Skin Deep

Skin Deep

A Poem by Kitty Robinson
"

...........................

"

I'm not use to feeling this way,

Until I saw this girl today.

Her skin reminded me of the sun in the sky,

I look down at mine; so dead and so dry.

My faded brown skin could never compete,

Against her shiny surface and little white feet.

I am not proud of the way that I look,

I feel really ugly in this month's yearbook.

Shame, shame is all I can think,

I write "I'm so ugly" on my arm in black ink.

 

My mind is so shook with things that aren't true,

I'm trying my very best to look just like you.

© 2012 Kitty Robinson


Author's Note

Kitty Robinson
...................

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

found it simple and obviously really easy to understand the girl's plight :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow, this is amazing! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a great poem. I bet a lot of people can relate to this, which is sad. We should all embrace who we are and what we are. Otherwise we'd have a pretty depressing life ahead of us. Good work on the poem :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


For those not comfortable with who they are, this will be their song! But, oh how boring, if we all had skin like the sun in the sky and little white feet! Good write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very good work. And I'm sure the majority can relate. But, to everyone who feels like this, the best is to accept yourself for who are, because you can never be enough and good enough to society's standards. Find your true self and recreate it to YOUR OWN standards. Great job though!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow. This is amazingly good. I struggled alot when I was younger with coming to terms with my skin color VS "the ideal", and now, for the most part, I don't let it bother me. But I definately know where you're coming from, and I hope that you can come to terms with your outer beauty, even if it's not the American ideal(: Great poem.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow. This was very well done, and excellently said. It's really a shame when other people judge by looks, skin color, and other things that don't ever really matter. It's what's inside that counts, and you are an excellent writer!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Society put so much emphasis on outward and physical beauty. All too often a persons true beauty, their inner beauty is, is ignored, overlooked, or maybe never even explored at all.
I like the message in this. You did a fantastic job and I'm glad you put this out there!

Posted 11 Years Ago


We are always worry that we are not at good, smart, or pretty as others, but in the end we are who we are and we should always take pride in that. Everyone has their own talents, whether its dancing, singing, or in your case writing =)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aw honey, I love this. I think everyone in the world has had this feeling before. Just remember that you are beautiful inside and out and nothing will ever change that. Even if you're not happy with yourself, others are-- they might not say anything, but it's true. Don't try to make the world happy... Love yourself because you are fabulous!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

567 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 12, 2012
Last Updated on July 12, 2012
Tags: depressed

Author

Kitty Robinson
Kitty Robinson

Montgomery, AL



About
I'm 14 years old and I'm and aspiring Author/Poet. I love writing short stories, poems, and my opinions on what I think about things. I am going into the 9th grade next year and I hope to uplift my wr.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


SOME NIGHTS SOME NIGHTS

A Poem by afra