The Coffee Shop

The Coffee Shop

A Chapter by Kali Haines

I sat down on a couch in a quaint little coffee shop to read a book and relax after a long day at work.  I ordered a frozen mocha and looked around the shop at all the pictures and displays.  It gave such a good vibe I couldn’t believe I’d never been there before. 

I sat down and I opened Percy Jackson, which was the current book series I was reading.  I leaned back in the chair and let myself dive into my book.  The lady behind the counter brought my drink to me and I smiled at her.

I looked over on the table in front of me and noticed that there were little papers to doodle on and stick under the glass tabletop.  That is so cute, I thought to myself.  I picked one up and started drawing a flower on it.  I guess I would call myself an artist since I’d been painting and drawing since I was really little, but I wasn’t perfect at all.  I shaded it, put my name on it, and stuck it under the glass table with the others.

I picked up another piece of paper and started drawing the female body.  I had just been learning how to draw it properly so I decided to practice a little bit.

“Nice b***s,” I heard from behind me.  I jerked around to see a boy around my age standing behind my chair with a coffee in his hands.

“Oh!” I laughed nervously, “I was just practicing drawing the female body… which yes, I know, sounds strange I guess when I say it but…” I give up and hid the drawing inside my book, which was beside me.

He walked around to the other side of my couch and sat down in the chair next to me.  I can get a good look at him now.  He had really light red hair, a very slender body, and bright blue eyes.  He wore a loose cream colored shirt and dark colored jeans.  I smiled at him.

“They are very perky,” He says

“Excuse me?”  I retort almost immediately.

“The b***s.  In your drawing,” he laughed and took a sip of his coffee, “They’re big and perky.”

I laugh and look at him sarcastically, “They look exactly like mine,”

He scoffs back at me, “Oh, I’m quite sure,” he rolled his eyes and took another sip.  I squinted my eyes at him as I take a sip of my drink.

He smiled at me.  My heart starts to pound for some reason.  I guess the coffee is starting to kick in.

“I’m Lucas.  I guess I should introduce myself since I’m insulting you already,” He extends his hand toward me.

“Eva.”  I shake his hand while still squinting.

“You’re reading something?”  He asks as he sits back in his chair.

“I don’t know if you’ve read it, it’s kind of a kid’s book, but it’s my favorite.”  I hold up my Percy Jackson book so he can see it.

“Oh my god.”

“Yeah I know it’s strange but…”

“It’s my favorite book,” He says to me.  I look at him and he’s smiling.

“Wait really?”

“Absolutely!  How strange.  Draws b***s, AND loves Percy Jackson.”  That shouldn’t have made me blush but it did.

My phone buzzed with a text from my mother asking where I was, “Oh I have to go home, sorry I can’t stay and talk longer,” I stood up to put my book back in my bag.  I sling it over my shoulder and turn toward Lucas, “It was really nice meeting you.  Even though you insulted my drawing.”  I extended my hand out again, first this time.

“I never said I didn’t like it,” He stood up to return the gesture.  His hands were soft and his fingers were long and slender.  He’s a bit taller than me, probably around 6’.  I looked at his face and smile.

“Have a nice day!”  I said as I walked out the door. 

I smiled the whole way to the parking garage where my car was.  As I was unlocking my car I thought, I didn’t even get his number or anything. 

I shut my door and ran back to the coffee shop.  I opened the door and looked around.  Lucas wasn’t there anymore.  I didn’t even know his last name so I could look him up on Facebook. 

I went up to the counter, “Do you know if that boy comes in here often?”

The lady looked at me, then looked behind me and said, “Not until now.”

I was blushing even before I turned around.  He was standing in the doorway looking at me.  He had a piece of paper in his hands.

I smiled as he walked toward me, “I tried to look for you but I must have lost you.  I never asked for your number so I figured I would give you mine.  I didn’t know how often you came here so I didn’t know if I would see you again.”

I walked up to him, grabbed the piece of paper and said, “You will,” and walked out.

I smiled even bigger this time. 

 

 

 



© 2016 Kali Haines


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on June 16, 2016
Last Updated on June 16, 2016
Tags: love, loss, first love, love at first sight, soulmates, romance


Author

Kali Haines
Kali Haines

Writing