Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by KLeaBel
"

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!! Any and all suggestions and critiques are welcomed gladly!

"

            I didn’t know how long I had slept, but the sun was beginning to go down when I rose, I emerged from my warm tent to see the sky painted with pastel orange and pink. The air was crisp and the camp was alive. I walked towards the edge of the camp, not meeting the skeptical glares that followed me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a shock of red. I felt her glare burn a hole into my back and I walked into the tree line.

            I walked for a few minutes until I found a spot that looked like it hadn’t been touched by humans yet. Closing my eyes, I sat and breathed in the familiar scent of safety. When I opened them again, I saw a movement in the trees. I whipped my head, my hand instinctively going to the dagger at my waist, only to see a lone deer. It looked young, and lost as it foraged for food. It didn’t look old enough to be without its parents yet.

            That thought sent a wave of grief tumbling through me. Images of my parents flooded my vision. Their smiles, their laughs, my mom stroking my hair. Them dancing together in the living room while I watched from the stairwell. Their kisses and kind words. Their immense care for the village and everyone in it. Their inner burn to do what was right. Their faces in the snow, turning it deep red too quickly. My father’s broken hearted scream as my mother’s body fell limp next to him. My mother’s plea through gritted teeth. “Don’t you dare, Jon.” Don’t you dare give me up. Don’t tell them where to find me. Even in her last moments, protecting me was her only though. And then, her fierce final words “I will always love you.” She didn’t even sound terrified, though I knew she must have been. That was how my parents were. The moment that my dad screamed was one of the few times I had seen his collected composure fail him.

            It was probably for the better. If they had lived, they would have to face that their village had not. Harrison’s words rang through my head no survivors. How had this happened? And for what, to find me? How was I so important, that they killed the entire sector and my parents for not giving up my location? I knew then that their deaths, my parents, my friends, the elderly, and the children were all on my shoulders alone. If I hadn’t gone to the forest and delayed myself for so long, the soldiers could have taken me and maybe everyone would still be alive. Why didn’t my parents just give me up? They could have just gotten me later. Saved me, and saved everyone.

            My head fell into my hands and the sobs that came shook me to my core. They were all gone because of me. I saw my parents cold, lifeless bodies again in my mind and heard my dad’s screams along with my own. I would never see them again. Through my life, death had never been a stranger. I had known loss. My parents being the leaders, we grieved loss of every soldier or citizen who died of injury or illness. My grandparents had passed when I was about 7. I had lost a childhood friend when I was 12. All of those losses, all of those times that I felt the pangs of tragedy hit my heart, combined could not compare to what I was feeling at this moment. This grief penetrated past my heart and shook my soul.

            I didn’t know how long I cried. It had grown pitch black and cold. Once the pain ebbed, I felt a hollow nothing. I sat in the snow, feeling my back supported by the solid strength of a tree, and felt numb.

Finally, I got up and turned to make my way back to camp when I saw a figure heading towards me. The figure was moving with obvious intent right towards me. I pressed myself to the side of the tree and when the figure came close enough I grabbed him and pinned him against the tree right where I had been standing moments before. He let out a surprised scream and a grunt as his body hit the tree.

            “Woah! It’s okay! It’s okay, I’m not here to hurt you. I’m from the camp!”

            I eased off a little. “What are you doing out here?”

            “I could ask you the same. I saw you head out here hours ago and never saw you come back. I followed your tracks. I just wanted to make sure you were alright.” I could make out some of his features in the dark. Long, sharp nose and eyes widened in innocence. I let him go and he rubbed his chest defensively. “I’m Jonas. You’re… Juliet, right?” Jonas extended a hand towards me.

            “Uh, yeah.” I grasped his hand. “I was just heading back, so thanks for checking on me.” I brushed past him and started walking to the camp.

            “Well, wait. We’re both going to the same place. We can walk together.”

            “I don’t need protecting.”

            “Okay well sorry then. You were just gone for like four hours.”

            “How do you know that? Watching me?”

            “I watch everyone.” He paused. “Okay, that sounded weird. I just mean it’s my job. I help watch the perimeter. Make sure there’s no trouble.” He sounded proud.

            “Hm.” Was all I could manage in response. We walked back to the camp in silence. There was a fire going strong when we approached the edge of camp, and it looked like everyone had retreated to their tents against the cold.

            “Uh.” Jonas started uneasily as I walked past the fire towards my tent. I stopped and turned around. By the glow of the fire, I could make out the rest of his features clearly. He was tall and slim, and had a long sharp nose as I had seen. His hair was shaggy and tousled. His alabaster skin was soft against the light of the fire, and I could tell his eye were brown because of how dark the night made them. I looked him up and down. He was tall and slim, but all muscle. He looked like the soldiers from Nydollea. Something about his face felt too familiar. He cleared his throat. “Margie left some food here for you when she heard you were awake, if you’re hungry or whatever.”

            “Oh. Yeah okay, I should probably eat.” My stomach rumbled in agreement. I sat on one of the logs by the fire and took my plate from Jonas with a smile of gratitude.

            “Um, I could like… stay. If you want company…” He trailed off as our eyes locked. He ran a hand through his hair awkwardly and I patted the log next to me. He seemed to be one of the few people who didn’t suspect me of something. We sat in an awkward silence for a while I ate, both staring into the fire.

            That was when I was hit with flashbacks. A little boy, with jet black hair, quietly observing the happenings around him. Shy and withdrawn, he had hardly any friends and no one really noticed when he was around. He was an observer, not a participant. Then, the same boy grown up, being sworn into the army. The Nydollean army. He had dark eyes and alabaster skin…

            I inhaled sharply and looked at the boy next to be. Could it be? Could he possibly be from my village? From my army? I heard Harrison’s voice in my head again there were no survivors. So it couldn’t be possible then. Jonas’s eyes met mine for a moment, and in that moment I saw my home. I looked away quickly and diverted my attention to the flames again. How could I believe Harrison? How could he even know so much information about Nydollea so soon? Things I hadn’t even known yet. There was no way word had spread so fast… But how could this boy be from home and not recognize me? My face was known just as well as my parent’s in out sector. I cast another sidelong look at Jonas. His face looked as though he were just as preoccupied with his thoughts as I was. I felt as though I knew nothing, and I never would again. I was doomed to a life of uncertainty.

            Tears began to try to fight their way to the surface, and I stood abruptly. “I’m going to bed.” I turned and retreated to my tent before Jonas could say any more, though I heard him mumble something under his breath.

            Bursting through my tent, I halted and let out a small noise of surprise. Harrison was there, sitting in the arm chair that I hadn’t notice before. “What are you doing here?”

            “Waiting for you.”
            “Clearly.” I eyed him carefully, I felt my brows knit together in suspicion. “Why are you in my tent though? How long have you even been in here?”

            “Oh just a couple of minutes.”

            “That’s not possible. I was just sitting out at the fire for a least a half an hour. I would have seen you come in here if it were just a couple of minutes ago.”

            Harrison raised his hands in surrender and smiled widely. “Alright, alright. You caught me. Margie told me you went into the forest. I wanted to check on you and see how you were feeling, but she didn’t want me to go after you. So after supper I came in here to wait so I wouldn’t miss you before you went to sleep.” The knot in my stomach didn’t loosen.

            “Okay well you found me. I’m fine. You can go now, I’m tired.” He stared at me with a blank look on his face, but didn’t make any effort to move. “Seriously. Thanks for the concern, but I just want to rest.”

            “Okay.” He stood slowly. “I was just hoping we could get to know each other better…” He trailed off as he closed the distance between us. I stepped to the side so that we had now switched positions. “What’s the matter? You don’t have to be afraid of me. Like I said, if I meant you harm it would have happened already.”

            “Yeah, I know that. I’m not afraid of you. Trust me. I just… need some space right now. I need to work through some things on my own before I decide who I can trust, and where I should go.”

            “Go? You aren’t going anywhere.” I met his eyes as he said this. There was something hard behind the deep emerald color. Something, angry. As before, it flashed and was gone. “I mean, why would you? You’re safe here. It’s not safe out there alone.”

            “Yeah… well like I said, I just need my rest right now.” He watched me for a moment more before sighing in defeat.

            “Alright. Well if you need someone to talk to, you know where to find me. Night.” His form disappeared through the tent door and I eased myself onto the bed, pulling the heavy quilt up over my face and closing my eyes. I willed all thoughts and uneasiness away and waited for sleep to take me somewhere peaceful.

            The next couple of days were uneventful. I walked around alone, a hollowed shell feeling nothing but numb. I kept to myself and ignored the prying looks and hushed whispers. I avoided Harrison and Jonas, although I caught them watching me on occasion. Harrison looked as if he was studying me, and Jonas looked pained as if he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. I wondered what I must look like to them. Margie also studied me with a soft, kind expression on her worn face. Every time I met her eyes, I felt as if she knew more than anyone thought she did.

            It was my fourth day in the camp when the attacks set in. I was in the forest again, looking for any sort of edible berries this time. It was a cold and cloudy day, with a slight breeze that held the promise of a forthcoming storm. The crisp smell of snow wrapped around me as the breeze tickled my hair. I came around into a small clearing, and froze. The breeze picked up and it carried the sound of laughter towards me. Laughter so familiar that it pained me. High and happy, as if she had not a care in the world. A laugh so contagious, it couldn’t help but infect everyone around. My mother’s laugh. I shook my head, knowing that this wasn’t possible. Then I heard it again with the next breeze. I started walking slowly in the direction from which I thought the sound had come, all my senses heightened as I listened. A stronger wind came and brought with it a heart shattering scream of a man who had just lost his wife. I wanted to run, but I couldn’t make my feet move. Every new gust of wind brought with it a new sound, or the smell of smoke and death and blood. I felt a sob burst through me as the wind brought my mother’s laugh to my ears again, and I sank to my knees. I curled up, trying to force myself into a ball and covering my ears, willing the noises to stop.

            “Juliet?” The voice was quiet and distant.

            My eyes flew open “Mom?”

            “Juliet, what are you doing?” I sat up, looking around wildly. The voice had been hers, I was sure of it.

Looking up, I saw her face. Clear as the sunshine. Porcelain skin, full lips, and eyes so blue it was like looking into the clearest part of the ocean. She smiled and tilted her head, causing her raven black hair to spill over her shoulder in delicate waves. That was when I felt hands on my shoulders. “Mom.” I whispered.

            With a sharp jolt, my vision came into focus and I saw a shock of red where moments ago my mother had been. “Juliet look at me.” I felt another sharp shake, and that was when the sobs came again.

            “She was here. She was just here again.” I whispered through my sobs.

            Veronica looked perplexed and worried, and I think for the first time not suspicious. I felt her pull me to my feet, and instincts must have taken over and allowed me to walk. The sobs were still ripping through me and Veronica had to support me so I wouldn’t collapse. I felt her lay me down, and felt the weight of something being pulled over my body, and then everything went dark and there was a ringing in my ears, and my body felt prickly and hot, and then nothing.

            My eyes flew open and I felt a wave of panic wash over me. I flung myself up, but was instantly eased back into the bed.

            “Hush now, it’s alright child. You’re safe.” Margie’s hands, soft as butterfly wings but with the authority of a lion, pushed my shoulders back until I was lying down again.

            “What happened? Where am I?” My tongue felt dry and heavy in my mouth, making it hard to push the words out.

            “You… well you had what I can only describe as a grief induced panic attack. Veronica found you in the woods, lying in the snow crying for you mother. Once she got you back here, you fell unconscious. She came and got me and we’ve watched you for about an hour. How are you feeling?” The memories slowly came back to me with her voice, and my head felt like it had been split in two.

            “My head hurts terribly.”

            “Yes. Well that will subside soon. Here’s a cool cloth. Lie that across your forehead and rest. You’re safe here, don’t you worry yourself at all, Magdalena.”

            My heart skipped a beat and I felt my eyes grow wide with shock. Before I could recover enough to respond, Margie glided out of the tent and Veronica came in, hauling a bucket of steaming water. She looked at me from the doorway, shifting her weight uncomfortably from foot to foot.

            “Hey…”

            “Veronica. Thank you for your kindness. I’ll get out of your bed and go to my own.” I said, trying once again to sit up. She was pushing me back before I had even noticed that she had moved.

            “No, no, no. It’s okay. You just rest. We set up a cot for me that I can use until you’re better. It should only be a couple of hours. That’s how it always was for me.” Her mouth snapped shut and he face flushed with embarrassment. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to say that out loud.”

            “That’s alright. What do you mean, how it was for you?”

            She sighed and ran a hand through her hair before sitting in her armchair facing me. She watched me for a couple of minutes as if trying to decide whether or not she could tell me. She shrugged her shoulders and drew in a breath,

            “I lost my family too.” She began, not meeting my eyes. “I came here about a year ago. One of the patrol boys found me wandering nearby, confused and delirious. Looking for my parents, just like you. Margie took me in and helped me. The attacks happened every so often, and sometimes they still do. I’ve learned how to control them before they get so bad. You saw her right?”

            “Saw who?” My voice was hoarse.

            “Your mom. Right in front of you, touching you, smiling. It was like she was right there, but you knew that was impossible…” She trailed off and sat in silence, staring straight ahead. With a small shake of her head, she regained her composure.

            “Anyways, you and I have more in common than I thought. But I have to be honest with you here, I don’t trust Harrison as far as I can throw him. Because of that, I can’t trust you fully… yet.”
            I nodded. “I understand how it must look, but…”

            “It’s okay, Juliet. You don’t have to explain yourself. I know you’re not together, and like I said. Yet. I’ll trust you in time.” She smiled a small smile and squeezed my hand gently, standing and leaving the tent as briskly as she had entered.

            I closed my eyes and exhaled deeply, begging my head to stop throbbing, if only for a second. I heard the tent doors flap open, but I didn’t open my eyes. I didn’t want to talk anymore. I just wanted to lie still and see nothing but darkness.

            I must have fallen asleep at some point, because I woke up to the camp being dark and Veronica’s sleeping figure on the cot that had been set up in the corner. My head no longer ached and my limbs no longer felt like weights. I sat slowly and hung my feet over the bed. No dizziness, so that was a good sign. My stomach grumbled and I pushed myself to my feet, slipping on my shoes and exiting the tent as soundlessly as I could. The fire was still going, and Jonas was sitting next to it. He sprang to his feet when he saw me.

            “Juliet! You’re up.” He smiled a big smile that showed all of his teeth. “I tried to come see you… but you were sleeping. Uh, Margie left you a plate again.” He turned and picked up the plate, extending it to me.

            “Thank you.” I said, taking it gently and sitting on one of the logs. Jonas sat next to me cautiously. We were silent again, but this time I could sense the uneasiness radiating off of Jonas. He had something he desperately wanted to say.

            With a sharp inhale, he stated “My name is Jonas.”

            “I know that.” I smiled.

            “No, you’ve just… you’ve got to let me say this before I change my mind again. My name is Jonas Grant.” He turned to face me. Grant. That name was definitely familiar. I stopped eating and locked eyes with him. “And you’re Magdalena Romanov. Daughter of Ida and Jon, heir to the sector of Nydallea. I fought in their army. I’m not surprised that you don’t recognize me, I didn’t hold a high position or anything. I was just a soldier. But, I was there…”

            “But, how? I heard… I heard that there were no survivors.” My voice was shaking as badly as my hands, and I clasped them together in my lap.

            “As far as I know, I was the only one. I was knocked unconscious during the attack, and didn’t come to until well after. They must’ve thought me dead. Magdalena, you have to understand. I fought, I tried…” He trailed off. I could hear the pain and tears in his voice.

            “How can I believe you? I only just met you.”

            “I could see it in your eyes. You recognized me.”

            “It’s going to take more than that.”

            “I’ll speak the soldier’s oath.” I froze. The Nydollea soldier’s oath was one that no one but a soldier could know. It was spoken once at their inauguration, and then never again. He locked eyes with me and held my gaze. “Luro tibi gladium meum. Nydollea umbracculum diei magni ad honorem. Iuro ego vitam honrario munere populum meum iurare defendere religuis diebus meis. Hinc est, miles ero.” I whispered the last line with him.

            “You can’t tell anyone you know me. Did you tell Margie?”

            “I haven’t told anyone, and I won’t.”

            “Margie knows. She… she called me Magdalena earlier. Jonas, I am so happy you made it out.”

            He smiled and looked away from me. “I couldn’t believe it when I saw you… you realize that because of the oath, I’m sworn to protect you from all harm.”

            I smiled at him, though he still wasn’t looking at me. Tears welled in my eyes. “How lucky I am, then.” I whispered. In all of the chaos and uncertainty, I had found a little piece of home to hold on to. We fell into an easy silence, warmed by the fire. The flames had died low, and we had not spoken another word, when I rose to go to my tent.

            “Goodnight, Juliet.” Jonas smiled at me.

            “Goodnight to you, Jonas.” I returned the smile and retreated to my bed.

            Not a minute later, Jonas poked his head through the flaps.

            “Juliet.” He whispered. I turned, slightly startled. “I have to tell you,” He started, coming fully into my tent. “Harrison is not to be trusted. I don’t know why… but I just have a very uneasy feeling. I have to urge you to be careful.”     

            I nodded. He smiled and left the tent again. What was it about Harrison that made people so uneasy? He had saved my life after all. I sighed and let my hair out of its braid, and flopped onto my bed. I felt a little lighter now than I had, though there was still so much to sort out before things were clear again.

****

            I had been at the camp for two and a half weeks before Harrison approached me. I had retreated to the forest, as I did incredibly often here. I liked being alone with my thoughts. Every day, I felt like I was getting a little stronger. I hadn’t even come close to accepting my parent’s death, but I was growing accustom to the pain and learning how to live despite the numbness. On one of my treks I stumbled upon a little babbling stream, and this had become my spot. The sound of the water trickling over the rocks in a hurry to join the river calmed me and helped me sort through my thoughts and worries.

            I was sitting there, my head comfortably empty. I hadn’t noticed his footsteps until he cleared his throat behind me. I jumped and turned, hand flying to my heart when I saw Harrison standing there nervously.

            “Jesus. You scared me half to death.” I laughed and he flashed me an easy smile.

            “I’m glad it was only half. I don’t know how I would’ve responded if you just died.” The sound of our laughs intertwined. “Do you mind if I join you?”

            I nodded and gestured to the spot next to me, welcoming him into my sanctuary.

            “I couldn’t help but notice you go off on your own a lot. Is this where you come?”

            “Yeah… it’s calming. I like being alone with my thoughts sometimes. And the forest has always given me a calming feeling.”

            “I see. It is nice out here. Peaceful.”
            “It helps me forget about what’s going on outside of the trees sometimes.”

            “I’m sorry I intruded. I just… I wanted to talk. I wanted to give you your space, and I kept hoping you would be ready and come to me. But, I just…. I don’t know. I know what people say about me here. I know you’re getting close to Veronica and Jonas, and let’s face it, they aren’t my biggest fans. I couldn’t stand the thought of you walking around thinking something awful about me that wasn’t true. They don’t know me.”

            I held my hand up to stop him. “It’s okay, Harrison. I don’t think anything bad of you. I’m not one to make snap judgments based on what other people think. I like to find out for myself. I’m sorry I’ve been avoidant, I just… I had somethings I needed to sort out for myself.”

            “I know. I know how much you’ve been through.” He was quiet for a moment, contemplating his next words carefully. “I would like to know more. I understand though that you don’t want to just open up to a stranger.” He was sort of squinting while he concentrated on the water, as if what he was saying was very difficult. “I don’t like opening up to people. But, I would. I mean I will, if you want. I want to get to know each other. I don’t want to be just the guy who saved your life.”

            “I’d like that.” He met my gaze, sight shock in his eyes. He thought I would shut him down. Against the snow, his eyes were the brightest green I had seen. His signature easy, cooked grin broke out and I had to look away so I didn’t look like a freak for staring.

            “I feel like we need to just forget the first nights we met, and just start with a clean slate. A lot was said that probably needs some back story first.”

            “I agree entirely.”

            “Well, in that case, I’m Harrison Heathfordshire. Formerly Aronian, current rebel.”

            I hesitated for a moment, knowing that I couldn’t give him the entire honesty that he wanted to give to me. “I’m Juliet Frank, formerly Aboresian and current rebel too, I think.”

            “My family… we were close. I was an only child.” He began, smiling at the memory he was picturing. “I had a sister, a younger one. She passed when she was only a couple of months old of sickness. After that, my parents sort of clung to me. I was their only child now, and I think it made them realize how important we were to them. My father made furniture, and my mother quilted. I think every house in the sector had one of her quilts. They were kind hearted, loving. Happy.” The smile on his face faded, all of his features turning shadowy. “There was one man, a drunk. He always had it out for my family. He stayed with us for a while when I was a child. I never liked him, he was horrible and vulgar. He began stealing from us to get more booze. My parents found out and kicked him out. He swore they would pay…”
            “Harrison.” I interrupted. His eyes flicked to mine, deep green like the evergreens surrounding us. “You don’t have to tell me more. I remember the rest.” He nodded looking away, and we sat in awkward silence as he replayed the scene in his head.

            “I don’t think less of you or anything like that, for responding the way you did.” He studied my face and I knew I had made an error. I was going to have to elaborate now. “Living in Aboresia… well it was horrible as I’m sure you’ve heard. Everyone knows of how the king treats people.” I felt my voice tense in disgust. I took a deep breath, conjuring up my lie. “My parents were a lot like yours. I was an only child. My mother was a seamstress and my father was a soldier. We knew about the slave raids, but we had gotten lucky. When they came to our neighborhood, my father and I were getting fire wood from our stack. He saw the soldiers coming and instructed me to hide and run as soon as I could.” I had a flash of the branches of the bush, and my parents through them. “The soldiers took my parents.” The flashes of silver, my throat tightened. “I ran, but there was one soldier who was still in the house. They pursued me into the woods.” I could hear my breathing echoing in my ears again. I cleared my throat and closed my eyes. I knew I wasn’t there anymore. I heard Veronica’s voice repeating this fact over and over.

            I could feel him watching me, his eyes carefully scanning my face and taking it all in. I opened my eyes only to lock with his again. His face was only inches away from mine. “I meant what I said by the fire. You don’t have to face it alone.” He held my gaze and I felt my heart beat quicken. He pulled back and smiled again. “Neither of us do now.” I tried to catch my breath.

            “We should probably head back. It’s getting dark, and dinner will be ready soon.” I stood, brushing the dirt from the rock I had been sitting on from my pants. Harrison followed my lead and we made small talk on the way back to camp.

            When we came through the tree line, Jonas and Veronica both gave me the same look; concern? Worry? Anger? I couldn’t decipher it, but it wasn’t a very good look. Harrison and I parted ways and I got my plate before finding a place on the log between the two of them.

            “Have a nice chat?” Veronica sounded angry.

            “You shouldn’t be in the forest alone with him.” Jonas glared into the flames of the fire that had just been started.

            I shook my head as I swallowed my mouthful of potatoes. “We were just talking. He saved my life once. I want to get to know him before I jump to conclusions.” None of us talked after that. I think they knew I was right, though they definitely didn’t approve. After a few minutes, Jonas left to start his patrol and Veronica were left by the fire.

            “How have the attacks been?” Her voice sounded softer this time.

            “Better I think. I’m getting better at stopping them before I can’t handle them.”

            “That’s good. Harrison is… pretty… handsome.” The words sounded like they would make her gag. I laughed.

            “You don’t have to pretend to like him.”

            “Oh thank god.” She let out a sigh of relief. We both laughed.

            “My parents were taken by the soldiers to be slaves too. They came, and my parents fought. The soldiers murdered them right in front of me and took me without any time in between. My little sister and I both. We were maids for almost a year. My little sister got caught stealing bread. They killed her in front of me too. Hung her and made me watch so I knew the punishment. A member of the sector saw what happened. He bought me, I don’t know how he managed it, but he did. As soon as I was at his house, he set me free and I ran and never looked back. That’s where my attacks come from.”

            I felt my heart ache in my chest. For her pain, and for mine, and for the pain of the fact that the pain she thought we had in common was false. “Oh, Veronica.”

            “Hey, don’t do that. I don’t want your pity. I just wanted to make sure that you knew someone here understood, and that I’m living proof that you can survive this. You’re strong. Hell, you may even be stronger than me.” She smiled warmly at me. “I think all this seriousness calls for a drink!” I eyed her mischievously as she stood and retrieved a bottle of wine from her tent. “A gift to us from Margie.”

            “Oh my god!”

            We spent the next couple of hours passing the bottle back and forth and giggling like school girls. For the first time, my heart didn’t ache with emptiness. The alcohol warmed away the cold I felt in my soul. I felt light, and happy. Veronica’s laugh was contagious. We must have been quite a sight for anyone around.

            The air split and there was a noise of something splitting through the air. I felt a burning sting on my ear, and when I pulled my hand away it was stained with red. “What the-”

            “Duck!” Jonas came out of nowhere and tackled Veronica and I off the log onto the ground as another arrow whizzed past. “ABORESIA!” Jonas began screaming over and over. All of the sudden everything was total chaos.

            Soldiers came charging out of the trees, swords drawn. People came barging out of their tents armed and confused. There was metal clanging on metal and the screams of men and women alike. Veronica had recovered and was up with her spear drawn. I was still in the dirt, catching the breath that had been knocked out of me, when I realized that I only had my dagger which would be of little use against a sword. I began crawling towards the only place I felt safe; the trees. They were close. I just had to stay un-noticed.

            A vice grip grabbed my ankle and then there was a crushing force on my knee. I screamed as the pain shot through my entire leg. I rolled to the side quick enough to dodge the blade that pierced the ground where my head had been only seconds ago. The soldier, red faced and sweating, raised his sword over his head ready to strike. Suddenly, something protruded through his abdomen and he went limp.

            Harrison threw the man to the side and withdrew his sword. “Can you walk?” He was already pulling me to my feet. My knee was dislocated. Using him as support we hobbled away as quickly as we could. We paused only for a second, long enough for Harrison to slash the neck of a soldier advancing on us.

            Safe in the tree line, he picked me up and cradled me like a baby. He began running, my head bumping against his chest. “Where are we going?”

            “The meeting place. It’s set up for times like this. Our main goal in case of an attack is escape as fast as you can, and take out as many people as you can along the way.” He was panting, breathing heavily, but I knew I couldn’t walk fast enough to escape until my knee was back in place, and even then I couldn’t match Harrison’s labored pace.

            The meeting place was in a thick grove of trees. There was a small shack, barely visible in the over growth. We burst through the doors to see Veronica and Margie already there. Harrison laid me on the ground.

            “What happened?” It was Margie’s voice.

            “A soldier dislocated her knee. Could have been shattered but she can put some weight on it so it can’t be. Damn near lost her eye too.”

            “Well, thank goodness it’s just the knee. Now, I’m sorry darling, but this is going to hurt.” Before I could think about what she meant, Harrison’s hand clamped over my mouth and I felt pressure and then another shooting pain through my entire leg and hip. I screamed into Harrison’s hand and then he cradled my head in his lap while I trembled from the pain.

            “You’ll be fine in no time, dear. But you’ll have to go easy on this.” I nodded. Margie was wrapping my knee with a bandage. She was calm and collected, but you could see the worry in her eyes.

            We waited in silence. Slowly people began bursting through the door, usually in groups. Margie busied herself by making rounds and tending to the injured as they arrived, listening tentatively to various updates. I tuned it out, nauseous from the pain in my throbbing knee. Harrison’s face was somewhere else. Somewhere far away. Veronica came and sat next to me, taking my hand in hers.

            “We’re only missing three people, everyone else is back. No one has a sure answer of whether or not they saw them in all the chaos at the camp.”

            “Who?”

            “Marie’s daughter, Felix, and…” She hesitated, biting her lower lip. “Jonas.”



© 2016 KLeaBel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on February 6, 2016
Last Updated on February 6, 2016


Author

KLeaBel
KLeaBel

AZ



About
Hello! My name is Kimberly and I just started writing again after a LONG block. Writing has always been my passion, but I found myself struggling and feeling like everything I wrote felt choppy and a.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by KLeaBel