Philadelphia Takes Dock-6

Philadelphia Takes Dock-6

A Chapter by Kelsey Desmond
"

Chapter Six in "Chic."

"

Reynold wanted to scream out, "No! I hate love! Love killed your mother! And me! I hate it!" but he was too caught up in the moment. Another tear rolled down his cheek. Clara did not see this drop of sorrow, for it started to rain and she had thought it was just the clear water form the sky.

Clara stood up and started to walk off.

"Why are you going this time?"

"To pack."

"For what?"

"You said you were going to war, right? Well, this time, I'm going with you."

And she left it at that. She walked off, not knowing that behind her, her father's heart was racing with more than anything in his life.

---------------------

Reynold boarded the ship several hours before Clara did. He sighed in his cabin and thought of ways to get Clara out of this. None of them suited. He knew Clara too well. She would still board the ship. There was no stoping her.

"Excuse me, Captain?" asked as young ship boy named Philadelphia. He tipped his hat.

"Yes?"

"Philadelphia Ezra McCarthy, at your service, Sir. But you may, if you wish, call me Philly. I would enjoy the pleasure of introducing myself before the ship takes off. I will be helping out in the kitchen during this voyage." Philly held out his hand to Mr. Darlen.

Reynold hesitated to take it, but gradually gained confidence once he did. "Pleasure to make your aquitance, Philly."

"The pleasure is all mine, Sir."

And with that, they unlocked each other's grasp. "Mind my asking, Philadelphia, but how old might you be? Not of military regulation, I presume."

"Oh, but Sir. I am but seventeen. And my date of birth is in but seven days, week. Eighteen would indeed be the age of regulation. You shall agree, Captain?"

"Yes. Yes. Well, then. Carry on."

"Yes, Sir. You know where to find me, if you ever shall need me. In the kitchen with the muck and crud, working my a*s off."

"As should be." With that, they both let out a small, serious chuckle, and Philadelphia headed out the door, only to find Clara standing right there. He saw by her eyes that she was extraordinary. Young, yes. But it was love at first glimsp.

"Yes, yes." He didn't let out his gaze until he was far out of veiw of the captain's corters.

Clara was impressed by his good-looks and handsome charm, as well as he was impressed by the complextion of her face, and the innocence in her voice.

"Who was that, Father?" Clara asked.

"A new broad. Philly, I think is his name. He works in the kitchen. Now, Honey? Are you sure you want to go thorugh with this? I mean, a war ship is dangerous."

"Yes, I am sure. I would rather die on a war ship with you than find out you died on a war ship without me."

Reynold Darlen couold not escape the fact of this. They were such inspirational words. He sighed, and finally decided he could do nothing else. He let her escape the glare that he laid apon her. But instead of running to her cabin or her bed, she ran to the kitchen to see Philadelphia.

"Sorry, Miss. No one is allowed in the kitchen before Supper," annouced a large man with three golden teeth as he saw her try to race into the dining area.

"Bah-bah-but I need to see Philly!"

"Philly's busy..." The tall man leaned in closer so that she could see his crooked yellow teeth and sailer's scar on his right ear. "-cleaning the bathing rooms."

"So where would that be?"

"The men's bathing room."

"And where. Would. That. Be?"

"The men's bathing room is around the corner and down the deck. Back of the kitchen."

Clara smiled, thinking she got something out of him. But as she was about to turn away, she saw Philly with a rag over his shoulder and a wooden bucket in his hand.

"Philly!" Clara jumped.

"Excuse me?" The tall man asked. "Philadelphia is in ta bathing room!" Of course, he was lying.

"Yes. Sorry. Just hopeful thinking, I guess."

"Yes."

"Come in." Philly mouthed, and motioned her to come near him.

She mouthed back, "I can't." Then she pointed to the tall man now facing out to the sea side. "Hewon't let me!"

"I'll take care of that" Then to the tall man, "Excuse me, Mr. Brown?"

"Oh!" The man scanned to deck for Clara, but she was hiding behind the kitchen's door. He seemed releived. So, he stopped the 'Philly is not here' gimmick. "Yes, Philly?"

"Captain Darlen directly told me that he needed you."

"For what?"

"Uh...He said that there was a problem with se.....curity! And the guns! You know how that can be. Right before we take off."

Mr. Brown actually didn't know. Cpt. Darlen had never done this before inMr. Brown's four years aboard this navy ship. "Well, yes. Of course. Who knows less than me?" Then the man strutted off the kitchen grounds and back to the captain's courters.

"Well, then. Miss, it is time to come in,"

Clara came from behind the door. "Clara."

"What? May I beg your parden?"

"Clara. My name. Clara."

"Yes. Sorry, Miss-er, Clara! Clara! It is time to come in." She took his hand, and he lead her into the mucky, dirty kitchen floor. "And here is the fambulous, fancy dining hall." They both shared a laugh. It was not fabulous nor fancy. Not even up to her standerds, but it would be fine wiht Philly there. "Well, then. Nad here is our very, very expensive chef, Chuck."

"Wow," she whispered. "Chuck is so greasy and uncut and...and..."

"Deaf. No need to whisper he can't hear a thing. As long as he doesn't see you..."

Not long after he had said that, Mr. Brown came barging in the door.

"Where is that boy Philly?" He sounded mad. "Embarras me in front of the captain like that!" He muttered under his breath. "Philly! Philly! Come here little dog."

"Oh no," Philadelphia whispered to Clara. "Clara, you better go. Here, out the back door. The back door wasn't really a door. It was a small hole nthat no one on the ship except small Clara could fit through.

Clara scurried though the hole...barely. But she made it out before Mr. Brown came and that was the goal. Her dress was tattered at the bottom and her bun was messed up. Horribly, I might add. Before she ran off to her bunck, her her a crash and realized it was the fist of a man beating something. And then a scream. She recognized the voice. It was Philly's. She managed not to scream out his name out of fear. But she failled to keep in the tears.

She ran off not knowing what was going to happen next. 



© 2009 Kelsey Desmond


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Kelsey Desmond
Clara and Philly have a small interaction. But a strong love. Does that flow well enough? Is it clear enough?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on April 9, 2009


Author

Kelsey Desmond
Kelsey Desmond

Mandeville, LA



About
Hey, dudes! Kelsey here! Sevies are awesome and I'm a proud thirteen-year-old! :) My posie's down in New Orleans, Louisiana! I love Musical Theatre (hehe NOCCA is amahzing!) Facebook and Gmail are my .. more..

Writing