things change

things change

A Chapter by yashmita13

THINGS CHANGE

Be grateful for each new day. A new day that you have never lived before. Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably. We can waste, ignore, or use it. Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today. Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities no doubt came in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it patiently. 

Being different means: - Not being afraid to challenge the normal. - Being willing to take a chance.- Asking why.- Making your own track, not just following the well trodden path.- Charting your own course and destiny.- Being the person that you were meant to be.

I believe that everyone is born unique. But through the years we work very hard to be like everyone else. We conform to society’s so-called “common-sense.” Unfortunately it is just that " “common sense.” That does not mean its “good sense.”

 

 

It all starts out amazing. You're in your room, staring at your new clothes, your new haircut, you're new you. You think, ‘Yeah. This is it.’ You can't help but feel amazing about this new different style you’ve come up with. You’re going to be different, refreshed. And you’re going to love it. In fact, you do love it…

But the second you step out of your room, that cocoon of safety you’ve created for yourself, it all falls apart. Insecurity settles deep in your gut as you put the new you together for school or work. What will people think? You question yourself, how will they react? Your actions slow down, seemingly, you're no longer excited for people to see the new, different you. And as you continue thinking about what will happen in the course of the day, as more and more people see you, you freeze. Looking into your own eyes in the mirror, you become scared. Scared of the words that will be tossed across tables during lunch, scared of the looks they’ll give you. Why are you so scared of what other people think? People whose opinions should mean so little to you, yet make such a huge impact on the decisions you make in your life. Why are you afraid of meaningless words?

Because society likes to set a stereotype that they refuse to let change. Or is it the fact that everything you do, it seems to be wrong? From your family’s outlook on you, to the people that surround you, an impression is set. It seems as if your opinions no longer matters. What your parents dislike, you feel ashamed to wear. What your friends and fellow peers dislike, you fear wearing because you may lose them. Is there no safety in being you? On a daily basis we struggle to be ourselves!


Have you ever regretted changing your clothes in the morning, from the outfit you were so happy about buying, into the raggedy old clothes you’ve owned for a few years, just to avoid the looks people would give you for changing? Have you ever felt the need to be somebody else to feel like you belong? Have you ever been the person to hide in the corners of a class, to avoid stares and laughter that may or may not be appointed to you? Have you ever been scared to be different? I have. I’ve been terrified to walk out of my house, to face the people that I see on a daily basis. Scared to do my hair differently, because when I first changed it people laughed at me and told me I looked stupid. For some reason, words just stick in our heads; words that hurt us never leave.

People always tell us, “It’s okay to be who you are,” or, “Never change for anybody. No matter what,” ever notice how the very people who say that to us, are the very people who end up causing our insecurities? The people who tell us that we should be who we are, are the same people who sneer at us when we wear something they don't like, the same people who laugh behind our backs when we do something they didn't want us to do, the exact same people who tell us who we are is wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong!

Why can't we be right, just once? Who cares if we’re different? Who cares if our hair is short when it should be long, who cares if instead of wearing those pants that resemble a parachute, we were the pants that are skin tight on our legs? Who cares that we enjoy music that blares in our ears, rather than the soft flows of the music other people enjoy? Who cares! We should be allowed to be who we are! Whenever and wherever! When we leave our rooms, we shouldn’t be subjected to the looks that people, family and friends, and anybody gives us! When we step outside that safety zone we’ve created for ourselves, we should realize that we don't, in fact, need it! We should be allowed to be happy as we are. Why can't we say to ourselves, “I am who I am?” And feel proud about that fact?

I stand here proudly, as a graceful dancer who did not have an ideal life. I was different, I had different dreams…and most importantly I was told that I would never end up being anything I imagined. I remember sitting in a corner thinking that when I grow up and hopefully become someone people would look up to, someone who will inspire others, I will look at my childhood and I’ll laugh at my childhood and say THINGS CHANGE…

 

 



© 2013 yashmita13


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

WOW!!! Very, very true... this is awesome, just stunning... No one, NO one should be able to judge us how we look or our likes and dislikes we should like you said, be able not to need that safe zone.
Really great start. You are a extremely gifted writer.
Keep on writing!

C. Lee Battaglia

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

yashmita13

9 Years Ago

thank you so much
hope you enjoyed reading



Reviews

I'm sorry, but only enter one. You must pick one to enter, or I will have to disqualify you, and you will try again another time. Enjoy entering one story in every contest I make for you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

yashmita13

9 Years Ago

i apologise but i do not know what you are talking about.
This is amazing! It's completely true and something a lot of people need to hear, I think you did a great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

yashmita13

9 Years Ago

thanks a lot
your appreciation means so much to me
WOW!!! Very, very true... this is awesome, just stunning... No one, NO one should be able to judge us how we look or our likes and dislikes we should like you said, be able not to need that safe zone.
Really great start. You are a extremely gifted writer.
Keep on writing!

C. Lee Battaglia

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

yashmita13

9 Years Ago

thank you so much
hope you enjoyed reading

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

527 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 4, 2013
Last Updated on November 17, 2013


Author

yashmita13
yashmita13

About
A system takes care of the detail work for you, freeing up your time and your mind so you can focus on activities that Generate Income. The last thing you need to worry about is all the detail work of.. more..

Writing