Regret

Regret

A Story by klaus
"

Short story, I appreciate constructive criticism, or just criticism if you need to vent.

"

The elderly man, back ever so slightly hunched ran his hand up and down the rough redwood wall until his callused fingers rested upon a much smoother surface. There was a soft click and the lights awoke, blinking at first but then sustain the light that revealed the interior of the barn and its cherished centre piece. “There she is,” The old man spoke softly a nostalgic smile formed on his wrinkled countenance.

“She?” His companion, only just more than half his age enquired.

“Look at her,” The old man slowly advanced towards the deep red 1950’s, Holden ute that proudly sat in the middle of the room “There is a softness to her,” He said kneeling and running his hand over the bubble like wheel arch “A femininity that one could only associate with a belle,” He craned his head to face his son “I know you don’t share the passion I do but surely you can see my point. The younger of the men starred at the ute, straining to see his father’s reason “It’s hard for me to say, to me it is just a car,” The father nodded the same way he did all other manner of things; slowly.

“I guess to me she represents more. She is freedom, an escape, something I can love without fear of it hurting me, I suppose to you it represents naught,”

“Not quite,” The young man folded his arm, his brow stern “To me it represents isolation, rejection, a father that scared to raise his own son, this car torments me,” The old man was still, taking in what his son had just said at his own cumbersome pace. Eventually he rose and after another moments deliberation opened the passenger door.

“Get in, son,” The young man was opted to stay put.

“Where do you intend to go?”

“To the wrecking yard,” Another smile graced the old man’s face, but this time not a nostalgic one but one that had not before been seen by his son “To bury the hatchet,”

© 2014 klaus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on August 6, 2014
Last Updated on August 6, 2014

Author

klaus
klaus

Writing
Darkness Darkness

A Story by klaus


Peaceful Peaceful

A Story by klaus


Fireflies Fireflies

A Story by klaus