Distant Help

Distant Help

A Poem by Thomas Fitzgerald
"

This is a piece I felt compelled to write in response to the upsurge of suicide among gay teens in America, help stop the pain.

"

The light flashes quick against candles open,

Poured silence in a mind of fighting sounds,

No way out for men turned children by others,

Tragic life now scorched and seated bound.

 

The road lingers high with thought of escape,

Teenagers laugh and taunt as they pander,

Eyes droop and fill with scalding salted tears,

Those thoughtless demons a weapon slander.

 

Help is distant to those unable to ask for it,

I kneel slowly in bathrooms no longer clean,

The knife slits flesh open with careless ease,

Pain leaves the mind the happiest it's been.

 

Goodbye to all those that turn a blind eye,

Suicide a mere concept to ones in power,

Governments slay each other without notice,

May their ignorance turn heads so very sour.

© 2011 Thomas Fitzgerald


Author's Note

Thomas Fitzgerald
Be honest, if only for those now gone.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

For one, it's good to see you back Thomas. I missed your poetry.

Two, I can relate to the suicidal issue of this poem. And how it seems so much easier than dealing with the criticism that's poured down me each and everyday.
I would see how it would crack down to that for people who are indeed gay.

I really don't see why people throw a big fit over someone's sexuality. It's who they love, and how they love them; why should it be a part of someone else's business?
That goes to show how immature people can really be.

This is a really thought provoking piece.

"Help is distant to those unable to ask for it,
I kneel slowly in bathrooms no longer clean,
The knife slits flesh open with careless ease,
Pain leaves the mind the happiest it's been."

Favorite lines.

Great write, and I hope to see more from you soon my friend.

-Marie-


Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

We have come so far and yet still have a ways to go... it is shameful of the ignorance still alive in this world... it seems to be bigger among kids these days... not just with gays but bullying in general to anyone thought different. Yes a very compelling piece that needed to be said.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sad thought.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

a truly amazing peice, one that desperatly needed to be written. this should be happening but yet it constantly is, i don't know about the rest of the world but this is a major problem in america and not much is done to put a stop to it. this needs to end and soon

Posted 12 Years Ago


this made me cry people need to just love each other no matter the reason we are all the same.

Amazing work Thomas let it be an eye opener

100/100

Posted 12 Years Ago


brilliant piece

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nobody should be ashamed of their sexuality and those who shun people who love freely are ignorant . Love is Love. It takes more than just one form. Amazing poem, it really struck home. Thanks for another great write. I'm glad you're back :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I hate people who torture gay's as a Christian people just assume we walk around hitting gay's over the head with the Bible. But it really makes me sick when people tease, and torture these kids. They just need to feel safe, this is sad.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great write. They were probably driven to that lengths by bullies who fear what they refuse to understand.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suicide been around a long time. My brothers were not gay. Both killed themselves for being poor and no dreams. I have a Gay step-brother who is successful and been with his mate for 30 plus years. Suicide is a bad thing. Here in the USA. Little concern for kids and schools. First budget cuts are the schools. School need music and sports. My fear is part of Africa. I saw a CNN video where they are killing anyone who is different. The Gay people must hide out and fear for their life. That scare me. World is going backward. No-one had the right to tell anyone what you should want and need. I agree with your poem. World had change. Need strong school where kids are safe to wish and dream. Thank you for the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Being gay is always a problem when adolescent The children dont share the same restraints of law that the adults do .The united states has one out of ten on prozac we are the prozac nation.I wish it wasnt the case but such is the way of this world
Nice write

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

832 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on October 19, 2011
Last Updated on October 19, 2011

Author

Thomas Fitzgerald
Thomas Fitzgerald

Wexford, Leinster, Ireland



About
To all who know by now - I love you. For those that don't, I review a lot of work on here, and I expect the same in return, friend me but make sure to have conviction! I'm a horror writer mostly bu.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Raspberry Tea Raspberry Tea

A Poem by Hayley