Microbiology as metaphor

Microbiology as metaphor

A Story by Vox Machina
"

A short essay I wrote in the hopes of figuring out why humans are so weird.

"

I read the other day that a human body is not a single organism, but rather a collective made up of 90% micro-organisms and 10% inert manner. Fascinating stuff really. It then occurred to me that the brain must be made up of  micro-organisms as well. Meaning that while I think of myself as an individual, I'm actually a colony. Anyone familiar with my mercurial nature would probably agree with this.



Following that line of thinking it occured to me that the many functions and complexes of Jungian psychology could be seen as micro-organisms, formed of electrical current. Each thought, conscious or unconscious, must be made up of microthoughts. I believe the components of thought to be; sense, emotion, instinct, and memory.



The interesting thing about this theory is that all organisms are subject to viruses. Foreign beings that replace a cells DNA with their own, enslaving the cell so to speak. So that the cell manufactures endless copies of the virus, rather then replicating itself for healing purposes.



I thought, "Could there be thought viruses as well?" Self replicating thoughts that consume the mind of the victim, replacing his/her thoughts with themselves and impairing new growth? Certain thoughts when transmitted via words often have a powerful effect on the listener.



How many people have been influenced by the Koran, the Bible, or the Constitution, or perhaps Mein Kampf. Sometimes beneficially, sometimes adversly. I wonder if perhaps the authors of these and other texts passed on viral beliefs of their own, sicknesses of thought they were unaware of.



But what are the cures to these viruses? How does the immune system of the psyche function, and how can it be bolstered? For that matter what manner of thoughts am I infecting you with, dear reader?

© 2009 Vox Machina


Author's Note

Vox Machina
I meant to develop this theory more, but the bar closed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on January 7, 2009

Author

Vox Machina
Vox Machina

Denver, CO



About
This pretty much says it all. more..

Writing
Focus Focus

A Story by Vox Machina