Potential Prologue

Potential Prologue

A Story by MaxiMyMutt
"

I'm hopefully going to write up more chapters to follow this preview, but I'm not sure yet.

"

I sat up in a certain burst of awareness. This wasn’t my room, this wasn’t my home, this wasn’t the part in a nightmare where I pinch myself awake. No, I was in a room that was filled with a gloomy darkness, hiding the location of the corners where the bare walls met. I rubbed my eyes harshly, trying to adjust to the lack of lighting in order to figure out where I was. I looked to the side of me and saw two, thin, cream colored candles that were lit and being propped up by simple, silver discs. They looked as though they had been burning for a while now, and they were my only source of light in the entire space. I reach slowly for one of the silver bases, but I didn’t quite grasp it as a sudden force jerked my wrist back. Chains. I was definitely in a heap of trouble.


I grabbed my wrist where the sturdy chains had rubbed my skin raw. A smooth breeze blew through an invisible window up in the darkest part of the room, shifting the flames side to side. As the wind passed, goosebumps had crawled around my bare skin. I realize that I had a single blanket under my body and another one, slightly thicker than the fs of those who were traveling with me. Tears were streaming down all of the their faces, the waterirst, placed over my lap. Under the blankets, I was covered by nothing but a dramatically torn shirt and an equally damaged pair of shorts. Suddenly, I recognized a pounding throughout the inside of my head, starting from the mid-left area of my skull, that kept a painful beat. I scrunched up and lifted my restrained hands to find that I had a large bump that was creating a trail of dried blood down the side of my face.


In the silence, I began to search my memories to recap what had led to this moment. Fire came as a first thought, then the face making its way against the spots of mud, starting from their weary eyes. Fire and tears, mud and hunger, injuries and smiles, all of which created a familiar pattern in my mind.


The panic started then, as the pieces fell into place; we had been found and captured.

© 2013 MaxiMyMutt


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on June 13, 2013
Last Updated on June 13, 2013
Tags: prologue, potential, preview, draft, short, chapter, story, book