Chapter 1-birth of a warrior

Chapter 1-birth of a warrior

A Chapter by K. Ember Norton
"

a young girl is born to a family of nijia but they all fear her so the do there best to forgit that she exist refusing her even a name, so what happens when the entire village is destroyed...

"

Chapter 1 birth of a warrior

One hundred and forty years ago, amidst the chaos and bloodshed that accompanied the end of the Tokugawa regime there arose a warrior known only as Toratsume the manslayer. It was said that no one who fell prey to her unleashed blade lived to tell about it. It was said she was undefeatable, and then one day as the dust settled and the cries faded into the sunset, she vanished. And with the flow of time, Toratsume the manslayer would become a legend. This is a tale of a girl that became a legend, a legend that wrote the fate of a nation.

A small village lay hidden in the valley of Kia. The village was home to a clan of ninjas, whose skills and ferocity had been things of legend for over several hundred years. It was said that the god of war had chosen them. One family in particular he took a special interest in and it was from this family that a child was born. Her mother died in childbirth before she was able to name the girl. The elders of the village decided that for the safety of the village the child must be locked away until the village was in need of her. Though until that time came, she must remain in solitude within the dark depths of the catacombs. No one other then the elders even knew she existed but they didn’t care they knew that Hachiman wouldn’t allow his daughter to die.

For years Shang remained locked in the catacombs that served as her home and prison. The catacombs were all she knew, her life consisted of the darkness that surrounded her and inside her and nothing else. Every few weeks the elders sent some unlucky soul into the catacombs to leave food for her. She would sit alone in the dark void that surrounded her and ask herself why. Why they hated her so much, what did I ever do she would ask herself as she listened to children playing in the sun beyond the wall of the cave. Her portion of the catacombs was off limits to others, and if anyone saw her anywhere other than the ones that were hers, there were dire consequences. She would sit alone in the catacombs and think to herself, why, why did they hate her so much. What did I ever do, she would think to herself, as she lay awake in the darkness. As the sun rose the cave lightened up a shadow appeared on the cold damp floor where she lay alone and ask herself, why were they doing this to her.

Why, why did they hate her so much she would ask, as she lay awake in the darkness, listening to the dripping stalagmites and scurrying rats underground? She sat alone and wondered why she even lived, for what purpose was she born. She wondered as she listened to the scurrying rats underground and dripping stalagmites, “child it is time for you to be of some use,” an intruder said as he lead Shang out of the cave and into the bright sun light.

Shang squinted as her eyes against themselves to the light of the setting sun. A villager handed her a kunai knife. 

“What do I do with this?” Shang asked. She had never before held a weapon and its weight frightened her a little. However, she hid her fear, her fear only lead to her own suffering. She was never to show any emotion whatsoever. 

“Follow your instincts. Kill anyone from the shogonate army,” a villager told her then vanished into the raging battle.

“Are you of the shogonate?” she asked a solder, her voice was not that of a child, but that of a seasoned warrior. 

“And if I am,” the solder said.

“Then you must die,” she said fighting with only a dagger. Her eyes were no longer deep green but more of a glistening shade of reddish-orange of a tiger on the prowl. She lost herself in a mess of blows and counter-blows. She held her own, which was more than the rest of her clan could say. As the last of her enemies fell so did her allies. The cold wind whipped thru her long hair as she walked past one fallen solder after another.

Now what, she wondered as she dug graves for the fallen, was this all she had to look forward to, nothing more than killing and ending lives. Was this why she was born, to kill? The question lingered as she knelt in front of the graves. She should feel something but what she never knew them. Was this all she was good for, only killing and taking lives.

 “How could you do this to me,” she yelled at the elders that lay in front of her, “you free me only to leave me.” She sat by the graves of her allies alone- again. What are you afraid of, she yelled herself, you’ve been alone all your life what was the rest of it.  She could still feel fear somewhere, but from whom was it coming from. Neither she nor the dead felt fear, which meant that someone still lived, but who, Who managed to escape her blade, she was instantly on guard, who still lived an enemy or ally. Shang looked around only to find a young girl no older than five years of age. Her eyes held a kindness that Shang had never seen before, at least not toward her. Shang held tight to her kunai knife. Her blade was all she could count on, it and pain; those were the only two constant in her life. 

“Are you going to kill me,” the girl asked as she entered the pale moonlight and looked at the girl that stood in front of her. She was only a child, but her eyes they held such sorrow. 

“No,” Shang said as she relaxed a little, “what is your name child?”

“Tassarra, what’s yours,” she asked.

“I don’t have one,” Shang whispered as she looked at the full moon, “come Tassarra, there is nothing left for us in this village,” then to herself she thought, there is nothing left for me anywhere.

“But where will we go? This land is all I know,” Tassarra said as the two neared the entrance of the valley were the village once lay. Tassarra held tight to Shang’s hand, her stern expression told her not to speak of the gruesome scene she had just witnessed.

 

 



© 2016 K. Ember Norton


Author's Note

K. Ember Norton
this story takes place in japan so i did use some Japaneses words

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on April 20, 2016
Last Updated on April 20, 2016


Author

K. Ember Norton
K. Ember Norton

san bernadino, CA



About
i'm a student that is trying to be an author. now i know that i will never be the JKRolings, or Steven Kings, but i love to write and hope that some like to read what i write more..

Writing