The Old Religion

The Old Religion

A Chapter by Kitalia Emme

Rowtag, God of Fire has been missing since the destruction of the Temple of Rowtag during the genocide of the Xiyifi [Zee-yi-fee] people. The artifact known as the Eye of Rowtag has passed hands many times frequently leading it's possessor to misfortune. Some believe that if one has the knowledge to break the seal then Rowtag will be released and will grand unimaginable power to the person who freed him. While another school of thought states that to harness the power of the artifact one must be the direct decedent of a Xiyifi priestess.

Rowtag is a vicious warrior and is often looked to in times of war as a guide and protector. He is known to be the more vengeful of the gods, having a short temper and a gluttonous lust for self satisfaction. He was prideful and boastful, but was also devoutly loyal to those who were truly passionate for their cause. Legends are told of how he would summon the fires from the very heart of the earth to turn the tide of battle in the favor of those who served him.

He was known to appear in the form of a man with coal black skin and sharp eyes, though it was known that his true for was that of a reptile whose lungs were filled with fire.


Aeolius, God of wind had long ago claimed the kingdoms to the north as his domain. He was fond of the cold and often barren lands that lay beneath the snow. He was a free spirit and a had lust for human women, though it is unknown as to weather any children were sired this way. As the Empire to the south began to gain power and sought to eradicate the Gods he vanished, and he faded into legend. His whereabouts remained unknown, though is is rumored that he has returned to the world beyond, where the gods are said to have originated from.

He was rumored to take the form of a tall thin man with hair as white as snow and eyes that were almost as pale, holding only a tint of icy blue.

He found great amusement in teasing his sister, Cordula, a rivalry that often lead to devastating ends for any swept up in the storm, and seldom showed remorse for his games. Selfish and a known trickster he was the protector of wayward souls and paddlers, the patron saint of travelers, and the father of chaos. It was believed, and is still in some remote places, that he and his sister were what controlled the weather.


Cordula, Goddess of the Sea was once know to harbor the criminals, outcasts, and thieves within the safety of her kingdom. She called many honest men to serve her tirelessly. The restlessness and longing for the sea came to be known as Cordula's Curse. And though she was known as a savior of the damned she was also rumored to be sympathetic to the weak, sickly, and helpless, claiming the lives of entire crews of strong healthy men and sparing the crippled child.

She sheltered many of the islands from the reaches of the empire, under the condition their dwellers follow her laws devoutly. and she refused passage, restricting the empires movements. Within the depths of the seabed she welcomed the Selki, Merfolk, and other manner of mysterious creature, offering them a hidden oasis far from the reaches of humankind.

She was often called the Gem of the Ocean, as she apeared as a beautiful woman with sun gold hair and sea green eyes. She was fickle and though she stole the affections of many, she had a heart that loved none. It was this cold and lustful behavior that lead to her demise when in a jealous rage one of her forgotten lovers plead to the other gods to curse her to 1,000 years of imprisonment. Her heart was sealed in a volt that could only be broken by a truly selfless act and genuine, pure, unconditional love.


Gaia, Goddess of the Earth was the fair and just of the gods. She was sympathetic to humans warning of Cordula's trickery, or Rowtag's temper. Her kindness lead her to fight against the empire in their repeated genocidal acts. As many of the people that fell to the empire were exposed to the bloodshed when Cordula was cursed, she accepted full blame and sacrificed herself to create a wall that no force of man could break, and halting their growth. It was foretold that she would return, having hibernated until her powers could regenerate. It was a fear of this, the the hope it brought that lead the empire to wipe out all traces of the Old Religion.

She was said to take the form of a child with olive skin and dark curls, and was often androgynous in appearance, though she is often depicted in art as a young woman with a slight build, and dark piercing eyes.

Gaia was a healer and midwife, the patron saint of doctors and fertility. Legend says that she is the creator of land, and the youngest of the gods, having been born of a love affair between the sun and the moon, she looked upon the earth that was water, air, and magma and said that life deserved a chance, thus she walked upon the void, calling the terrace from below and allowing for life to form.



Ciro and Inda, the God of Life and Goddess of Death believed to reside in the sun and the moon. They watch the earth from above, never taking interest in the happenings of human kind, and simply maintaining the balance between the dark and light. They are said to have once been lovers who loved so deeply and with such passion that their hearts melted together creating the world.

Their blind passion was ended when the first human asked them who was greater. When they found their answers differed so tremendously selfish pride took hold of the lovers and a fight broke out that ripped the world in two, creating an opposite of everything.

It is said that dusk and dawn are the only time that they put aside their quarrel as one passes the world to the other, so they both may live.

Ciro is the god of light, life, and strength, while Inda is the goddess of darkness, death, and knowledge. Though in time this became forgotten and Ciro and Inda became known as Ciroinda, the creator of all.


© 2015 Kitalia Emme


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on September 16, 2015
Last Updated on September 16, 2015


Author

Kitalia Emme
Kitalia Emme

TX



About
***Sorry for my absence. I lost a husband, fought addiction, and came out stronger that ever. I have been sober for 10 months. I am pulling my life together and healing from my loss (No, I wasn't wi.. more..

Writing