Christian Baptism versus Mithraism Initiation

Christian Baptism versus Mithraism Initiation

A Story by JacJak
"

My Latin teacher assigned this assignment to create a scenario where two belief systems would act definitely in a certain situation. Any help on this short writing would be great before TOMORROW!

"

 

                In the early stages of both belief systems of Christianity and Mithraism, new members had to be accepted to their communities of choice. Baptisms are different than initiations in that a baptism in the Christian faith absolves one from their original sin that they believe they are born with. An initiation, however, causes the new comer to the belief to perform a preset task or solve a scenario to prove that one is worthy to be joined with rest of the population believing in Mithraism. In Mithraism’s case, seven grades of initiation were used. Baptism into the Christian belief system can be more widely attractive because it appears to be simpler to take part in than the initiation of Mithraism because the new believer does not have to perform any physical task, only profess their faith. And for some, professing their faith might be harder than to perform the seven grades of initiation in Mithraism.
                The ideas of loyalty and fraternity were exalted by Mithraism. To soldiers, this belief system could certainly be more attractive because soldiers are placed into battles which cause them to rely on trust and each other. This alliance system goes right along with the beliefs of Mithraism. The renewal of the soul in baptism attracts Christians, who believe in the existence of original sin, because they search for a way to close the gap between Yahweh (their God) that sins causes. Both sets of belief appeal to different audiences that would be looking for a set of beliefs that correspond with their lifestyles.

© 2009 JacJak


Author's Note

JacJak
Any quicky help would be great...It's meant to be simple

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think it'll be fine. I really can't find anything wrong with it, it fills out everything you said you needed.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
1 Review
Added on January 6, 2009