This Death of Mine

This Death of Mine

A Story by Kayls
"

A short story, detailing, Death, Romance and War.

"

For many a time

I have been half in love with easeful Death

-John Keats

 

 

I welcome Death. Or rather, Death welcomes me. I have been evading Death for a long time.

My Death has been one step behind me my entire life.  An omnipresent being. Naturally, I have lost my fear of Death, even grown to love it. Death is my inevitable, irrevocable fate.

 

 I lived in difficult times; we were a nation at war with itself. The benevolent forces were struggling against the growing Darkness. I was enlisted in the army by my father. I was to make him proud, bring honour to the family name; I was to bring money to my poverty stricken family. It was soon discovered that I was a prodigious fighter. My rapid mastery of the sword and bow soon reached the ears of the army general. After just three months as a lowly soldier I was promoted to sergeant. It was then discovered that I was a loyal fighter, a good leader and a proficient warrior. A further promotion placed me in an elite fighting squad. This was where I made my enemies.

 

Fate must have placed me on these plains. Fate must have placed me next to my oldest enemy. Only fate would have sown such irony to place us here on the same date as our last meeting. Only fate would have such irony to make two enemies two soul mates.

Aaron used to be one of us; one of the Light. We fought alongside one another, dined together, laughed together, loved each other. For two years I lived in a dream. We were meant for each other. Then my carefully world was shattered when he turned to the Dark side. Since then we have met each other only once. We nearly killed each other on that occasion.

 

Now I stand here facing him in my armour. My sword had just been about to strike him when our eyes met. We stand staring at each other for what seems like ages. Around us the battle rages on. The guttural “boom” of the war drum beats in time with the droplets of blood falling from the tip of sword. The sharp scent of blood fills my nostrils with its metallic sting. The ground is a slick scarlet rug beneath me. The cries of dying men and the ring of clashing swords fade away with one word. “Evolette.” I can’t control myself; I had never been able to resist his voice. I fling my entire being against him and he embraces me with a new passion. A few moments of utter bliss; then a stabbing pain in my heart. I’m not surprised; after three long years of loneliness my heart must be overjoyed to have its companion back. But no, that was not the reason for my aching heart.

 

Aaron had always carried his knife with him. It had been his father’s dying wish that his only son inherited the blade. Now Aaron’s precious heirloom is wedged between my ribs. Its twisted blade reflecting his soul. My heart’s agony is not because of reunion; its pain is caused by the piece of polished steel being driven deep into its structure. I fall to my knees, my blood mixing with my comrades beneath me. I see a cold hatred in his eyes as I look up. A malevolent look I had never dreamed to be possible. A cruel grin passes across his lips. The world is flickering around me. The pain is unimaginable. I am cold, and his icy stare is not making it easier. I am losing consciousness. But just before I pass out, I see a glimmer of regret in his green eyes.

 

My Death stands there, his arms open wide. I relent; the last infinitesimal piece of my living soul releases my body. It is an instantaneous relief. I no longer feel any pain. Death is easy. I watch as my death and I soar over the land. This is it; I am finally free, finally going home. I am Dead.

© 2010 Kayls


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"killed eachother" space
"I am loosing consciousness" 'losing'
"...my living soul releases by body." needs correcting.

Dark and gritty, I like it! Some nice detailing, and you developed some emotion in a relatively short amount of time. Actually, this feels almost like an overview of a much longer tale. I think you could use this as the framework to build an awesome story that details the protagonist's life. Nice work.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very vivid and dark. Well done with this piece. I love how it ends. 'Death is easy.' Great line. I look forward to reading more from you. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Thanks Franklin, i actually had a corrected copy that had been edited my my english teacher, but I couldn't remember which one it was.
Thanks for your reviews! =)

Posted 13 Years Ago


"killed eachother" space
"I am loosing consciousness" 'losing'
"...my living soul releases by body." needs correcting.

Dark and gritty, I like it! Some nice detailing, and you developed some emotion in a relatively short amount of time. Actually, this feels almost like an overview of a much longer tale. I think you could use this as the framework to build an awesome story that details the protagonist's life. Nice work.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I really love the emotion and realistic of this writing. Great job and keep writing! ;)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

462 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 22, 2010
Last Updated on August 23, 2010
Tags: Love, War, Death
Previous Versions