Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Gabrielle rose

Chapter 1

I’ve always dreamed things, things about royalty, and magic and true love, things you find in story books, but I guess that is kind of expected because I read. A lot. So much that I started doing badly in school, because instead of working I would be reading.

 I’ve read science fiction books like The Hunger Games trilogy and Divergent. I’ve read fantasy books like Harry Potter and The Hobbit, I’ve read classics like Pride and Prejudice, oldies like Eleanor and Park, I’ve read action, adventure, romance of course, and biographies too and I enjoyed every single book I’ve ever read.

I enter the public library and go up to Martha’s desk. Martha is a librarian and she always knows what I’ve read and what I haven’t read.

“Hello Martha, nice morning isn’t it?” I ask her cheerfully handing over Sense and Sensibilities, which I’ve read before, but had to read again.

“Hello to you to Avery,” Martha said back collecting the hard back “what’s got you so cheery?”

“Oh nothing, just that it’s the start of summer and I finally have enough time to come here and read books to my heart’s content” I said with a sigh. Suddenly, a look crosses Martha’s face.

“Actually, you’ve read every book in the library, there’s no genre you haven’t finished” Martha said

“Really? Please Martha check again” I said gobsmacked because it sounded unbelievable. Martha scanned her computer screen.

“Well it looks like there’s just one left, it’s called Journal,” she said “that’s odd, there’s no author or publisher information”

“Can I please read it Martha, please?” I asked

“I’ll go get it for you now” she said and left her desk. I stood there waiting for her and I allowed my eyes to scan the library, nothing out of the ordinary, but as I continued to scan, I saw something odd. A boy that looked my age was staring at me with light blue eyes and I stared right back.

“Here you are, it’s a tad bit dusty but it’s in good shape” Martha said breaking the stare and I immediately started blushing. Martha looked up and followed my gaze. She smirked.

“That’s Keith Stevens, the only other fourteen year old that actually comes to the library” she says

“Oh” I said stupidly

“Here’s the book” she said handing me a leather bound book with JOURNAL written on the cover.

“Thanks” I said collecting the book and going to my usual seat which just so happened was right beside Keith. I sat down and opened the book.

“Hey,” Keith whispered “I’m Keith, I’m in your French class and literature class”

“I’m Avery” I whispered back

“I know” he said brushing his floppy brown bangs from his eyes. I looked at him closely. He had crystal blue eyes and freckles scattered across his little button nose.

“What are you reading?” he asked

“The only book left that I haven’t read” I said

“Really?” he asked with disbelief.

“Yes really, just ask Martha” I said a bit annoyed that he won’t believe me

“Oh. Cool. What’s the name of that book?” he asked looking over at the book

“It’s just called journal” I said getting pissed at him because I couldn’t read my book.

“Spooky” he said going back to his book. I started reading.

Day 1,

I stare at the gardener, James as he rakes and hoes while whistling a tune. I sigh because I’m being kept indoors today because the prince of France was coming to seek my hand in marriage and mother thought it best that I don’t get muddy working with James.

Later in the day, the prince arrives and I learn that his name is Jacques Clovis the third and he is eighteen, a good four years older than him. Of course we aren’t getting married yet, no, not until I turn eighteen.

I stop reading there because someone was breathing down my neck. I turned my head to see Keith reading with me, I was instantly annoyed.

“Read your own book” I snapped at him. He immediately went pink.

“I’m sorry, it just seems so interesting the way you were reading” he says and my anger goes away because he sounded sorry.

“Let’s make a deal, when I read a page, I give it to you, then when you read a page, you give it to me” I say and his face brightens.

“We’ll meet at the library everyday then” he states and I nod, handing him the journal.

“Opening time tomorrow don’t be late” I tell him

“I won’t, I promise” he says and I ride my skateboard home.

“How was the library?” mom asks when I reach home. She was cooking something, stew I think.

“Fine,” I said walking up to her and giving her a kiss on the cheek “where’s dad?”

She sighed and said, “He’s at work, he got a new job”

“That’s great, why didn’t you tell me?” I asked opening the fridge and getting out a bottle of fruit shoot.

“I only found out this morning” she said

“Where are the others?” I asked referring to my cousins Vita, she’s fifteen and Sophie, she’s fourteen who were staying with us for the summer.

“Out back” mom said putting something in the oven.

I went outside to the big garden which had a pool, where my two cousins were splashing about in.

“Hey girlies” I greeted them and they got out of the pool.

“Hey book worm how was your day?” Vita asked lying down on a beach chair, in her red bikini. My two cousins were gorge, they both were tall and willowy with shiny blonde hair and light brown eyes. They looked almost identical, but you could tell Vita was older.

“You could have swam with us, the water was great” Sophie said also lying down on a chair.

“I met someone at the library” I said lying down on a chair as well.

Sophie giggled while Vita turned around to look at me.

“A boy wasn’t it?” she asked

“Yes, he was annoying” I said

“What does he look like?” Sophie asked looking at me

“Floppy brown hair, crystal blue bambi eyes, button nose and freckles” I stated

“Sounds cute but dorky if he stays in a library” Vita said rolling over so her back was facing the warm London sun. Sophie giggled.

“We set up this book thingy where we give each other the same book every day after reading a page of this one book I found at the library” I said

“So you’re seeing him tomorrow?” Sophie asked

“Yes, I can’t wait, the book is so interesting” I said with a sigh

“Can I follow you to the library tomorrow?” Sophie asked and I turned to look at her.

“Sure,” I said “if you want to but no giggling at the library, you’ll get kicked out”

“Okay” Sophie said and I wondered what she was looking for at the library.

“We should go in, mom’s cooking stew” I said getting up. Sophie also got up while Vita groaned in response before getting up and rubbing her tummy.

“I heard food” she mumbled picking up her cream cover up and throwing it on.

We all followed her back inside where mom was dishing lamb stew and buns.

“Just in time girls, settle down you must be starved” mom said and I looked at her “Where’s Silver?” I asked

“That silly little dog? He’s having a little nap in your room” she answered and I giggled, ever since I got the American Eskimo puppy three days ago, he couldn’t leave me alone and when I wasn’t home, he sat in my room and whined eventually falling asleep.

“I’m just going to get him because I’m pretty sure no one fed him” I said going upstairs to my room.

Silver was asleep with his mouth wide open and his tongue sticking out.

“Silver” I call rubbing his back, he immediately jerks awake and jumps on me, licking my face, causing me to giggle.

I lift him away from my face and take him downstairs, where everyone was at the table, including my dad.

“Daddy!” I shout

“Sorry Aves, I’m exhausted” he says with a yawn and I already hate his new job

“Take Silver away from the table Avery” Mom says

“He’s hungry” I defend and Silver gives a little whimper. Smart dog.

“Fine, but not on the table” mom says with a sigh as I fill Silver’s dish with dog food. He yaps happily and starts eating. I start eating too.

“So dad, how was work?” I ask

“Work was fine Avery” dad said tiredly

“Are you sure? You sound tired” I say

“Just leave me alone” dad said frustrated. He got up from the table and stormed out the door. Everyone was staring at me.

“I didn’t mean to” I said sadly.

“I know love, your dad’s just stressed with his new job” mom says petting my head.



© 2014 Gabrielle rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
Added on August 6, 2014
Last Updated on August 6, 2014


Author

Gabrielle rose
Gabrielle rose

Lagos, Nigeria



Writing