Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Katie King

Blue skies soared above my head, not a single cloud in sight. The wind whistled softly through the trees; it was the perfect weather. I sat cross-legged in the cool, dry, grass. I looked up at my mother, whilst holding a hand up to my eyes to shield me from the bright, searing sun.

“He isn’t coming…is he?”

My mother swiftly brushed a strand of auburn hair from her face and crouched down beside me with a small, deplorable smile. “Honestly, I don’t know.”  

I let my head drop and began pulling out pieces of the grass beneath me. Still beside me, my mother gently clasped one of her pale hands around my chin and slowly pulled my face towards her. “Erikur, you’ll have a great party regardless. Now come on, those decorations can’t be set up by themselves, can they?” And with hose last words, she rose from the ground and made her way back inside the small, stone-built house. Hoping she was right, I pulled myself up off the ground and followed her inside.

After several of my friends and classmates had arrived, some bringing presents and food, others nothing, my mother called out for everyone to gather around the small buffet table she had previously set up. I made my way over to my mother and sat in a chair beside her at the table.

“Thank-you all for coming to celebrate Erik’s 10th birthday! If you could all place the presents over-Harry! Liam! Stop fighting and get over here.” Sighing, she ran a hand freely through her thick, wavy hair before continuing. “Anyway, I have a delicious cake prepared, it’s time to sing happy birthday!”

A low groan escaped my lips as I prepared myself for what was coming. After a few seconds of cheering and laughter, they began to sing. Some voices were high pitched; others low, a few of the kids were just miming the words.

After the not-so-melodic torture had ended, I stared into the small flames that danced along the tip of each candle; I wish I could see my father again.

And with that, I leant over the lace-covered table and with one short sharp breath, blew out all ten candles.

That’s when the screaming began.

It was a split second before I realized what was happening. Whilst blowing out the candles, I had heard a low rumbling noise, but thought nothing of it. That was until a van, painted black and rusted all over, burst through the old wooden gates that led into our backyard. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion, various sizes of wood flew through the air, showering over almost every area of the diminutive backyard. Shrieking with terror, friends and parents began running in all directions, not aiming for a specific destination. They just wanted to get away. Heart pounding a mile a minute and eyes widened in shock, I couldn't move. I faintly heard my mother’s voice in the distance. I turned my head and saw her, with open arms, beckoning for me to come to her. She called my name over and over, but I was too shaken with nerves to get my legs moving.

Before I knew it someone was pulling me, with their large heavy hands. Their touch was unfamiliar…I looked up and saw the person grabbing me; they were wearing some sort of mask, with holes cut in for the eyes. The eyes, which looked like bottomless pits of darkness, they were empty, they were soulless…

Men, all clothed in long dark coats, surrounded me, barricading me from my friends and mother. I tried to shout and wriggle my way out of the man’s arms, but it was useless. Tears rolled down my mother’s cheeks as she pleaded for me. Some of the parent’s tried comforting her, a few even went after the man dragging me away, but it was all too late. I was immediately shoved into the dark depths of the van with the door in front of me being slammed shut. I banged on the door, kicked it, screamed, trying to force my way out, but I was locked in, dislocated from the outside world. I nestled myself in the corner of the van, lonely and confused. In that moment, I knew I would never see it all again. I would never kiss the sun, breathe in that fresh air, or even see daylight again. I was a prisoner of this infection.

 



© 2013 Katie King


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A couple of explanations added in this would have been good. Like where you (the protagonist) were told by your mother that the father went off to. It creates a fuller back-story and brings more depth to your characters.

Also, what are the various sizes of wood?

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
1 Review
Added on November 3, 2013
Last Updated on November 3, 2013


Author

Katie King
Katie King

Gold Coast, Australia



About
16, still in highschool. i've had 2 short stories published, but my major goal is to someday get my horror/thriller novels published. more..

Writing
The Lure The Lure

A Story by Katie King


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Katie King


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Katie King