Of Stone and Ice

Of Stone and Ice

A Story by TheRaven
"

In which the witch is burnt.

"

The chains held tight across the stone mans chest, old and rusted with age. In the summer they wept with the wet drops of water dripping down from the ceiling seven inches above the mans head. This man, hard and still beneath the ground looked to be a simple stone statue, carved with detail only matched by the most experienced of stone carvers. The man stood 6 foot tall, draped in a large lifeless cloth, and placed in the center of the dirt room. From every angle his chains wrapped around him, connecting to the wall in the vain hope of preventing his escape. His arms wrapped upwards as if holding a child, and within them lay the skeletal remains of a young woman. Deep inside of his cloak contained the lifelike replication of a human face. The expression on his face was one of both extreme anger and sadness. One tear looked to be carved halfway down his right cheek.

 

The statue had lived in this room, under the earth for 10 generations, bound in chains and left to rot by those who had brought him. The winter winds rose high and strong against the lands as the Ravens War finally came to a close, and the man of stone was laid to rest. Now those winds have come again, starting out as the softest of whispers in the late autumn nights, calling to those who would listen to its song, but now the time for sweet callings has ended and the changing of the seasons is at hand. No longer will the winds call out to the world with warmth and love, for now they call out with their strength and run across the lands once again ushering winter back into the plains. The chains that now hold the man of stone, wet from the water from above now harden as the dampness freezes over. The liquid that has seeped into the smallest cracks along the chain now expand, forcing the chains apart, weakening their grip. The smallest of cracks form along the statues skin.

 

The smell of blood and death wash over his body as he runs across the marble floor. Shouts can be heard from outside of the castle as the soldiers fight against the Ravens beasts. A large crack forms along the face of the man, running between his empty eyes. Screams of pain and fear shoot through the heated air as he runs toward their origin. A soldier runs toward him, but the man rips the soldier apart leaving behind a bloodied mess. Pieces of stone fall from the statue, crashing against the ground and shattering on impact. Black cloth is visible where the stone has broken away. A bloodied, and weak woman lays on the marble floor, crying for her love to find her. The man falls to his knees and scoops her up in his arms, wiping away the tears from her face. Cries can be heard in the room as the chains begin to snap apart one by one. Most of the stone has fallen away revealing a man pale of skin and black of hair. His face is covered with small scars as tears continue to fall across his cheeks. The woman, Elizabeth, dies in the mans arms from the horrors she had experienced at the hands of the humans. He cries out in pain as he feels her life fade away, leaving him alone again and breaking what little of the light he had left inside. With Elizabeth still in his arms he begins to walk through the castle, back toward the entrance. As he does so he catches fire, burning the things and men around him. The last of the stone is gone, and all the chains are broken. The man falls to his knees, staring at the remains he holds, and cries again as he re experiences his grief. After a while his tears dry and he starts to feel the cold darkness within himself harmonize with the rising winds from above. He knows what he must do. The castle burns, as do the soldiers and demons as they battle. The woman has burnt, leaving behind blacks bones in the arms of the man. When he reaches the doors and steps out onto the battle field his flames, powered by his grief and anger, spread out across the lands, burning all those within 20 miles of the castle. When the humans arrive with their reserves they find a desolate wasteland of charred flesh and wood. At the center stands the broken remains of the castle, and the man with his love encased in stone. The humans cheer and celebrate at the sight. After many hard years of fighting the Raven at last was dead.

 

The Raven arrives above ground, still carrying his deceased love in his arms. He finds a good stretch of land covered in grass, and lays her bones across it. With a slight wave of his hands the bones dissolve into ash and fly through the air in strange shapes and symbols. As their dance comes to an end they harden, and fall slowly into the hands of the Raven in the shape of a silver locket. He places it around his neck before turning away from the place that had once been his prison, heading toward wherever the gods deemed fit to place him. His steps were slow and shaken, it seemed that his imprisonment had weakened his power considerable for now. His first course of action would be to recharge, and then he would march against the humans. Though they may change the names of their kingdoms and groups he knew that he would find the descendants of those who had killed Elizabeth.

 

After a while, when the night began its rein over the Earth, the Raven managed to find a city. Using what little power he had he entered the city making himself hidden among the cities travelers. He stayed in the crowd for a while when he was sudden touched by a small tug. He inhaled and in through the smells of the city he could smell the faintest hints of magic. He searched around, walking toward its point of origin until he saw a young women walking through the streets. He decided that he would follow her for the time being, and try to find out who she is and what she knew of this world. Although he was used to the cities of his time, many things had changed in the way they worked. Strange things were littered across the city, and these things made the Raven nervous because in his world he had seen everything. New things often meant surprises, and surprises always made him nervous because they could not be prepared for.

 

After following the young girl for a while, she left the city and began to journey into the near by wood. After a short while she stopped and enter a small cabin, isolated from the rest of the world by a maze of forest. At this point snow had been falling for some time, and the winds began to rise with the cold touch of a new winter. These winds wrapped around the man, giving him new strength as he progressed. Physically he began to become accustomed to movement after so much time in stone, but his magic would need a lot more than cold to return to its original power. 

 

As he approached the cabin the winds began to rise higher, bring the cold down upon the Earth with a grand fury. Snow fell by the thousands, painting the green grass white, drowning out the living creatures withing. Already the animals of the forest ran for shelter, trying to hide from the approaching death of winter. The cabin door now stood before him, and the smell of fire rushed across his body. Memories flooded his mind of that night in the castle, as he held her broken corpse in his arms. In that moment his returning strength failed him, and he fell to the snow forest floor. That was when the darkness took him, and he fell across the snow, unconscious as his cloaked head hit across the wooden door.

© 2015 TheRaven


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on October 18, 2015
Last Updated on October 18, 2015

Author

TheRaven
TheRaven

Flint, MI



Writing
The Gallows The Gallows

A Story by TheRaven