Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by Kitalia Emme

    Screams broke out as Ace crashed through the plaster and into a table, sending a couple of girls running behind the bar. He stood up, brushing away the dirt from his shoulder and picking up his hat.  

    “I did try to apologies. Now, let my first mate go, this is between you and I, and trust me, you are going to need that hand.”

    He put his hat back on, lifting one eyebrow slightly, as a wicked grin crossed his face.

“Boy” the man growled, tightening his grip on Gracy “I don’t need two hands to squish a fly.”

    Gracy saw her chance, and kicked with both feet. She could feel his knee clap crackle as he threw her to the side.

“Damn brat!” He howled, dropping her

    “Do me a favor, Luck, will ya?” Ace called. “Keep the crew out of it, this is my fight.”

    “Understood” she said, taking up a position beside the bar “I guess that means you want me to play damage control?”

    “Good plan!” He nodded, walking casually towards his opponent.

    “Mind if I know the name of my opponent? I need to know what to put on your tombstone?” He asked.

Ace stopped and stood up on his toes, coming nose to nose with the man.

    “Cocky B*****d.” the man growled, adjusting his hat.

“Suits you!”  Ace replied, a devilish grin painted across his face.

     “They call me Tosspint. Tell me, what’s you’re mamas name, someone is gonna have to comfort the poor gal when she buries her son.”

“Eleana,” Ace said, calmly “But you can’t comfort the dead.”

    He came up with his fist, knocking his opponent backwards, sending his head rolling across his shoulders and knocking his hat falling to the floor. Tosspint snapped back, bringing his elbow down on Ace’s head, driving his chest into his knee. Ace grabbed him around the waist, flipping him over his back and slamming his head into the floor, cracking the floor boards. Tosspint grabbed Ace by the foot, pulling him down, as he climbed back onto his feet. He swung hard, sending Ace smashing through the bar.

    “Ace!” Gracy jumped forward.

    “Damn it, Luck!” Ace said, climbing back over the wrecked bar “I told you to stay out of this!”

    Tosspint took advantage of the distraction bringing a chair down on Ace. Ace was back on his feet in seconds. He kicked Tosspint in the chest, sending him crashing backwards through the door. Tosspint grabbed at the frame in an attempt to steady himself, pulling the woodwork off. Ace Jumped across the wrecked door and landed with his foot on Tosspints head. Arms crossed, beaming with pride as if he was victorious. Tosspint grabbed his foot, sending him sprawling on the ground and grabbed the back of his head slamming his face into the cobble street. Ace grabbed him by the belt and sent him flying through the window of the bar across the street. Glass shattered and several patrons ran out, screaming.
Tosspint staggered back out into the street where Ace was standing, blood running down the side of his face. The two stood, panting staring at each other. 

    “I didn’t know your mama was dead, or I wouldn’t have drug her name into this. But make no mistake, that doesn’t mean I am gonna let you walk away from this either.” Tosspint panted, shaking his head.

“I wouldn’t want you to. But I appreciate the apology.” Ace grinned.

“I wasn’t apologizing to you, I was paying my respect to the deceased.” Tosspint said as he swung.

    Ace ducked, landing his fist in the center of his stomach, Tosspint crumpling into Ace.  “I’ll accept the apology, anyways” Ace panted, struggling to support his weight.

    The sound of boots marching rang down from the top of the hill, Gracy ran to Ace’s side.

“They called the authority, we need to move!”

    “Well, we can’t leave him here. We are a guilty as he is!” Ace said, trying to shift the unconscious Tosspint onto his back.

“We’re taking him with us?” She gasped, “He nearly killed you!”

    “You have a strange idea of what near death looks like” Ace laughed. “I decided I like this jerk. I’m gonna ask him to join the crew. Gracy, I need you to stall for me, and I’ll meet you back at the ship. If you can get some supplies, we need to get out of here before they trace this mess back to us. Oh, and would you hand me his hat?”

“I’ll try,” she said, dusting off the caved felt dome and setting it on top of Tosspints head.

 

    Gracy ran up the street trying to think of a way to buy Ace a little time. She rounded the corner to see five marines running towards the tavern where Ace and Tosspint were. She was out of time to plan.
Not knowing what else to do she let out a desperate cry, and trying her best to force tears she ran towards the small group.

“Are you okay?”

     The marine that approached was tall and thin with a grey goatee and glasses, likely near 40. He waved for the others to move along as he placed his hand on Gracy’s shoulder.

“You all go on ahead and I’ll take care of this.”

    “Pirates kidnaped my brother!” She sobbed, hiding her face in her hands. “My brother, there were so many of them and they took him!”

    The other four had stopped “How may where there?”

    “I don’t know,” She sniffed, “At least eight or nine.”

    “Rhet, you take care of the kid and we’ll go find them. Do you know which way they went?”

    A tall young man with thick dark hair was looking at her in deep concern, through thick round glasses. She pointed down a side street, sniffing.

    “Don’t worry about it, son, they’ll get your brother back” Rhet said, ruffling her hair, “you can call me Rhet. Come down to the headquarters and we’ll wait in the dining hall. They’ll be up there before you know it.”

    She had no trouble forcing the tears at this point, her body was shaking with the laughter she was trying to disguise as sobs.

    “Come on, men don’t cry, your brother will be home soon. Maybe we should get you back home to your mother, let her know what happened.”

    He put his hand on her shoulder, bending down to her height. Her sides were starting to hurt, she was laughing so hard.

“I can’t,” She gasped, “I got no ma.”

    “Your father then?” Rhet asked, sounding even more concerned.

She shook her head. He grabbed her, pulling her into a tight hug.

    “We’ll save your brother, we’re marines, it’s what we do. We save people. Just come back to headquarters with me, and we’ll be there waiting when they bring him back. You don’t have to worry.”

    He started steering her up the hill, towards the center of town. Several people stopped, shaking their heads at the scene that was unfolding.

 

    They sat in a large room, with four tables that ran longwise. On one end were two large doors leading outside, the other had a doorway that lead into a long hall, and a window that opened into the kitchen. Several marines sat along the tables, playing cards, or eating. The man who was trying to gain a description of Ace had given up and was folding his pencils carefully into a small pouch. She had done her best to describe the man from earlier, hoping that if these men were hunting him he couldn’t come after she and Ace.

    Rhet was watching her closely with a stern expression, and she was still trying to cover the giggles with sobs. Her stomach started to growl, after all it had been nearly a day since the bar.

    “Do you want something to eat?” he asked, concern filling his eyes as he motioned for someone to bring her a plate. She shook her head, fearing that she would choke if she tried to eat now. Somehow they still believed her story.

“I think I would be sick, I am so scared.” she said.

    He nodded, understandingly, “Poor thing. Do you have any family?”

“Just my brother.” she sniffed.

“Poor kid.” he seemed to be talking to himself at this point.

    A commotion at the far end of the hall interrupted Rhet’s train of thought as Ace came bursting into the room, the blood and grime from the fight earlier this evening still smeared across his face.
Her heart stopped, had they been caught?

    “Gray!” He ran towards her, his face filled with relief. She jumped up and met him half way, burying her face in his chest to hide the laughter that was erupting uncontrollably.

“Hey, you’re fine.” He said, ruffling her hair, “That was really clever of you. Thanks, Grey, you’ll have to tell me all about it later.”

    Despite his best efforts to sound serious she could still hear the amusement in his voice.

    Rhet came up to stand before Ace, reaching out to shake his hand.  “Your brother loves you very much, don’t scare him like that again.”

“Yes, sir.” Ace buried his face in Gracy’s hair to hide his grin.

    “Now, he told me that the two of you are in a bit of a bad place, so would you please humor me and allow us to feed you before you take off?”

“Well, I hate to intrude upon your hospitality, sir, but I am in no place to turn you down.” Ace smirked, still using Gacy as a barrier.

    He took a deep breath, hugging Gracy so hard her ribs popped. She could feel him laughing, but the marines seemed to think he was sobbing. The two stood there for a long time, holding each other up, and masking their laughter.

    When they finally regained their composure Rhet ushered them to a seat at one of the tables.

“Take your time, you can stay as long as you need.” Rhet gestured at the food, “There’s no need for you to be hungry tonight. Please, eat all you want.”

    It was an offer they quickly accepted. As Ace and Gracy made themselves at home the Marines moved to the other end of the room to give them some space. They stuffed their faces, trying not to look at each other for fear of the laughter they knew would erupt.

“You really are something. I can’t wait to hear how you pulled this off.” Ace finally mumbled as he pushed back the third bowl and lay his head down on the table and closing his eyes.

    ‘Leave it to the captain to fall asleep in the middle of the Marine Headquarters.’ She thought, picking at an odd looking pastry.

    The doors opened and Gracy could hear several people enter the hall. She didn’t turn around to see, not really caring and feeling rather sleepy herself. She leaned on Ace, hoping he didn’t topple over, so that she could rest her eyes, her sides were still hurting from the act she had put on. She could hear a deep voice asking about them, and hear as Rhet explained everything how the two brothers had lost everything, and had nowhere to go. The conversation continued as the group crossed the room and went down the hallway by the kitchen. She closed her eyes, and felt herself slipping into a light sleep.

    She could hear as the man from earlier came back into the room, She could see the shadow as he walked over to the table where they were sitting; they were talking about an Alexander. She was confused, it seemed like this was directed towards Ace. But the events of the day were finally starting to take their toll, and everything seemed to be slipping farther and farther away, so she let sleep take over.

 

 

    She was rudely awakened by the sound of running feet.

“Stand up slowly with your hands up!” A voice shouted.

    As she tried to shake the sleep from her eyes someone grabbed her and drug her to her feet.

“The Captain wants you taken to his office”

    As her vision cleared she could see that they had already shackled Ace, and the three marines were trying to figure out the best way to wake him up.

“It won’t work,” She mumbled, as they secured the shackles on her wrists.

    “Then how do you wake him up?” one young marine with dark blond hair asked, looking frustrated.

“Like I would tell!” She snapped.

“You can tell us, or we can ask the Captain and see how he wants to handle this.” He stated

“Fine!”  She scowled, “but you’re gonna have to let go of me.”

    She felt the grip loosen and she pulled away, slamming headfirst into the young marine. She kicked back, knocking the man behind her flat.

“Nothing personal” she grinned “But I don’t play fair.”

    She punched the blond marine right in the stomach. Ace woke with a start as the man knocked him off the bench and onto the floor. He looked down at the shackles on his arms, and then at the marines staggering back onto their feet.

“What’s going on? Wait, never mind, I think I get the picture.” He said bolting towards the doors “Hurry!”

    Several more marines came out of nowhere dragging them both to the floor. She could hear Ace cursing under his breath as they dragged them back up to their feet, this time keeping a much firmer grip on Gracy.

    “The captain ordered you brought to his office” the marine said, again. “He said that you are con artists and that you need to pay up on the damages.”

“What do you mean? My brother and I were offered sanctuary here.” Ace pleaded, but there was no answer.

    The marine’s lead them towards the end of the dining room and into the door to the right of the serving window. He marched them down the hallway and into an elevator, before he ever looked down at Gracy. It was the marine who was so fast to chase after Ace’s imagined captors. She could see the betrayal through the round lenses. She looked at the floor, feeling a little guilty, after all he had tried to help her.

    They were taken into an office and forced onto their knees in front of a large desk made from a dark wood. Rich blue curtains framed the tall window. The view of the city spread down the hill. A large man stood behind the desk, looking out at the harbor.

    “You can leave now. I’ll take it from here” he said.

“Sir” the marines stepped out of the room, closing the door.

    The man spun around and flew across the desk, smacking Ace across the back of the head.

“What the hell is wrong with you, boy?” he demanded “We gave you so many chances and you still wind up in chains?”

    “Crazy Old Geezer!” Ace hissed “Luck, get out of here. I’m gonna kill the old man this time for sure. This is my life, get out of it!”

    Before she could reply she felt him grab her arm and stand her up. The old man stood looking her over with an amused grin. He was a tall and sturdy man in his early sixties with white hair, and a well-kept beard. As he looked her over with clear blue eyes she felt cold, as if he was staring down into her soul. He pushed her into a chair and turned back on Ace.

    “What is this?” he asked “Want to explain why you are sneaking into our headquarters? I know you didn’t come to wish me well, and by the show y’all put on, I know you didn’t come looking for employment.” He knocked Ace in the head again.

“What the hell?” Ace growled.

    “I am hoping to knock some sense into you, you ungrateful brat” he said, shaking his head. “I suppose that any hopes I had for you were in vain. You’re a lost cause; I just with that Daya could have seen that. I warned her that you were all too broken to save. Imagine her face if she saw this.”

    “I’m the only one who wasn’t worth saving. Leave Cade out of this.” Ace snapped.

“If he is anything like you it’s pointless to even try!” The man shouted back.

    Gracy sat there staring, she didn’t know what to do, but she couldn’t just sit and watch. She shifted to the front of the chair, waiting for her opening. Ace grumbled something under his breath.

    “Care to tell me what that was you just said?”  The old man asked, leaning in to listen. Gracy saw her chance, and lurched forward, driving her head into his stomach.

He was unfazed by her attempt and grabbed her arm, sitting her down hard on her bottom next to Ace.

    “Good move! You have a lot of potential, don’t let him ruin you. You haven’t done anything but fall in with the wrong company, we can always make a fine marine out of you.”

“Luck wouldn’t do that.” Ace snapped.

“Luck?” The man asked, “It’s about time you found some of that, Alexander.”

“You don’t seem to get it,” Ace retorted. “Luck found me.”

    The old man glared at Ace, “How you talked her into all this, I have no idea, but you really need to call off this madness before you get her killed. And you,” he turned to look at Gracy. “I don’t know what you see in this hot head-”

    “Hothead?” She interrupted, “You’re the one who drug us up here, in chains, and beat the crap out of him! And I would never become one of you, never. Why should I? So I can run free, under an Imperial flag, and burn villages because I don’t like to look of the inhabitants?”

“Luck, please stop.” Ace warned.

    “No, Ace, I won’t.” she continued, “Become one of you so that I can follow a crippled pirate to a tiny port, and kill them all because, oh, I don’t know, they might have helped the pirate?”

“Luck...” Ace said again, sounding desperate “Please stop, now!”

    “No, Ace, I won’t!” She snapped, “Why would I want to take any part of that? At least when a pirate steps out of line, other pirates set him to rights, or the Navy offs him, or the marines intervene. But who keeps the marines in line? Huh? Who tells the Navy to back off? No one! They do whatever the hell they want, and kill whoever they please-”

“Gracy! Damn it! Shut up!” Ace yelled his voice serious.

    She was shocked, He had never used her name before, and there was no doubt he was about to panic. She spat on the floor at the Captains feet and crossed her arms as best she could. Tears forming in the corners of her eyes and running down her face leaving behind cold tracks.

Ace pulled himself to his feet, looking the man in the eyes. “If we can go now.” He hissed.

    The man shook his head and knelt in front of Gracy, “What is your home town?” he asked his face serious.

“I think she’s from Eaux Reve,” Ace said, “I met her further down the island though.”

    “I see,” the man sighed, “The captain responsible for that disaster was punished for the crime. No one is above the law, Gracy, not ever us. I extend my deepest sympathies to you, and I understand your hatred, but I ask you to please take the time to reflect on this; there are many alternatives other than a life of crime. Now, can I ask you what you see in this delinquent?” He asked, pointing his thumb at Ace.

    She shot him a spiteful look, hoping he would drop dead. She had not planned to keep following Ace, she was going to leave on her own as soon as she figured out how to get out of the marines care. When she saw him walk into the enemy fort, when he had gotten away and still came back for her. She couldn’t leave now, she owed him a debt of gratitude, even having put herself on the line so he could get away, the things he had done for her far outweighed her own feeble attempts.

    “What is your full name, young lady?” he asked.

She looked at the floor, anywhere could be better than here.

    “Please, just tell him, we’ll be out of her faster if you do.” Ace begged.

“Gracy Rowe,” she shot a spiteful look at Ace, he shrugged helplessly.

“Gracy Rowe, I am Captain Thames Gryffin of the Imperial Navy.” He offered her his hand, but she ignored it.

    “Walk with me a moment.” He said dragging her to her feet. “Alexander, you stay there, and I’ll return your Luck in a bit.”

    He marched her across the hall and into a small room. “I understand why you hate us, you and Alexander have more in common that you might think. You both want to know why you are alive; why, of everyone that could have lived, did the powers that be decide to keep you. And I know that it is pointless to try and talk you into changing your mind about this piracy thing, I tried to talk some sense into Alexander and Caeden for years and you can see how well that worked.”  He shook his head, his face filled with sorrow. “I know that the Empire is not perfect, but there are ways other than piracy. You have to know that I can’t save you if you get caught after a bounty has been issued. All I can do is hope that true justice is served.  Alexander is a good kid. My daughter took him in as if he was family, for crying out loud, and we tried to give him the same chances that every other child had. Miss Rowe, I can see a lot more then you think I do. If you insist on doing this pirate thing, just promise me that you will watch his back.”

    Gracy nodded, not sure how to answer him.

“May I ask you one thing?” She said as he led her back into the hall.

He paused, “I don’t know if I can answer you though. Please understand that I have my limits, rules that I must follow.”

She nodded. “Why do you call him Alexander?”

    “That is one question that you will have to ask him yourself.” He said, opening the door and motioning for her to go inside.

    They found Ace sitting on the desk looking annoyed and anxious. He jumped off the desk and started for the door, but paused just before he reached it, looking down at the shackles.

“Are you done now?” He asked impatiently, hold his wrists out epxectiantly.

    “No, I’m not,” Gryffin laughed sarcastically, “You still have to pay for the mess you made of that tavern, and the chaos you caused around here. So, you have a choice, you can spend a week in a cell, or a week cleaning up the messes you made.”

“Cleaning.” Ace said, without giving it any thought.

    Gracy could see the plan forming in his head already.

“Alright, But this is the only chance you get, Next time you get caught you’ll be treated as a pirate, not a kid playing a prank.” Gryffin waked back round his desk.

    Ace began to turn red, “A kid playing a prank? You covered for me? Why would you do that?”

    “Actually, I didn’t. If I hadn’t have said anything they would never have known you were here. I just wanted to see your face when they drug you in! I hoped it would scare you into going home” He laughed. “And I wanted to see who you wrangled into your dirty work, but I see she is as guilty as you are, so, both of you go do whatever it is they do to kids who play bad pranks.”

He leaned back in his chair and called for the men who had been waiting just outside the door.

    The two guards came back in the room and escorted them to a cell for the night; they were lectured the entire way from the office down to the cell on why pranking the authorities was a bad idea.

    As they lay on the cots staring at the celling Ace sighed.

“Luck? What did he say to you?” Ace whispered.

    “That you are a lost cause and that I am beyond help. And that he is unwilling to save us if we get into trouble.”

“What? What did he mean by that?”

“Dunno. He’s your grandda, so how should I know.”  She said.

    “He told you that?” Ace’s voice was low, as if he was masking something. “Well, I guess I do sort of see him like one, but I didn’t think the feeling was mutual. He’s always been like that, though. Showing up and trying to save us. Thinking that taking us back to that ‘place’ would give us a chance. Trying to put us in a school. He was never there when we really needed him though, he was always too early or too late. Oh, Luck, I have an idea, for tomorrow. If we can slip away then we can set sail, and move on to the next place. Somewhere the Old Geezer can’t interfere anymore.”

    “I guess, but what about the crew? Do you think they’ll still be there?” She rolled to face him.

“I dunno, but this is a pretty big town, so I think we can manage something.” He grinned, glancing across at her.

“But how are we gonna slip away?”

    “Well, it can’t be that hard to distract the guard, and we can’t work in shackles. So all we do is wait for the right chance. Besides, I can’t be stuck here if I want to recruit Tosspint. And if we can’t get out soon we’ll never be able to find him again.” He grinned even bigger at the ingenuity of his plan.

“That jerk? Why?” She sat up on her elbow.

“I just have a feeling he would be a powerful ally.” Ace stretched casually, locking his fingers behind his head.

    “If you really feel that way I will get you a distraction, but they will be looking for us, so you’ll have to stay on the ship till we leave port.” She said, yawning.

“I trust you.” He muttered dropping his hat over his face, and putting his hands back behind his head.

“How do you manage to hold onto that thing?” she asked, but no answer came.

 

    The sound of rattling keys woke them early the next morning. They were taken back to the tavern that had been wrecked in the previous days fight, and just as Ace had predicted the shackles were removed. As they began to shovel debris into a small cart, a woman from the tavern came over with a glass of water to offer it to Gracy, the opportunity that she had been waiting for was finally there.

    “Ma’am, if you could come here for just a moment?” Gracy grinned at her, trying to imitate the look she had seen so many times back at the parlor.

“Aren’t you a bit young? You don’t even have the hair on your chest yet.” The woman stepped in a little closer, looking mildly amused.

    “Ya, I’m young, but he isn’t. He had a really rough night because of me, and I would like to make it up to him.” Gracy said, handing her a piece of paper folded into some money, so that it looked like a large stack.

    The woman snatched the money without even looking at it and walked over to the guard. Ace looked at the guard and then at Gracy, it was obvious he had no idea what was going on.

 “What did I just see?” he whispered.

“Run, while he isn’t looking. I am going to meet you at the ship,” She said, “I’ll be there, I promise. Please, don’t come looking for me before sundown.”

    Ace looked reluctant, but he nodded and slipped into the alley behind the building. Once he was out of sight Gracy slipped into the tavern and up the stairs, trying doors until one opened.

    She stepped into the room and looked around. It was a small bedroom, powders and creams lay scattered across a low dresser, and a large mirror hung on the wall. Gracy started going through the drawers, looking for a disguise. She found a sleeveless top and skirt that fit her fairly well and fumbled around for some sort of hair accessories, adding a touch of make up along the way.  As she clipped her hair up she realized it had grown down to her shoulders. She started for a minute at how fast it had grown before remembering it had been two months that she was sailing alongside Ace.

    She walked back down the stairs and out the front door, the guard was gone, likely alerting the others that the prisoners escaped. The bartender watched her, confused as to where she had come from, but he didn’t say anything.

 

    It felt odd being back in a skirt again, having to hold it down with each breeze, and the top was restricting and revealing. She stepped into the first clothing store she saw, thanking Jiro for paying her to leave.

    She walked along looking at the shirts and skirts displayed neatly, looking for something that would hide her curves, this playing a boy was far too useful to lose now. She found a light blue hooded sweater and some dark loose-fitting pants.

    “If I may,” A woman with dark hair and deep grey eyes stepped out of a back room. “I think you should try this one…” She handed Gracy an emerald green bundle and ushered Gracy into a small closet with a floor length mirror.

    Gracy slipped into the outfit, and looked into the mirror. The dark green top fit as if had been made for her, the backless, sleeveless satin draped beautifully across her lightly tanned skin and black pants hung low across her hips, and contoured to each curve. She stood staring at the young woman in the mirror. She had grown up in the little time she had been away, her waist had thinned, and her breasts and hips had filled out a little. She couldn’t fathom how the marines had thought she was a boy.

‘I wonder what Ace would think?’ She shook her head trying to keep the thought out of her head, and changed into the sweater. It hid her curves fairly well, but it still seemed unconvincing.

    “You’ll be taking them both then?” The woman asked as Gracy stepped out of the small room.

“Yes, and can you package this one?” She nodded, holding out the green and black bundle.

    “Oh, and do you have something to make, er, is there a way to…” She stammered, motioning awkwardly at her chest, trying to explain what she was looking for.

“Something to bind your chest? Try this, and see if it does what you’re needing.” She smiled as she pointed Gracy back into the little room.

    Gracy slipped it on and stood looking into the mirror again. Her dark red curls fell around a tanned face, and down over big green eyes. She looked about thirteen.  She stepped back out, pulling the sweater over her head.

“How much? For the, um, thing?”

    “It’s a camisole, and I’ll let you have it. I don’t know what you got yourself into, but I can tell you need it. Do you need me to take away the old cloths?” She smiled. The woman seemed so familiar, yet Gracy knew then had never met.

    “Please do,” Gracy thanked her, counting out the money.

“I hope you find what you are looking for.” The woman said, smiling.

“I don’t even know,” Gracy sighed.

    “I have seen that look before; a long time ago.” The woman sighed nostalgically. “I have done many things since then, and seen many people follow their different paths. But that look in your eyes, you seek peace and freedom. And, dear, I truly hope that you find it.”

    “Can I ask your name? After all you have been so kind.” She needed to thank her, this woman had shown her nothing but kindness.

“You can just call me Jayoo.”

“Thank you, Miss Jayoo. I go by-“

“There is no need. I feel I already know, and it is better if you say no more. Is there someone waiting for you? You had been in such a hurry.”

    She looked down at the bundle clutched in her hands, this was her chance to disappear. He wouldn’t know where to find her. She could vanish into the city and start over. This port was big enough that surely her father would have to pass through at some point. The image of Ace’s smile flashed through her head, his promise to help her achieve her goal, his desperation when he thought she was hurt. Was that family?

“That thing I was looking for? I have already found it.” She smiled at Jayoo and stepped out into the street.

 

    Meanwhile Ace had returned to the ship, hoping that everything was still peaceful. He reluctantly climbed the gangplank onto the deck, not sure what he would find. It was quiet and still, nothing moved. As he made his way below deck several of the men were sitting in the galley talking about the fight the night before.

“Welcome back, Captain.” They slid to the side letting him take the head of the table.

    “So! After last night’s festivities, what do we have for a crew?” He said, taking the seat.

    “The eight of us, and that Crazy B*****d that you brought back last night is still here, he’s down in the hold looking at the empty space and grumbling.”

“Yah.” Ace said, standing back up. “I better go see…”

 

    Tosspint was pacing back and forth, looking at the empty crates and barrels.

“You really got a sour deal with this one,” He said when he heard Ace approaching, “And half your crew has already bailed. You seem to have the devils luck.”

    “I know, and she has quite a bite.” Ace stood up one of the barrels and sat down on it. “Though it doesn’t really bother me. I was surprised that any of them stayed. To be honest I was pretty surprised that you were still here.”

    “So am !I” Tosspint said, leaning against a beam, “But you intrigued me, so I had to stick around to ask you a couple of questions.”

    “I’ll let you start first, then.” Ace said. “But I want to do it this way; for each answer I give I get a question, and for each question you answer you can ask a question. This way we both get what we want.”

“Fine. Why the hell did you save me? The marines could have come at any time, so why did you wait around ?”

    “Well, that’s two questions. The marines were of no concern. My good Luck was taking care of them. And I couldn’t let you get arrested. I was thoroughly impressed with your strength, and I wanted to talk to you when we were sober and calm. Now it’s my turn. Why didn’t you back down, and are you a part of any crew?”  Ace grinned.

    “Pride, and No. Where are you going with this?” Tosspint rubbed the back of his neck, stepping towards the ladder.

    “I want you to join my crew, to be totally blunt with you. Are you interested?” Ace grinned, jumping off the barrel and extending his hand.

    “I might be if I like what you’re offering. Can we stop this damn game?” Tosspint started to accept, but paused.

    “Yes,” Ace said, “Now, I want you on my crew. It’s as simple as that, I was impressed by your strength, and I need men like you, but I need men who I know are loyal.”

“And how will this loyalty be proven? Is there a contract? If there is the answer is no.”

    “No contract and time will prove loyalty. I need genuine loyalty, not men who are bribed or frightened into following me. I need to know that you will follow me into hell, should the need arise.” Ace reached his hand a little further in a last offer.

    “I can’t promise that, but I will sail with you to the next port and determine from there. What type of crew are you gathering? For what purpose?” Tosspint took his hand, shaking it firmly.

    “Oh, that’s easy. I want to see the Empire fall apart, and I want to reach the legendary Free World. I know it sounds a bit romantic, but I want to see a place that we can be free, truly free. Free of the Empire, free from the curse of our bloodlines, free of being cast into a life with no options. Though I will tell you now that we don’t know where we are going yet.”

     Ace stood up, walking towards the stairs. “Luck and I have made it this far, I figure at the worst, we’ll just get delayed by a couple more months.”

    “One more question before I’ll call you Captain. Why did you grab my hat?” Tosspint took his hat off and looked at it for a moment.

“Because I would have wanted you to do the same for me.” Ace shrugged, heading back up.

    “Well then, Captain, I guess I can state my loyalty. That there shows you are a breed all your own.” Tosspint shook his head, adjusting his hat, and following Ace up to the deck. “Though, agreeing to the nonsense I am starting to question my own sanity.”

 

    The sun had almost disappeared behind the roofs of the city as Gracy walked down the pier, receipts tucked neatly in the logbook she had bought, and the few things she had picked up for herself in a little bundle.

    “Luck! I was on my way to look for you.” Ace shouted running down the gangplank, towards her.

”As you can see, there is no need. I placed a couple of orders, did they arrive?”

“I think so, we hauled a bunch of barrels and a couple of crates down to the hold. I see you changed.”

    “Yah, I had to ditch the old cloths to disappear. I had a little money left from when I left the Devils Parlor, so it won’t affect your loot.”

“I didn’t mean it like that.” Ace frowned, looking a little hurt.

“So,” Tosspint interrupted, “This little brat is the First Mate? He seems a little, well-“

    “I don’t want to be the first mate.” She snapped turning on Ace and pushing Tosspint out of her line of sight.

“I know, but I need one, and we are a little short.”

    “I’ll do the work till you find someone, then. But I don’t want the title, so don’t tell anyone else that I am the first mate.” She sighed, heading below deck. Ace caught her arm, holding her captive, and away from the work she needed to do.

    “If you’ll let me try the position on for size, I was a foreman in a mining operation some time back. It’s about the same thing, right? Mostly maintaining order and respect, and keeping things sailing smoothly, so to speak. I imagine this is easier though, because these men want to be here. And if it don’t work out we can part ways at the next port, I understand business.” Tosspint offered.

    She pulled away from Ace, impatient to get the inventory done, and none too pleased that Tosspint was there.

“Luck! Stop for a minute, will ya?” Ace frowned, following her across the deck.

    “Luck, this is Tosspint. He agreed to join our crew, and-” He grabbed her arm again. “Will you pay attention for just a minute?”

    “Hi, Tosspint. Don’t break our captain or our ship.” She pulled away. “Ace, if he wants the first mate job, he can have it. I don’t want anything to do with it. I hate people.”

    Tosspint burst out laughing. “Now I get it, this kid is all bite, and you are all bark, so does that make you co-captains? You herd the kid, he said to give me the job, so what do you say? Give me till the next port, and see how I do. You are the one who demanded my loyalty after all.”

    Ace was looking frustrated. “We are not co-captains, Luck bosses everybody like that. It’s… Um… Luck just treats the people like that when…”

    She stopped halfway down the steps to the hold, turning to glare at them. Ace looked shocked at her temper and Tosspint only laughed a little harder.

    “Look, Tosspint, was it? You beat the hell out of my captain for no reason that I could even begin to understand. I really don’t trust you, and I am going along with this only because my idiot captain said to. I am not a kid. I’m a lot older than you seem think I am, I can assure you. Ace may call me Luck, Hell, I prefer Luck. But my name is Gracy Rowe. Now, let me get this inventory checked so we can set sail. I’ll be the quartermaster, and that’s it. I cook worse than Jiro, so you may want to look for someone who can at least boil eggs before we all starve to death.”

    Tosspint stared gape jawed at Ace, who just shrugged, “That’s about how I felt the first time I met her, but she grows on you. So, let’s get moving first mate.”



© 2014 Kitalia Emme


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on October 20, 2014
Last Updated on October 20, 2014


Author

Kitalia Emme
Kitalia Emme

TX



About
***Sorry for my absence. I lost a husband, fought addiction, and came out stronger that ever. I have been sober for 10 months. I am pulling my life together and healing from my loss (No, I wasn't wi.. more..

Writing