Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)
Mama's Truth

Mama's Truth

A Story by Kelsey Rae

Dear Johnny,
For 3 hours, they had been fightin'. Yellin' and throwin' things, like they always did. Daddy accused Mama of cheatin' and stealin' his money. I knew they were true. Mama never thought Daddy was enough. But Daddy was a mean man, forced Mama to marry him after she got pregnant with you, Johnny. He liked to drink and fight. Mostly with you. Since you left, Mama got all his anger. BANG! woke me straight out of bed. I ran down the steps as fast as I could. I seen Daddy standin' over Mama with his revolver in his hand.
"Daddy what have you done?" I choked out, lookin' down at Mama's bloody face. My eyes darted back to Daddy. His eyes were so cold like a dark winters night.
"Listen here, you little s**t, you ain't seen nothin'! You got me? When somebody asks, you say you ain't seen nothin', you was upstairs sleepin'!" Daddy screamed.
"But you killed Mama," I accused, "You ain't gonna get away with this!"
Right then he grabbed my arm and pulled me real close. Quietly, he whispered to me, "Maybelle, your Mama got what was comin' to her. Now you're gon help me make this look like a break in or I'm gon tell the police that you killed Mama."
I jerked myself away from him and started runnin' for the back door. "I ain't gonna help you. That's my Mama you killed." I yelled back at him as I opened the door. I made it over the back fence when I heard a gunshot and a bullet ricochet off the tree next to me. I ran for what felt like an hour before I realized that I didn't have no shoes on. I looked down at my raw, bloody feet. I thought to myself, the police are prolly already lookin' for me. Where am I? I can't get caught. I ain't ready for jail.

I woke up that mornin' in the middle of the woods somewhere. I looked down at my feet, crusted with blood and numb. It was real. Mama. Daddy. All of it. It wasn't a dream. Where do I go now? I stood up and fell over as fast as I stood up. My feet was completely numb from runnin'. I need to get feet cleaned up and get some shoes. At first, I crawled cause that's all I could manage. I gained my strength after a while and pulled myself up off ground. Step by step I made my way through the dark woods, all the while my feet was bleedin' and knowin' somethin' was followin' me somewhere in these trees.
I must've looked a mess when I first walked down the street in Hamilton. People was givin' me all kinds of looks. Halfway down Main Street, I passed out. When I awoke, I was in a strange room. There was a lady asleep in a rockin' chair in the corner, still hummin' to herself. She reminded me of Mama. Mama used to hum the same song.
"Honey, don't get up. You're too weak right now. You need some rest." The woman said as I had started to move. I just looked at her. Why was she bein' so nice to me? I don't know her or nothin'.

"I'm fine. I best be goin' now." I explained while swingin' my legs over the side of the creaky old bed.
The woman got up real quick and rushed over to help me up. "What's your hurry? You just got here. At least let me feed you." Right then, I realized how hungry I was. I hadn't eaten in almost 2 days, I'm guessin'.
"What day is it?" I questioned.
"It's Tuesday, darlin'" She looked confused, but she didn't ask me why I didn't know what day it was. She just helped me get cleaned up and down the stairs to the kitchen.
We didn't talk much over breakfast. She just sat there nibblin' her food while I ate everythin' in reachin' distance. Over the grits and pancakes, I seen her starin' at me.
"I'm..uh..Lilly, by the way." I couldn't use my real name no more. Maybelle was gone. I wasn't her no more. Maybelle was just some plain 17 year old from Greenville, Georgia with a Mama, and a Daddy, and a brother. No runnin' from the law, no warrant for my arrest. That girl died along with her Mama.
"I'm Miss Talley. Honey, you can stay here as long as you want. No matter what kind of trouble you're in," she said sweetly, "I seen it all. I been through it all."
Suddenly, I realized just how long I had been settin' down in this house. The police, or maybe worse, my Daddy, were prolly closin' in. "I best be gettin' on my way. I can't be in one place for too long. Thank ya ma'am for your hospitality. You been very kind." Miss Talley gave me some of her daughter's old cloths and a pair of old sketchers. When I got downstairs, she had packed me a sack full of food and water.
"You take care of yourself now, ya hear?" Miss Talley advised. "Stick to the small towns. And, " She paused, "Get the hell outta Georgia." She kissed my forehead and sent me on my way. When you get this letter, find her and tell her thanks for me.
It was 2 days since I left Miss Talley's place when the food ran out. I ain't slept yet and my stomach was growlin' somethin' fierce. I missed home more than ever. I missed you more than ever. I missed Mama more than ever.
Woodland, Alabama. My first actual crime. I didn't wanna steal but I had to. All I took was some bread, 2 cans of raviolis, and peanut butter. That's all that would fit in my sack. After I felt horrible, I ain't never done nothing like that before. It made me feel dirty, but that was all a part of my life as Lilly.
The next morning, I saw the first newspaper article about me. Daddy told the police that I was crazy and shot Mama. He said I been fightin' with her and couldn't take it no more. There was a $15,000 reward out for me. I turned the page over and there was myself starin' right back at me. Daddy put my school picture in the paper. Now everybody knew what I looked like. I stole brown hair dye from the pharmacy and cut my hair right above my shoulders. I really was Lilly now. No more Maybelle.
"Is that her?" I heard them whisper. Outta the corner of my eye, I seen them open the newspaper to my picture. "That's so her!" "No, it ain't. They don't got the same hair. Maybelle got long blonde hair. That girl got short brown hair." "They got the same faces, dumbass." I could feel my heart beat start racing. They was gonna figure it out. I slowly started to walk away, but they noticed and started followin' me. I walked faster and faster. They gained on me.
"It's her! It's Maybelle! Get 'er!" One of them shouted.
Another person screamed, "Somebody call the police!"
"Don't let her get away! Grab 'er!" They was gettin' closer. I ran all the way to the woods and started for the mountains.
Through the trees, their footsteps kept gettin' farther and farther away. Eventually, I didn't hear their voices no more. But I didn't stop. They was gonna tell Daddy and you know how good a hunter he is. He would find me, no matter what.
Right on the other side of the hills was Wedowee. It was dark by the time, I got there. I slept in a barn for a few hours. I woke up suddenly when the sound of police sirens filled the barn. Through a crack in the wall, I could see all the police men with their guns drawn. Johnny, I was so scared. I knew this was the last of my runnin'.
"We got the barn surrounded! Come out with your hands up and we won't shoot!" a police man with a megaphone demanded.
I gave up Johnny. There was no where else for me to run to. I couldn't escape. I walked out with my hands up and within a second I was slammed down on the ground by 4 policemen. When they pulled up off the ground, I seen Daddy's face. He seemed so happy. We can't let him get away with this Johnny. He killed Mama. We are Mama's truth. Please help me! I need you! Daddy's the one that should be in jail, it ain't supposed to be me. I ain't a killer. I only ran cause he would've killed me, too. You gotta believe, Johnny. Please believe me!
Love your sister,
Maybelle

© 2015 Kelsey Rae


Author's Note

Kelsey Rae
ignore the spelling errors they are supposed to be like that

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A gripping story, with action, emotion and drama, all nicely balanced. You have nicely etched out the characters of the father and daughter. The story also ends on a hopeful note that justice may be delayed but is never denied.
I am surprised at your talent.
If you can pen a story in a short letter - I wonder what you can do if you are infused with some discipline in writing at least 5 pages per day for 50 days--- You would have written a racy 250 page novel and i am sure it would be a best seller.
Be consistent in your writing. You would go a long way.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey Rae

8 Years Ago

Thanks! Your words are so encouraging!



Reviews

An absorbing story...it sucked me in right away and the cliffhanger ending has me wanting more.

Part of the reason why this story works is the distinctive voice of Maybelle/Lily. I got a great sense of setting, time, and characterization just from the opening sentence.

I do have one concern, though. Exactly when does the story take place? While I'm guessing that this the 20th century Deep South, I wasn't entirely sure. Maybe you should make a quick reference to that somewhere in the beginning.

But good on you! Really enjoyed this piece.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A gripping story, with action, emotion and drama, all nicely balanced. You have nicely etched out the characters of the father and daughter. The story also ends on a hopeful note that justice may be delayed but is never denied.
I am surprised at your talent.
If you can pen a story in a short letter - I wonder what you can do if you are infused with some discipline in writing at least 5 pages per day for 50 days--- You would have written a racy 250 page novel and i am sure it would be a best seller.
Be consistent in your writing. You would go a long way.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey Rae

8 Years Ago

Thanks! Your words are so encouraging!
This is quite a fantastic story! I am hoping for more!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey Rae

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! x

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
3 Reviews
Added on June 30, 2015
Last Updated on June 30, 2015

Author

Kelsey Rae
Kelsey Rae

About
Just trying to get my thoughts out there.. more..

Writing
Prolougue Prolougue

A Chapter by Kelsey Rae


Run Run

A Book by Kelsey Rae


Masks Masks

A Poem by Kelsey Rae