a hot one

a hot one

A Story by kjstevens
"

blog entry

"

 

April 22nd, 2008

7:50 pm

 

Will be a hot one today. That clear sky and the sun already beating down. A bright morning. As if everything is wrapped in tin foil. The eyes do not have it. The patience for such a bright morning. Not here, with sunlight beaming on concrete, metal, and glass.

 

Today, I wish we were waking by Grand Lake. That it was all eggs over-easy, bacon and buttered toast. That we’d sit outside on the deck by our small wooden table and bring in the day with orange juice and coffee. Just the three of us. Me, S.B. and Little Man. Fresh faced and feeling good because we are out in the northern air. Away from the freeways, the lights, the noises at night, and able to write and paint, fish and play, read and relax for the summer.

 

That’s what drives me these days. To keep at the keys. Maintain my aim. This—the morning vision of waking up north by the lake—is something in our future. I’m working with the assumption that my writing will help get us there. Certainly, there are no guarantees. The future is far off. We must savor the now of the day. But if we work, we must work for the things we love. Keep steady. Stay true.

 

That’s it, and that’s what all of us should do.

 

We’ve made it through another Michigan winter. Are shaking off the tireds. Wiping away the sleep. Stretching, so that blood can run deep. Wake our senses to see beyond the white and gray of yesterday and embrace this greening world. The birds—big bellied and busy with nests—snapping worms from the ground. Squirrels shedding winter weight with high-wire acts and great leaps from tree to tree to tree. People everywhere. Emerging from their slumber. On bikes and on foot. In cars and planes. On stoops and decks. Thanking God for the sun.

 

But the sun’s always been here.

 

All it ever takes is a little digging.

 

To push away the snow.

 

Concentration.

 

To chip away the ice.

 

A willingness to break free from the surface. The cold distractions of the day-to-day-to-day. And to recognize our strength at the core.

 

We can weather anything. If we start at the center and warm from the inside out.

 

Keep on keepin’ on…

~ K.J.

 

(copyright © 2008 by K.J. Stevens)

© 2008 kjstevens


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

kj, i cant recall reading a blog, so the entire asopect really intrigued me with detail, the peaceful
analogy, the way you subtly harmonize the nature, with painted detail, this is well written, and takes
the reader to the place you gracefully describe, i really enjoyed reading this depthfully charged
reflection, introspective, the entire environment comes to life in your words, excellent entry thanks

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 22, 2008

Author

kjstevens
kjstevens

Westland, MI



About
Writer. 34 years old. Michigander. Here to meet writers, editors, agents, publishers. People who love words. Love the act of writing. Keep on keepin' on... more..

Writing
intent intent

A Story by kjstevens


steady aim steady aim

A Story by kjstevens