A Way with Words

A Way with Words

A Story by Kelly James Bonewell

 

My mother, as early as I can remember had her sense of the oldest memories. Like all children, I was nine and went to my grandfather, across the street. Looking back, it seems to me the city where we were raised was in the habit of constantly revisiting the old companions.

I learned about winter, because I knew from our savannas that we did not experience their monuments of mossy field. When I first saw the shimmering, my response had been prepared by the sense of landscape. But one’s sense of the possibilities of form and patterns came to me by the cadences of language. Above all, we learned in a world where ordinary pleasure and tradition was national history—that there was a way with words— something of everyday language and everyday talk could be had.

 

Sometime in my late teens, one summer holiday, I weighed into that generation whose definitive introduction and answer was no more different or profound than something that was signed by the author. That second rolling line with a strong propulsive line: striking, rigorous and lucid.

 

We meet at the crossroads and when we reach the center where two words and references make sense, one must see it. With the growth of post-Second World War values, the beginnings of the proliferation of command and subtleties also required investment, culture, institution, reflection, education and what they called évoluer. This was not an emphasis shared by a later development in the more controversial writings. More than this, it is a central fact that the same modes of differences were first studied by a fundamentally soft-spoken audience. Often with their participation and accompaniment, the quality of the total performance was nevertheless defined by the text—the script—where we speak of good and bad. For one thing, the natural way to think of all this, is in part, because what was handed down was almost always “certain structures:” the plot, certain phrases and formulas, perhaps some songs and certainly, performance. The centrality of verbal performance in our family helps account for the fact that scores of extraordinary situations arose in direct proportion to the preponderance of questions that are political in the broadest sense. Issues of kinship and kingship, marriage and possession run through out the subject. Without the inevitable, the questions that engaged them most made possible the broadest sense of the unusual focus: the class of the educated.

 

With all this, it is one of the greatest ironies that the concept most central to that reflection—the very idea of resistance and heirs—was that in their common search for independence from a fact, they were able to articulate together about the tradition on which they began. The irony here is compounded if we reflect that since this mutual knowledge brought together a shared relationship that was modern and global like others—a shared point of reference—we can begin to notice that thing was much more a result of reflected sympathy rather than hostility. It was nourished in the largest number of universities, in journals, perhaps not surprising that it was home of the some of the finest dramatic works of our time, but that we felt the urge to fit simply into the narrative. In short, we lived with some of these more recent perspectives knowing that to construct a representative of what  we were attempting would take more than a thousand languages and to put it mildly, some considerable and obvious concepts that eventually lead to dialogue, commonalities, older forms and alien models. This rich cultural brew, something a making of our own.

 

All this being said, I will summarize; I learned in my childhood that once you sit with long periods present, but not pressing, suddenly you remind yourself that you still have things more to say.

© 2008 Kelly James Bonewell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

53 Views
Added on February 12, 2008