The Pain of Love Chapter 4 - Her Subsequent Happiness

The Pain of Love Chapter 4 - Her Subsequent Happiness

A Story by Ice QueenJen
"

A chapter in my story about abuse and the impending events that are to take place.

"



                                     Her Subsequent Happiness


         After Donna left, Janice went and got a big glass of tea. She then out on the front porch to sit and watch the clear sky. She was happy again, and felt a sense of renewal. Janice was finally on the road to true happiness, and it was only the second day of Remy being gone.


         Janice sighed, then exclaimed to herself “ This is how life should be �" quiet and peaceful!”


                She sat on her chair until dusk, then went inside. It seemed to quiet, so she flicked the television on. Being free to watch whatever she wanted, she decided to pick up the guide. Thumbing through to find the right day she looked to see what was on. Not used to being able to see any program, she didn't know exactly what to see, so she clicked the box off.


            Just enjoying the peace and quiet was enough for her, she sat on the couch and smiled. Today was a new beginning for her, yet still uncertain of what was to happen. Right now she didn't care about what would happen next week, only the week she wouldn't be walking on eggshells. So she just sat smiling, and thought about doing some rearranging of the rooms. Finally do some things the way she wanted, not her so-called loving husbands.


         *********************


                      The guys wandered around the shops before crossing the American/Canadian border. Then Roy saw George sitting at a table with a map in front of him. He sauntered over and asked “ you think we can do this? I mean it is a little risky, what if it doesn't turn out like we want it to?”


         “Don't worry Roy, I have everything planned out. Down to the last iota, all you need to do is make sure the cabin's not occupied” George almost whispered to him.


        Randy walked up and saw the map, then asked “ just how far are we going up?”


            Roy pointed about half-way to the top of Canada.


              “Wow, that's pretty far! Randy exclaimed, then asked "And how long will it take to get there George?”


        “Not to long, suppose about another day, maybe two” George replied.


                 Just then Remy walked up, and said “ What are you gals gabbing about?”


                Randy stammered back “ we....we.. we are not gals Remington!”




       George chimed in “ calm down Randy, he was just teasing. I'm sure he meant nothing by it. In fact, we do resemble a bunch of hens cowering over this map. Let's say we get this show on the road. That is after we have filled our bellies with some grub. We could wait till after we cross the border, but we're already here, and I prefer good American food over any Canadian meals!”


           Remy slapped George on the back, then laughingly said   “ Me too, although I have never had anything but American.”


          Roy laughed back saying “ You're so goofy Remy, how can you hate something you've never tasted.”


                 Randy shook his head in disgust, thinking to himself      ' he is f*****g unbelievable, such an idiot. Never has been right, but he sure seems to think he is.'


              George could sense Randy's anger rising, so he said        “ Let's hurry over to that diner, and eat- some steak and potatoes sound like a good hearty meal for us hunters!”


          The other two men shook their heads in agreement, and followed George to the diner, aptly named “ The Last Frontier”


                After going in, a waitress seated them, then handed each a menu and walked away. They began to look over the menu's, even though all knew what they wanted to order.


          Shortly the waitress came back and set four glasses of ice water down. Standing poised with her pen and pad, she inquired “ you gentlemen ready to order, or shall I give you some more time?”


           George gathered the menu's from the others and replied “ no ma'am, we are ready. We four would like the biggest steaks you've got here, a side of mashed potatoes and whatever vegetable of the day!”


Alrightie sir, four hearty mans lunch specials coming up” she replied while writing down the orders.


                      The waitress turned and walked away, then went and told the cook what their order was. As the four men sat chatting about what they would be doing, the waitress walked up and asked “ cook wants to know how you want your steaks?”


          Remy piped up saying boldly “ Bloody rare for me, Janice never cooked mine like that.”


          The other three replied “ medium rare” in unison, and started laughing.


                 As the waitress walked away, she shook her head. Another ungrateful man, it displeased her with how his wife was being treated. She'd seen all kinds, but this one she was sure he had a mean streak running right down the middle of his back. She hurriedly went and told the cook how they wanted there steaks. Then went to help what few other customers the diner had.


              Soon the steaks were cooked, and the waitress delivered the four meals. She then asked rudely “ anything else I can get you gentlemen?”


               George picked up on her dislike for Remy, and as he looked up at her he smiled, then said “ yes please, would you be so kind in bringing four ice tea's. Then I think we will be good.”


            Remy was oblivious to her attitude, and was already busy devouring his steak and eating like a ravenous animal. Randy looked over at Roy as he snickered by the sight of Remy hovered over his plate. George cleared his throat, causing Remy to look up at him.


          He then asked “ Remy is it necessary to eat like an animal? Shall we put your dish on the floor for you to eat from?”


          Roy couldn't contain himself, he burst out in a horrendous laughter. Which caused Randy, then George to laugh also.


         Remy still oblivious to what or how he was eating, said with his mouth full “what, what?”


                  George replied quietly “ nothing Remy, eat like an animal...... as if it's your last meal. I don't have to see you eat everyday!”


                     Remy stopped, put his fork and knife down looked at George, then said “ Oh I was doing it again. I get this way when I am so hungry, I am afraid that it is my last meal! My mother used to give me a plate of food, then halfway through dinner she would snatch it away. So when I eat I tend to revert to my old habits. It's like a survival tactic I created in my mind George.”


            Roy spoke up “ look around Remy..... see your mother anywhere?”


                 Remy answered “ no Roy, you know she's been dead for two years now!”


        Roy said slowly “ then why the survival tactic mode still? Clearly we have our own plates of food; so we aren't going to tell you to stop, nor pull your plate away.”


        Randy replied “ yeah, savor your steak, as if it may be your last!” then grinned.


                Roy jabbed Randy with his finger, then gave him a strange look. Remy didn't see it, as he went back into his survival mode and hunched over his plate to eat more.


          “What Roy, it will be our last meal in America. Canada here we come, to hunt big game!” Randy said with enthusiasm.


                 George replied “ So true Randy! Let's finish eating and get back on the road. Ma'am could we have more tea, and the ticket. So we could see how much this delicious meal has cost us.”


           The waitress motioned her acknowledgement of his request. She brought over a pitcher of tea, and refilled each glass. Then set it down, took out her pad, tallied up the four meals into one total amount and set it on the table. As she started to walk away, pointing to the pitcher she stated “ I'll leave this for you boys, as I am off to make a fresh pot anyway!” Then walked off toward the kitchen.


        Randy spoke quietly saying “ nice waitress.”


               Remy replied “ Oh you got the hots for her, eh Randy!”


               Randy got angry and abruptly answered, “ no I don't I just think it was nice of her to leave the tea here for us.”


         Roy boldly said “ yes I do believe it was a very nice thing for her to do.”


                  George slammed his hand on the table, then remarked “ Real damn nice of her boys, so don't start anything Remington!”


               He already had to chime in to maintain an atmosphere of peace. They all knew how Remy was, that even the smallest of things would set Remy off. Causing him to go off in a tyrant, especially since he hadn't had a drop of alcohol in a few days.


           After a few minutes, Remy looked up at George and said “ I told you I'd behave George!”


                  “ Just reminding all of us. This is to be a memorable week for all of us. And to see how many animals we can bag. I sure could use a large Elk to stock my deep freezer, so its full for the winter. Of course I'll share what I kill with you or anyone else for that fact. Heard its gonna be a wicked winter, come the end of this year” George said to the others.


               “ Not gonna be fun especially if some supplies run low. Remember a few years back one family ran so low on firewood they froze to death!” Roy stated while shaking his head in sadness.


            Randy just shook his head in agreement, then took another drink of tea. George wasn't only talking to Remy, but to him also.


                   “ Now let's finish this hearty meal, and get back on the road” George remarked.


                       So they sat quietly and finished there meals. When they were done, George figured if they all pitched in $ 10.00 that it would cover the bill and the tip.


         Again George said he would take care of the bill, and told the others he would meet them back at the van. So the others took one last drink and departed the diner. Randy saw a gift shop, and began to head over to look in the window. He saw lots of beautiful items, he thought of buying something sparkly for Janice.


        Roy walked up and stood beside him, saying “ Randy don't even think about it. It's to soon to start buying anything for her.”


        “ I know Roy. But isn't that one there so pretty? I'm sure she would like that too” Randy said quietly.


      Remy walked up and teasingly said, “ What you girls oogling over? Oh look at all those shiny trinkets, aren't they so pretty!”


        “ Yeah Remy, they remind me of my mother. She used to always collect odd  shiny objects like these things!” Randy replied.


        “ Bet you miss her too Randy. How long has it been since she passed away? Two or three yrs. now........seems like yesterday she was making a delicious pie for your dad!” Roy remarked while staring off into space, as if recalling certain memories from his mind.


      Remy looked shocked, as if hearing this for the first time. Then said “ Oh hey Randy, I am so sorry. I'd forgot about your mom dying..... geeze I'm such an a*s..........”


          Randy turned and walked toward where they parked the van. He needed to keep his cool for at least one more day. Then he could let loose, and shoot him in the head! Then say he looked like a wild animal from a distance. He arrived at the van, and stood with his head down.


                Roy watched how Randy held his anger back. Then turned to Remy and gave him a dirty look. Thinking 'he could so cold sometimes', and shook his head while he strolled back to the van. Going up to the cabin was going to be a challenge for all of them. Randy and George were in the van already, and Roy climbed in the back.


              Then replied “ Hey Randy, I'm real proud of you. It took guts to walk away just now. Be patient, and you'll get your revenge. Remy still doesn't remember that he was drunk the night he ran your mother down. I don't think even Janice knows about that part of his life!”


               “ Yeah...... and she will never find out. It's just so hard to see her have to live each day under the same roof as him. You guys know I have loved Janice since we were kids. I want to be her protector, not just from that animal, but all the bad things in the world!” Randy said with sympathy.


                   George put his hand on Randy's shoulder, and said      “ yeah we know Randy, This is why this trip should be foolproof! Nothing must go wrong, either way we will not be going home with Remy!”


        George stared out the front vans window and contemplated how life would be for everyone, especially Janice. He knew she would be far better off without ' the monster' in her life. He doubted that she would even cry over his death. And maybe she could do something that she's always wanted to do.


              Randy smiled at George “ you know she will be far better off after he's gone, plus a lot happier!”


          The three sat in the van waiting for Remy to come. They wondered where he could have gone. Remy had snuck into the shop, to buy Janice a small trinket. He was trying to decide on what to say in the note, that he put with the trinket. He wasn't much on saying anything mushy, nor could he remember the last time he told her he loved her.


        The clerk asked him “ Having trouble with what to say sir?”


         Remy shyly answered “ yeah I am not into that lovey dovey stuff.”


        “ Well sir, we have some nice pre-printed cards, maybe you could use one of those. Just as a suggestion, I don't care what you put inside the envelope” she stated matter-of-factly.


          She walked away to let him look them over, then heard him mumbling to himself. As she was wiping off the glass, he finally chose one.


         Remy exhaustively said, “ guess this one will do. Please put it in a gift bag for me.”


          The clerk bagged the item he bought, along with the free card then handed him the bag.


         “ Thanks” he said gruffly.


       After he walked out the clerk replied “ Cheap b*****d, hope he gets hit by a car someday!”


         Just then she heard a loud screech, and ran to the door. Remy was hit by a car, and thrown 30 feet. The guys heard the sounds and turned to see Remy laying on the ground. They hurriedly climbed out of the van, and ran over to where he had landed.


              George spoke to Remy, “ Don't move” then yelled “someone call 911 �" we need an ambulance!”


              Remy said in slow breaths “ I don't think I'm gonna make it George.”


        “Shhhhh save your strength, Rem. The ambulance is on its way” George said to reassure him.


            Randy and Roy stood there and watched as the blood gushed out of his head. There was nothing anyone could do, he was dying right before their eyes.


          Remy slowly replied “ no I'm not gonna make it...... give this bag to Janice, tell her I am sorry for everything I ever did to her. She deserved a better life!”


            As he took his last breath, the emergency crew were climbing out of the ambulance. One of the EM guys checked his pulse, then shook his head. It was to late for him, he died.


          George took the bag from Remy's hand, and stood up. He looked over at Roy and Randy in disbelief. The EMT was asking who it was, how did it happen, but George was in a state of shock.

© 2010 Ice QueenJen


Author's Note

Ice QueenJen
I hope you like this chapter in my abuse story. Although nobody actually hurt in real life, some go to drastic measures to end the pain for the ones they love.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Intense. I gather.

-Brenda

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very interesting chapter. I like the conversation and the scene at the restaurant. It was a fast pace chapter. You create interesting characters and made me want to know more. The accident open the door for the next chapter.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 27, 2010
Last Updated on July 27, 2010

Author

Ice QueenJen
Ice QueenJen

Bakersfield, CA



About
Not only am I a woman, but a mother, friend, and hopefully the best person I could be. I have begun to broaden my horizons and get into writing poetry. But I also am an artist, and I am trying my ha.. more..

Writing
Gods? Gods?

A Poem by Ice QueenJen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Let's Let's

A Poem by Miss Coral