The beginning

The beginning

A Chapter by Kathleen Devai

Only the light from the candle flickered in the shadowed doorway
Creating a spectre that seemed to dance , first across the floor and then overtaking the walls .
The night air crept in with it , bringing a chill that seemed to attack the inner soul.
Across the room lay a dark corner , no light seemed to dare enter this forbidden , damp area , that in ones mind , grew with each second . Reaching out with only a silent call in the mind , 'look , I dare you to look ,'eyes look down , afraid to let their eyes search into the dark void . Heart beats in time with the forever circling of the shadows that grow in strength from the fear that fills the room . Page two
She knew that death was upon her , it surrounded her like a moth that makes it own cocoon
Although this was not silk , it's icy coldness would not allow any warmth upon her skin. The shadows crept in dancing wildly as if to a unheard melody , closer and closer they came , she trembled , her eyes wide with fright , her heart beat faster in time to the silent orchestra that seemed to crescendo .
Her eyes were unable to close as if some invisible force had taken control of her mind and body , like a puppeteer the shadows controlled her . Slowly her head turned towards the darkest corner.

Part three
Her eyes reached into the darkest depth, she was no longer in control , her sharp intakes of breath seemed to echo in the room. Faster and faster , it felt as though her heart would shatter into a thousand pieces at any moment . Please , please , no more , release me from your grip ,she knew her cries were only in her mind for she had lost control of her own body a while ago .
The shadows continued to spin around her , insanity was not not far behind .
Out of the darkest corner , two branch like arms twisted and turned , gnarled hands reached towards her . She felt the coldness approach her before it even reached her .
Part three
She waited , powerless and afraid , her ears pounded with the sudden flow of her blood rushing in her veins as if to escape . The shadow was upon her now , with it came a stale air , a smell of decaying flesh . She knew it was the end , she thought may it end quickly , without pain , she wanted it to end ! The last hour had been the longest she had ever known , longer then the times she had spent roaming the streets , lost and alone , afraid ,cold , and no where to call home .
That's how she had ended up in this situation in the first place .
Snow had been on the ground for many weeks , pretty and magical for some , but not if you had to try and survive without shelter , without warmth , without food some days . When you walked past a cafe and the smell of food seemed to tease your every sensory nerve , and your stomach growled with discontent.
The house stood alone , ice lay on the windows glistening in the daylight , the door was slightly ajar , a welcoming site , she looked around her , no one was about , who would know she had gone inside anyway ? Who would care ?
So she slowly pushed the door , and slipped inside ....




© 2017 Kathleen Devai


Author's Note

Kathleen Devai
ignore grammar, I'm working on improvement! i lack all skills but i do have imagination

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on August 29, 2017
Last Updated on September 18, 2017


Author

Kathleen Devai
Kathleen Devai

birmingham, west midlands, United Kingdom



About
A creative photographer, with a huge imagination,started to write a couple of years ago,but then decided not to, busy life and all that, I've wrote poetry and had it published, only local newspapers. .. more..

Writing
Wilf Wilf

A Chapter by Kathleen Devai