Fireflies

Fireflies

A Story by klaus

He was on his way out of this world, I could tell. It shouldn't have been like this, he dedicated his life to others, was selfless, yet it was only I who was here to console him in his dying moments. I wasn't good at this, I hadn't been in a situation like this before but I always struggled talking about deep subjects with other people, I could never voice how I felt. 
His scanned the room as though making sure it truly was just me by his side, his gaze than fell on me "All these years," His voice was only just audible, his face pained but not from physical discomfort "I have been on the Earth all these years and I feel like I have done nothing to make it a better place," My heart sank, he should not feel this way, a charitable man, and I certainly should not be the one to try and tell him otherwise but I guess I had to try, for his sake if not for anything else.
"Have you heard of bioluminescence?" A perplexed look spread across his face and he eventually shook his head, so I continued "Bioluminescence is a unique process that occurs only in creatures that have particular organs in their bodies. Fireflies possess these organs and because they have these organs the have the ability to create light. I can't say for sure but I reckon the rest of the creatures in the animal kingdom wish they too had this wonderful ability, but they shouldn't be jealous, they should be thankful, thankful that the fireflies transform the dull of the night into one of God's masterstrokes. Yet you too have this talent, there has never been dark around you but even more so you have used the talent to illuminate a brighter path for those around. I strongly oppose the gesture that you have done nothing to make the world a better place. Simply by existing the firefly improves the otherwise drab canvas the dark offers, but you have done so much more than exist and have shone brighter as a result." I could see the pain had almost disappeared from his countenance "The night won't be as bright without you," A smile now made its way onto his previously grim face.
"At least I am now okay with that," The pain was had now deserted his face and would cease to return forevermore.
 

© 2014 klaus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was such a touching story, and so well written that I had to be sure it placed in my contest. I like how you brought the theme in, but didn't make it the main point of the story. Instead it was about the old man being comforted in his final hours. It is amazing how much one person can effect the world around them without even realizing it. Many do the world bad, but the ones who change it for the better need to be praised and recognized, even if it is just by a few. Brilliant work. The only suggestion I would give is to break the second paragraph up into smaller ones so it is a little more organized. The content was perfect.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Hi Klaus, your kind comment led me to your writing, i really love this piece. It is a common feeling to feel useless and i believe you've portrayed that very well in an alternate form. I will keep looking for more posts on your behalf.

Regards,

YM

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 6, 2014
Last Updated on August 6, 2014

Author

klaus
klaus

Writing
Darkness Darkness

A Story by klaus


Peaceful Peaceful

A Story by klaus


Regret Regret

A Story by klaus