Kelli's Trip to Italy

Kelli's Trip to Italy

A Story by Kelli Anderson

KELLI’S ITALY TRIP

 

     Kelli Elizabeth Anderson thought her life was going pretty well, until her boyfriend Jesse Patrick Wilkes broke up with her.  They had been dating for almost 2 years.  At first she cried, and then realized the guy was never all that great to her, and that she was better off without him in her life.  Besides it now freed her up to do the things she’s always wanted to do, like traveling overseas.  She’s always wanted to go to Italy, and Jesse just never had the desire to ever go with her.

     Today Kelli was getting together with her family to tell them that she was leaving for Italy the next morning.  She knew they wouldn’t like the fact that she wasn’t giving them much of a notice, but she didn’t want anyone to talk her out of going.  She planned to do this even if they didn’t want her to go.  She was taking a month to go to Italy, so she took a leave of absence from work.  She was an attorney for a really great law firm, in New York City.

     Kelli was 28 years old.  She had fairly long light brown, almost blond hair.  She had blue eyes.  She was 5’9” and weighed 145 lbs.  She had lost both her parents when she was 13 years old.  She has a sister Katherine “Katie” Margaret, who was 32 years old.  She was married to Neal Philip Johnson.  They had 2 children, 1 boy and 1 girl.  The boy, Brian Christopher who was 4 years old and Nicole Elizabeth who was 3 years old, who just adored her Aunt Kelli to no end.  Neal was a salesman for a large department store in downtown Manhattan.  Katie was a mother and housewife.  She loved what she did, and wouldn’t trade it for anything.

     Kelli also had two brothers, Christopher Michael, who was 29 years old.  He wasn’t married; however he was living with Celina Katherine Williams.  They’ve been together 5 years.  Chris worked in a bakery in downtown New York City.  He’s been with the company for 8 years.  Celina was a dance instructor, in her own dance studio.

     Kelli’s other brother; Eric Brian was 27 years old.  He had the same hair color as Kelli did.  He was a mechanic in the garage near where he lived.  He lived in the same apartment since he graduated high school.  He was engaged to Sydney Anne Meyers.  They’ve been dating since high school.  They were supposed to get married in a few months.  She was studying to be a lawyer. 

     As Kelli was growing up, she lived with her Aunt Maggie after her parents’ deaths.  At the time her Aunt was widowed.  Her husband and Kelli’s uncle John had died in an accident at where he worked.

     Kelli also grew up with many cousins, most of which were male cousins.  She had never regretted that time.  She also had her grandparents on her mom’s side.  Kelli still spent time at her Aunt’s house, especially in the summer, since she had a large house that also included a large swimming pool.  They would have pool parties in the summertime.

     She was going to her Aunt’s house now, where the whole family was to get together, and so she thought this would be the best time to say that she was leaving, and wouldn’t be back until the end of next month.

     Sometime later Kelli showed up at her Aunt’s house.  She opened the door, and walked in.  That’s what her Aunt always told her and the rest of the family to do.  She always told them that she didn’t have time to always open the door for them, when they were family.  They were always welcome there.

     “Hello, is anyone here?” Kelli called out.  Kelli didn’t get any reply though.  She wondered where everyone was.  She then realized that they were all probably out back on the deck or near the pool area.  There was a lot of seating out there, so that’s where she headed.

     When Kelli walked out, she could hear all the kids.  Her Aunt then saw her, and walked towards her.  “Kelli, dear.  I was wondering when you would get here.  How are you, dear?” Aunt Maggie asked her, and then she hugged her.

     “Hi, Aunt Maggie.  I’m fine.  How are you?” Kelli asked her.  It has been a few weeks since she saw her last.

     “Oh just peachy, dear.” Aunt Maggie replied.  “How about something to quench your thirst?  There’s some lemonade or iced tea over there.” She said, pointing to a nearby table.

     “Oh, I’d love some, thanks.” Kelli said, and then walked away to get some.

     “Hey, Kelli.” Oliver, one of her cousins called out to her.  He had always been her favorite cousin.  In fact, he had always been there for her, even more than her own two brothers ever were.  He was 32 years old.  He had black hair with amazing green eyes.  They always said it was unusual to have green eyes with black hair.  He was 6’4”.  He had been her best friend after her parents died.  He had taken her under his wing.

     “Hi, Oliver.” She said to him.  She gave him a big hug.

     “I’ve missed you.” He told her.

     “It’s not like you never hear from me.  You’re always texting me.  How are you?” She asked him.

     “I’m doing well.” He replied.

     “Hope you’re not working too hard.” He told her.

     “Well as of tomorrow, I won’t be.  I’m going on vacation for a month.  I’ve decided to finally take some leave from work.” She told him.  He had told her that she worked far too much and that she should take some time off.

     “So you and Jesse are going on vacation?” He asked.  No one knew yet that Jesse had broken up with her.  She knew that none of them really liked him either.  He used to yell at her in front of her family.

     “No, just me.  Jesse broke up with me last month.  I just didn’t tell anyone.  I wasn’t ready to.” Kelli told him.

     “You and Jesse broke up?” Katie said as she approached.  She had heard what her sister had said.

     “Yes, he broke up with me.” Kelli said.  She wasn’t sure what her sister was going to say.  She wasn’t sure what anyone says, she was glad he was no longer a part of her life; she was too good for him anyways.

     Katie then hugged her.  “I’m so happy for you.  You didn’t need him anyways.  I never liked him anyways.  I never liked the way he treated you.  He was such a jerk.” She told her sister.

     “Why didn’t you ever say anything?” Kelli asked her.

     “Because I thought you were really in love with him, and you wouldn’t have listened to me anyways.” Katie told her.

     Kelli figured she was probably right.  She thought the guy loved her, but obviously he didn’t.  “Well, all I want to do now is forget him.”

     “Kelli’s going on vacation.” Oliver then replied.  They both had forgotten that he was still standing there.

     “Vacation?  Where are you going?” Katie asked.  She was surprised because Kelli rarely went on vacation.  She was always so busy working to take one.

     “I’ve always wanted to go to Italy.  With Jesse out of the picture, I can finally do this.  I’m leaving tomorrow morning.” Kelli told them.

     “Leaving tomorrow?  For where?” Her Aunt Maggie asked, as she heard the last part of what Kelli was saying.

     “She’s going to Italy.” Oliver replied.  He was happy for her.  He thought she deserved some happiness for once.  He knew she’s always wanted to travel but he didn’t know she ever wanted to go to Italy.

     “Italy?  You’re leaving tomorrow?” Her sister asked.  She couldn’t believe she was leaving.  They always talked, but this was the first time she had heard she was going on vacation, and out of the country.  “Why didn’t you say anything before?”

     Kelli never expected her sister to react like this, but then she should have.  They’ve always been close.  “I didn’t want anyone to talk me out of going.  I’ve waited a long time for this.  Can’t you just be happy for me?  This is something that I’ve always wanted to do.  Jesse never had the desire to go anywhere.  It’s not like I’m not coming back.  I’ll be back in a month, maybe a little longer.” Kelli told her sister.

     “A month, or longer?  Kelli, I’m going to miss you so much.” Katie told her.  The tears then started.

     “Come on Katie, don’t cry.  I’ll be back before you know it.  I love you and I will be back.” Kelli told her sister.  She knew how emotional she could get, but then again, so could she.

     “When exactly are you leaving?  I would like to go to the airport with you.” Katie told her.

     “No, that’s why we’re all here, so I could say goodbye to everyone.” Kelli told her.  “People start crying and then I will.”

     “I think it’s wonderful that you’re going.  I hope you have a wonderful time, dear.” Her aunt told her.

     “I’m going to try and have a good time.” Kelli replied.  She was so looking forward to it.

     “Isn’t it dangerous for a woman to travel along, abroad?” Katie asked her.

     “I’ll be fine; stop worrying.” Kelli told her sister.

     “I can’t help it.  You know how I get.” Katie told her.

     Kelli knew how she got; she had to deal with it all her life, but she knew that she would miss her.  She loved her sister.  She enjoyed spending time with her and her family.  She knew that her sister felt badly for things not working out between her and Jesse, due to the fact that she was the one who set them up.  She tried to tell her it wasn’t her fault that these things happen.

     As Kelli was leaving, her family wished her a safe and happy trip.  They all hugged her too.  She was going to miss them all, but knew this was something that she had to do.  She felt that something great was about to happen to her, and she wasn’t about to let it pass her by.

     As Kelli climbed into her car, she then allowed the tears to come.  She has always been close to her family, and knew that she would miss them as much as they would miss her.

     Next day Kelli had to rush to get to the airport.  She was running later than she had planned.  She wanted to get there in plenty of time but she had overslept by 20 minutes.  She had 1 large bag and 1 overnight bag.  She didn’t like to take too much with her; only what she really couldn’t live without.  She had placed her bags by the front door the night before.  She even put her ticket, wallet, and visa in her overnight bag so she wouldn’t forget anything.  She was so excited that she was hoping that she wasn’t forgetting anything.

     After Kelli checked in her bag, she grabbed her overnighter and ran down the concord to her gate.  As she was almost there, she rushed around a corner and literally ran right into some guy.  She dropped her bag and some of the contents fell out.  She dropped to the floor to retrieve her things.  She hadn’t seen the man’s face.

     The guy felt badly when he realized that he had ran into some lady.  “I’m sorry, let me help you.” The man told her, as he bent over to help her.

     “No, I should have watched where I was going, but I was in such a hurry to catch my flight.” She told him.  “And I wasn’t watching.”

     The man thought he knew the woman.  “Kelli Anderson?” He said, because that’s who he thought it was, but wasn’t quite sure.

     Kelli looked up at him then, and when she did, she saw the most amazing gray eyes she had ever seen.  “Yeah?” She replied.

     “You don’t remember me, do you?  We’ve only known each other since we were kids.” He told her, and then smiled at her.

     Kelli would recognize that smile anywhere.  “Steve Henry?” She asked.  She couldn’t believe it.  She had tried to find him when she went back to New York, but wasn’t able to locate him.

     “So you do remember me?  God you look amazing.” He commented, as he took a closer look at her.

     “So do you.  Look I have to go.  My flight leaves in about 20 minutes.” She told him.  “We should get together sometime after I get back.  I’m living back here in New York again.” She told him.

     “So am I.  I won’t be back this way though for about a month.  I’m going to Italy for the first time.  I just want to stay here and talk to you.  It’s been so long.” He told her.  He then saw her smiling.  “What are you smiling about?”  He wondered if it was because he was babbling or because it was something else.

     “I’m also on my way to Italy, for the first time.” She told him.

    “Really?  Small world.” He told her.  “I’m heading to gate 21.  Which gate are you going to?  Maybe we can walk together.”

     “I’m also at Gate 21.” She replied.

     “Well, it looks like were on the same flight.  The world is getting smaller by the minute.  Maybe we can talk on the plane.” He told her.

     “Yes, if we get going.” Kelli replied.  She didn’t want to miss her flight, but she did want to talk to him some more.

     “Oh, you’re right.” He said.

     As they arrived in the waiting area, they were calling people to board the plane. 

     “I’m so excited about the trip, but I’m more excited in seeing you.” He told her.  He couldn’t wait to talk to her more in length.  He wanted to know what she’s been up to since they last saw each other.

     They boarded the plane.  They were both in first class, and they were across the aisle from each other.  This would give them both a chance to catch up with the other.

     Steve helped her with her bag.  He placed it in the overhead compartment.

     “I still can’t believe my luck at seeing you again.  I tried to find you, Kelli.  Do you know how many Kelli Anderson’s there are in the US alone?  If I would have known that you were back in New York, I probably could have found you.  The last I heard about you, was you went off to college somewhere in Texas.  Is that right?” Steve asked her.  He had so many questions.  “Why did you go to Texas anyways?” He was curious to know. 

     “Just so you know, I was only in Texas a year, when I came back.  I went off to Harvard.  I decided to go into law.  I’m an attorney now.  Besides I missed my family too much, so I came back.  I tried to find you then, but I had heard that you too had left for college.  No one told me where you went.” She told him.

     “I went out to LA for a while.  I also studied law.  I became a cop here in New York for a while, now I’m a carpenter.  I build houses.  I couldn’t handle being a cop.  I was shot in the line of duty, and that was it for me.  I like what I’m doing now.  So you went to Harvard.  You must have done well if you’re an attorney now.  That’s quite impressive.” He said as he smiled at her.

     “I don’t know about impressive.  It hasn’t been easy.  I’m now going on vacation to get away from it awhile.  Besides, I just ended a bad relationship.  He broke up with me, but I should have done it some time ago.” She told him.  “I don’t think I’ve taken a real vacation in a long time; I was due for one.”  She didn’t know why she told him any of that.

     “I’m not seeing anyone either, so I thought it would be a great time to go on vacation.” Steve told her.  “Besides who needs an excuse to go on vacation to Italy?  Why did you select Italy?”

     “Excuse me?” She asked.  She wondered what he was asking her.

     “Why did you select Italy as your destination?” He asked.

     “It’s where I’ve always wanted to go.  Don’t you remember that we talked about going there one day, together?” She then asked him.  She wondered if he did forget.  She did remember when they talked about it.

     “We talked about this, huh?” Steve asked.  He remembered, he was only teasing her.

     Kelli knew by the smile on his face, that he was teasing her.  “You smart Alex, we did.”

     “Kelli, I miss all the talks we use to have.  I’m glad to see you still have your sense of humor.  How’s your family?  You use to talk about them a lot.  Remember all those times where I use to sneak into your room just to be with you.  We talked a lot those times.” He told her. 

     “I’ve never forgotten.  I still think about those times.  The family is doing fine.

    

 

© 2012 Kelli Anderson


Author's Note

Kelli Anderson
story not yet complete

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on March 25, 2012
Last Updated on March 25, 2012