Who I am and My First Day Beyond the Bridge

Who I am and My First Day Beyond the Bridge

A Chapter by Brittany Russum

My name is Levon "Teddy Bear" Simms, I was born on a very stormy windy day. I was saved along with my two sisters and brother by a two humans on the very day of our birth. Our human mother fed us and gave us warm cuddles from the very beginning. Our human father helped us find our names, each of us was given a name based on the songs of Sir Elton John. My two sisters are Tiny Dancer and Bennie, my brother is Rocket Man. I lived in a nice home that was never short on cuddles. My mother gave me tummy rubs until I would fall asleep and I was happy, but you see I was sick. My mother and father did what they could to keep me comfortable and I stayed and fought as long as I could, but on a sunny day my parents and I decided that it was time for me to cross the Rainbow Bridge, a place where I would no longer feel pain, a place where I could eat all the shrimp I could ever want. I left the earth the same way I would fall asleep, being held in my mother's arms as she rubbed my tummy.  I knew she would be sad once I was gone, so before I crossed the bridge I smiled one last time, within my smile I promised to return to my mother to tell her my adventures on the other side of the bridge.





 On my first day beyond the bridge, a celebration was held for me by my big brother Sir Patrick, you see he had died of the same sickness just eight months prior to me. As I first walked across the bridge, there he stood in his fancy top hat and a monocle on his left eye. My mother had told me that Patrick was a fancy cat but at that moment my mother's description fell flat, for Patrick was a highly regarded gentleman. He walked on his hind legs as if he were human, with a smile he welcomed me and showed me to his place. He lived on a hill in a cozy little house complete with a big willow tree.
 It was a beautiful sight to see, once inside I began to meet so many cats and other animals who had all come across the Rainbow Bridge. There was tea, shrimp, and all kinds of fish to eat; I began to get bored of meeting everyone and I missed my mother and father dearly. Then all of a sudden there was a big crash, it came from Patrick's library. Of course everyone startled and curious went looking for what caused the commotion, I of course. joined them.  Inside the library, there was glass and a ginger cat on the floor,  his name Frank. 
  Patrick stood there absolutely furious that his favorite lamp had been broken and that Frank had been drinking sherry instead of the tea provided. Patrick felt as though Frank had ruined my welcoming celebration, I, on the other hand, felt as if Frank had made a rather boring party more interesting. I helped Frank to his feet and it was then that I noticed that not only was Frank a ginger cat but he was also wearing a kilt, he was Scottish! 

  I was astounded to see that this cat had come from another country, I had always thought that there were separate areas for each nation, the more I learned the more curious I became. Embarrassed and furious, Patrick decided that it was time to send everyone home, I wish I could say I was thankful but I wanted to learn more about Frank, he seemed so full of adventure and fun. Once the house was empty Patrick showed me to his guest bedroom, he said, "tomorrow I will show you to your new home." I was confused by this, where would he take me? I had had no place, no furniture, no nothing. I started to ask him what he meant but he smiled at me and said, "Picture a place that makes you who you are, picture what you would like to have and tomorrow it will be there, everything you picture will be right there for you to see."  With that he bid me goodnight and I still very much confused and tired drifted off to sleep. I dreamt of my mother that night, I told her about my day and how curious and funny Frank was. 

  I told her how I missed her and father and my siblings but most of all I told her about what Patrick had said. I asked her what I should do and she said, " Picture what home means to you, picture the trees blowing in the wind, the sun coming in the windows. Picture the home you have always wanted. Most of all listen to your brother, he will help guide you." I wanted to stay there with my mother, but soon she faded from my vision and darkness came to me. 


© 2015 Brittany Russum


Author's Note

Brittany Russum
Ignore grammar problems, open your mind and see what he sees

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on June 8, 2015
Last Updated on June 8, 2015


Author

Brittany Russum
Brittany Russum

Centerview, MO



About
That girl with the beautiful glow on her face, that's her fire just below the surface. She's a bit dark, passionate, and one hell of a lover. Writing has always been a way to escape my realities, a.. more..

Writing
Alone Alone

A Story by Brittany Russum