Ignorance is Not Always Bliss

Ignorance is Not Always Bliss

A Story by Kat
"

The story of the people I thought I knew, but were never real.

"
When I started seventh grade I started to explore the internet. I would joke around on my Myspace and go on websites of my favorite shows. I ran across a site called The-N. This gave you the ability to watch shows with people from anywhere. This is where it began. I met him. 
His name was Sean, or so i was told. We got to know each other over the course of a few weeks and I thought he was amazing. I would stay up all night talking to him and learning all about the life he lived in Connecticut. After some time we moved over to AOL, where I got to talk with his girl friend and a few of his best friends. They began to feel like family. I would stay up as long as I could and wake up as early as possible and spend my entire day talking to them. At the time they seemed like my only friends. 
I wasn't a popular kid, if anything I was the farthest you could get from it. But I had many friends, even if they lived across the country from me. For five years they helped me though some of the most traumatic things that I would have to go through. In some way, they saved my life. 
Christmas of my Junior year of high school rolled around. I jumped online as I always did, and then I saw what i never thought would come. They were all gone, all but one. I broke out in a panic. I couldn't understand and this had to be the worst time for something like this to happen. Then I got the message. 
This was a message from a Facebook page of a boy i had rarely talked to. In this message was the truth of these friendships. Over 40 Facebook's were made in this time period and they all turned out to be one girl. A girl I had never once heard about. She was a few years younger than the people I thought I knew. She new them from school and heard all of their problems. She used them to create the people i thought i knew. But they all came to be lied based off the truth. 
It was a little over two years ago when I got the news. I found the real people and informed them of what had been going on. I acted as though i was okay with it, but in reality i was completely destroyed. This is the first time in over a year and a half that I have truly thought about them. And with these thoughts I realized a great deal. These people had died to me. 
They may be alive and well, along with the girl who was playing them but the people i knew, who i called my family and friends, had died. With the devastation that I felt and the problems I was already dealing with at the time, I never got to morn them. Though I may never be able to forgive the girl who tricked me, I will always be in debt to her. She did after all save my life.
This isn't to say that at times i wasn't questioning these people. Mistakes where made and things began to come clear, but after so long i couldn't let myself acknowledge these facts because it would mean that I am over all alone. And looking back, that might have been the best timing because i was able to work through my problems myself, and become more independent for myself. 
So rest in peace friends. You may have been a lie, but you will never be forgotten. 

© 2014 Kat


Author's Note

Kat
This is a true story that I needed to get out into the world. I hope that no one ever has to go through the pain that I did. Don't ignore the signs, you may never know who you are friends with.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think the way you viewed the situation is probably about the best and most well balanced anybody going through such an event might. A very strong tale that lets the reader think about those that they think they know or just assume they know and makes one ponder what might not be real, or is real and we're unable to know for sure.

In a sense, it kinda reminds me of how young children might have so call "imaginary friends" for a time in order to deal with tough spots in their youth. While in the end they know that they were just fictions, at the time... they may just as well have been heros and life savers.

Great Inking!
Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I've been through a similar situation like this before, but they were real friends. I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through something like this, and hopefully things will get better for you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I think the way you viewed the situation is probably about the best and most well balanced anybody going through such an event might. A very strong tale that lets the reader think about those that they think they know or just assume they know and makes one ponder what might not be real, or is real and we're unable to know for sure.

In a sense, it kinda reminds me of how young children might have so call "imaginary friends" for a time in order to deal with tough spots in their youth. While in the end they know that they were just fictions, at the time... they may just as well have been heros and life savers.

Great Inking!
Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with A. Amos, a poignant tale. It is wonderful that you can also see the good; excellent write

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Poignant yet a beautiful message to aware people, while reading your story one can feel how beautiful and pure soul you are. Never change your my dear and life always teach us a new lesson every day...
Keep on writing your gifted story teller...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Truly sad story I some what know how you must of felt but cheers for life as long and hope you feel better

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2014
Last Updated on February 26, 2014
Tags: internet, fake, lies, hurt, destroy, pain, trick

Author

Kat
Kat

Las Vegas, NV



About
I am a college student studying psychology. I write in my free time and hope to one day have a published work. more..

Writing
Your Life's Story Your Life's Story

A Story by Kat


No escape No escape

A Poem by Kat