the mansion giving no second glance. Pausing at the threshold, however, Nichole could not resist one last glimpse around the Thimble's household. In the dark, not much could be seen, but much was remembered. Those memories and God would help carry her through what she needed to do now. A while later, she walked out the back door.

Following the servants’ well worn path, she quickly found her way to the stables for the dragons. Having no lamp, she stepped in carefully and felt her way to Craion's stall. Sensing her, the dragon came forward and stretched his neck out to nuzzle her hair. Nichole ran her hand along his neck.

He had been her birthday gift from the Thimble’s. Actually, it was around that time when everything began to go wrong, and in God’s eyes, it was probably when she began to do everything right. God had a special way of drawing her close. Sometimes, God had to use extreme measures to get His children's attention, and for her, He chose her eighteenth birthday to draw her by Him.

Craion snorted impatiently. “I know. We’re going,” she said quietly. Nichole walked into Craion’s stall and began to saddle him to ride.

Sometime later, they shot up into the night sky. Thunder rumbled in the distance. A storm was coming in. Wind battered at her leather jacket as she leaned into Craion to pick up speed. Riding always calmed her and was when she felt closest to God. She sent up a quick prayer for safety. Her problems and difficulties seemed to be coming in droves in the last few months. But she had a peace about it, because God let them be, that is come into her life. Soon all her life storms and problems would be resolved, Lord willing, as well as everyone else’s. Unfortunately, it would mean her death.




© 2013 Julia Welker


Author's Note

Julia Welker
My current trouble is rhythm and flow. I updated it! I am going to put up the second chapter tonight or tomorrow.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lonely and sad yet the ending leaves me happily content.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Hey Julia I am new to this so please bare with me. I like the clear imagery of your writing. I am in no way a professional writer so take this with the honesty in which it is given. I think writing always has a rhythm. I found myself trying to capture that in this writing. That is just me but I enjoyed it I will be back to catch the next chapter!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Julia Welker

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the review! You helped me catch what was wrong with it. It was killing me. :) I put up a .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 30, 2013
Last Updated on January 31, 2013


Author

Julia Welker
Julia Welker

IA



About
About me, 0_0 I like writing late into the night. However, I like to get up early. I suffer from a desire to sleep in the afternoons which is solved by coffee which keeps me awake to write into the.. more..

Writing
Zah Zah

A Book by Julia Welker