preface

preface

A Chapter by katy83
"

The war is finally over. Sarah is dead. But everything you thought you knew about this war, was actually a lie. This is the truth. This is Sarah's story.

"

Preface

For: Global News

Status: Urgent Attention

Note: It's her Max, it's really her! The scoop we've been waiting for. I better get a nice juicy bonus when this hits the headlines. Gary.

 

This is for those who survived the final battle, to who I am truly sorry, for everything I have done.

For the majority, I know I need no introduction. But for the remote few who went into exile before the war began, and by some miracle haven't learned of my name, I’m the infamous Sarah Montgomery, and if you are reading this it can only mean one thing; that I'm already dead.

This is my confession, for lack of a better word. I know it won't change anything, but for all you've lost, you have a right to know what really happened. For all my wrongdoings I have made the ultimate sacrifice. With my blood I have paid my dues and sadly if all went according to plan, Darius has too.

With our deaths the war will finally be over. The time to grieve for lost loved ones can now begin. You are free to go about your lives without living in fear of me. For what am I to you now but dust on the wind and a bad memory? I hope in your hearts that my death will act as some degree of solace for your grief.

Forgive me, but I simply didn't understand in the beginning that I could be capable of such monstrosity. I naively walked my path, selfishly thinking that my actions would have absolutely no consequence. But I was wrong. I see that now.

Blame me if you must, but soon you will know the truth, whether you chose to believe it, is entirely up to you. I'm not trying to argue my innocence or deny my guilt. After all, I had my part to play in the demise of the human race. However in my defence, this conclusion was inevitable. Destiny sealed my fate and the Reaper will welcome me to my untimely end within the coming hours.

If there is an afterlife I will, for the rest of my perpetual existence, forever carry the stain of blood on my hands. No one despises me more than myself, and if you hate me then so be it. Your hatred for me is just. But know this; I too have suffered unimaginable hardship and loss at the hands of the one's you hail as saints. I'm not the only party responsible for the tragedy that unfolded here. The truth has been concealed to protect the guilty, hidden behind the misconception of Justice. It's easier to believe those who confess their innocence behind the labelled delusion of authority than those who are forced to fight openly for their freedom. The one's you trust, their hands are far bloodier than mine. But there is one whose malevolence is unparalleled to either me, Darius, or the governing powers that be.

You will never know the full extent of his influence and control, which is incredible, brilliant of course, genius even, but unimaginable to say the least. I only realised the full scope of his deception when it was all too late. That’s how he works, the puppet-master. It's his game and I am just the Queen piece on his chessboard, never the player like I had so wrongly presumed. And what part did you have to play in all this mayhem and madness? Well unfortunately in every good chess game, there must of course, be pawns. But enough about him for now, I am jumping ahead of myself. After all, he wasn't the one who tempted me to enter through the dark veil into a world beyond belief; a place where the unimaginable is reality, where magic dwells and demons really do exist.

Just like you, I too was once innocent. But that naivety changed the moment I dared hope for more than the simple existence I knew. Have you ever heard of the saying, 'be careful what you wish for?'  Well, I made a wish once, asking for an end to my loneliness and I received just that, the exception being that it came at a cost. Doesn't everything?

I was good once, before all of this. A girl lost, growing up lonely and in desperate need of love. Was it any wonder I found it in the wrong place?

My eyes were finally open and for the first time I could see through the smokescreen of deception. Behind the glossy façade is a deceiving underworld of unimaginable evil and deplorable truths. There are many parties involved with keeping this wheel of dishonesty well oiled. Discovering the 'true' reality is what ultimately led me down the path of darkness to my impending demise, but has just as equally set me free. I discovered that no one is innocent, inadvertently not even you.

I don't blame Darius for the inconceivable task he must shortly perform. By his hand I will exit this world and welcome the hereafter, much like a long-awaited reunion with an old friend. This decision is mine alone and I've seen to it that he simply won't have a choice in the matter. My death is part of the bigger picture. Before we even said hello, we was destined to say goodbye. I know that now. I'm not scared to depart this life, however, I do so with a heavy heart, remorseful of all the anguish I've caused you and I cordially accept my planned assassination, respectfully.   

I still remember the first moment I laid eyes on Darius De'Valie - the man who resembles a God. My eyes had never seen such a brilliant sight; Tall with dense dark hair and full sensual lips that were made for kissing passionately. He has those rich, dusky eyes that demand total attention and within the depths of his commanding stare he holds the ability to bring even the Greatest of Kings to their knees. His chiselled facial features appear to have been carved by Michelangelo himself, which compliments his well sculpted, slender body, projecting nothing less than absolute perfection. Just the sight of such a creature would make any woman tingle with a fiery desire to be touched by him. His effect on me was infinitely undeniable. He took my breath away at first sight and has held my heart captive and slave to his will ever since. I'm drawn to his internal magnetic pull like a child is to candy. His touch still sends quivers down my spine and when he kisses me my feet leave the ground and it's almost as though I'm floating on air, lured by his exquisite charm. When I'm with him the whole world around me disappears and nothing outside of our caress exists. Right from the beginning I helplessly handed him my heart and soul. I have always been his…as he too, is mine.  

It's more than passion, exceeds that of a crush and on a higher level than love -                What we share is beautiful…  

I know what you’re thinking. You're angry at how I can defend his actions. Come sunrise he will prematurely end my life and no doubt those of others. I must be clinically insane to cast him as the hero when he’s nothing more than a stone cold killer who ruthlessly takes lives! You are right to fear him, for in his element he is the King of predators. At his greatest, he could end your life easily without so much as a flutter of an eyelid.

Although I can understand the hostility you have towards him, I simply can't agree. I'm a big girl. I knew the risks I was taking associating with a man like him. Perhaps I should have left earlier when I discovered the truth about who he really was? Maybe he should have had the courtesy to walk away - and stay away? Believe me when I say…it's not like we both didn't consider the alternative at some point during our star-crossed romance. Though to tell you the truth, I don’t think either of us ever really had a choice.  

I know how delusional I must sound. But try and put yourself in my shoes. When you know beyond all reasonable doubt what your future holds. Your untimely end is inevitable and your enemies hold the upper hand. You've lived long enough to witness many good friends perish and there is little promise for the few that remain. Yet beyond all the carnage and catastrophe there is a small ounce of hope. You have the power to choose how this story will end. You can either; surrender yourself willingly to your enemy and hand them their momentous victory on a platter, or you can be brave and sacrifice yourself to protect those who are powerless to fight for themselves against tyrants who hold no value for human life. The only sad exception to this is that you will go down in history as the ultimate villain and the final bloody deed must be performed by the hand of the one that loves you most. For me, there really is no comparison. I happily choose Darius's sweet kiss of death, knowing that I have truly given everything to save the human race from total annihilation.  

Our romance is one that people only dream of and a blessed few will ever experience. It is a love story that will endure throughout the ages, long after all who have inherited this era has perished. Time will remember us, as I shall love him also, eternally and beyond earthly existence.

I made this decision to document my story in the hope that truth will prevail. I expect that all the media coverage following my death has exposed a very different tale, condemning both Darius and me as the enemy. But in all honesty, we were only trying to help.

Maybe in time people will come to understand this, but until such a day, I humbly accept full responsibility for the devastation that ensued as a result. After all, I had the opportunity to kill Darius long ago and put an end to all this bloodshed but I didn't - I couldn't. For all the evil deeds he's done in his past, he is still the love of my life and the very meaning for my existence. How can I deny his love when we are both lost souls, searching for salvation from our loneliness? We found each other. We saved each other. Again, I am truly sorry for everything, from the bottom of my heart.

Come daybreak this madness will finally meet its end. There is nothing more I can give you now than my life for peace and a promise that I will fight until my very last breath to make things right again. I only pray there will be survivors to read this. Without restraint or motive, I am about to expose the dark secrets that brought the entire world to its knees. That is, if you are willing to listen…

Seeking ultimate power is the greatest immorality known to man. If there is only one sound piece of advice I can leave you with, it's to fight against the same authority that pretends to preserve your freedom through governed rule. The best I can hope for from my confession is that it will prevent such devastation from reoccurring. But if history should repeat, which it so frequently does, at least I know the innocent shall be better prepared next time.

The only sound piece of advice I can give to you now if such a day comes is this; If you should ever happen to meet a vampire like Darius, regardless of how alluring or empathetic they may be towards you, I implore you to run and never look back. I’m giving you the chance I never had. If you are smart, you will heed my warning: Pay close attention to my words as my story could one day save your life!

 



© 2014 katy83


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Don't use her name until much, much later.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Excellent preface, loved it.
Certainly grabbed my attention.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 20, 2014
Last Updated on May 20, 2014


Author

katy83
katy83

Australia



About
I am a student at Murdoch University, doing sustainability as my major and policy writing as my minor. I am a single mum of two, and I also work nights in a supermarket. I've always had a love of wr.. more..

Writing