Introductory Monologue

Introductory Monologue

A Chapter by Kevin Mattingley
"

Draft of an idea for the beginning of the story and scene setting to help me to write the next chapter.

"

It all started with that voice. At first, I really thought it was my own voice. My warped conscience, or perhaps even the devil inside me, sat piously on my shoulder, making the odd snide comment or remark about my feelings and thoughts.

 

The voice sounded so similar to my own you see. I think that is how I got trapped, ensnared by it. How step by step, I realised that the voice is not me. Or at least I don’t think so. It tells me it is not. Not that I believe everything it says of course.

 

I hope that I know better now. The one thing we have no choice but to do in this life is to learn. No choice at all. I have learnt not to believe everything. That is a truly dangerous thing. Anyway, whether it is my voice, your voice, the voice of a tramp, a demon or an angel. Why does any of that matter anyway?. Listen to me and hear what I say. The real point is, that the voice is real.

 

I can see the expression on your face, trust me, it is oh so very real. Then there were the nosebleeds. They were too real.

 

Answer me this? Just where exactly, do we start and end anyway, just what precisely do we have any real control over. Isn’t it only the little things?. Surely you have learnt that in your life by now. These are the biggest lessons I have learnt these last months. Do you know the answer because I don’t?. But I think I have an idea of where it might start to begin?

 

Perhaps that’s why I need to talk. Perhaps I need to tell some one all about it. You will do just because you are here. So, I will tell you about it. It is not like it is destiny or anything; although if the truth be told, more and more I have seen how everything is connected?.

 

So, as now is the time and because I must. I will tell you what I know about the Zone. How it is everywhere; and often it is nowhere. But trust me on one thing, it is always here; just on the edge.

I can see your face, that expression. Just listen a little bit more before you judge me. They know the truth you see. They know everything. I will tell you about them soon.

There is an order to this you see.

Order matters. Order gives limits.

© Kevin Mattingley

18th August 2009



© 2009 Kevin Mattingley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
Added on August 19, 2009


Author

Kevin Mattingley
Kevin Mattingley

Gloucester, United Kingdom



About
I live just outside Gloucester in England. I am now blonde. Courtesy of Debbie Harry and Atomic..... I have been writing poety for about 25 years now and I am in the process of trying to write .. more..

Writing
Zone One Zone One

A Chapter by Kevin Mattingley