1) Light in the Dark

1) Light in the Dark

A Chapter by Kelly M.

A misty grey-blue streaked the sky that brisk December afternoon, as the howling wind sent another shudder through the small, one-room schoolhouse.  All heads, bent over studiously, came up quickly, eyes alert.  Their teacher, Ms. Brooke, who was, indeed, just a student herself, roused her slender frame from her chestnut colored desk, following their gazes out the window.  Her gentle blue eyes searched the dark clouds above that warned them of an expectant storm, trying to conceal the worried frown upon her brow.  Her eyes shifted to the clock, then back again.  Already, snowflakes were dancing merrily down to earth, creating a sheet of white across the vast, prairie land.

She turned to her students.  "Class is dismissed," she announced.

There was a clamber as students grabbed notebooks, making a hurried skip out the creaky school door.

"Don't dawdle," she called to them, as she, herself, began to hurriedly arrange the classroom into order again for the next morning.  One never knew what the weather held when living out in the great West.

~*~

"Come on, Carrie," moaned thirteen year old Nathaniel, who was watching his sister amble her way up the hilltop, stopping once in a while to pick the wild flowers that were just beginning to bloom along the hillside.

"Just a minute, Nathan," she called.  "I think Mama would like it if I made her a bouquet of these flowers."

"Well," scoffed her older brother, "I think she may like it better if we're on time for supper.  We still have some ways to go and you're holding us up with your dawdling."

She didn't bother to argue, but skipped along beside her brother, trying her best to keep up with his brisk pace.

"I know a shortcut through the woods," he told her, as he motioned for her to follow him.

She tripped up the steep hill in submission, but halted when they got to the edge of the woods.  She peered in to see a snake-like river slithering through the eerie forest, hearing an owl hooting in the distance, and a rustling, which revealed that of some animal, hidden in the fallen leaves.  

"It looks scary in there," she whispered.  "Are you sure we shouldn't take the normal way?"

"Don't be such a scaredy cat," he teased.  "Besides, if we don't get home on time, Mama will have our hides.  We still have a load of chores to do before supper, so come on."

She followed, though hesitantly.  She didn't like it.  Not one bit.

~*~

Minutes passed, and slowly turned to hours.  Snowflakes tumbled down to earth without pause, and soon the familiar woodland was a winter wonder of white.

"Nathan," Carrie whispered, her voice holding a slight tremble, "I-- I think we're going in circles."

Nathan paused for a moment, seeming a little worried as well, though he tried to keep his tone light and casual.

"It just all looks familiar, because of the snow," he said simply.  Then, taking her arm, he steered her forward.  Carrie hovered against him, shivering from the cold.

Like a blanket had been draped over the sun, daylight had suddenly turned to darkness, and the two siblings stumbled along woodenly, numb from the bitter wind.  Nathan had lost all course of direction, as the snow kept falling, heavier and heavier, blinding them from sight.

"Nathan," she cried from her numbed lips, well aware that they were lost, said, "what are we going to do?  We're going to freeze to death out here."

He was unable to answer her without his words being caught and swept away by the howling wind.  They continued to trudge on, desperately trying to stay warm.  Fervent prayers were lifted up to their Savior for some shelter of safety, though it seemed certain that they were close to their fates.  Carrie was ready to fall to her knees, wishing to die and not continue to suffer in the agonizing cold, and Nathan was just as bereft of any hope of survival.  But, then, almost unrecognizable, shined a miracle from afar.

"Carrie," Nathan managed a murmured gasp.  "Look!"

There was a faint light gleaming out through the darkness.  Never had the two siblings felt so dreadfully relieved and joyous as they made painstaking effort to crawl their way to the distant cabin where the lantern was aglow, urging their frozen limbs to cooperate.

Once reaching the tumble-down lodging, they stumbled in without thought of knocking, and fell to the floor, unconscious of a creaking cane thumping its way over to the youngsters, and a shadow falling across them.  Suddenly, everything went black. 



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
Cliffhanger!! 0_0

Very first chapter and I'd truly appreciate any feedback or criticism whatsoever :D

~Reviews are appreciated~ :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a really good first chapter. You know me, LOVE christian romance.:) I'm very eager to find out what this book will turn into!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Kelly M.

11 Years Ago

Aww, thanks!! I'm really excited about this book (I pretty much have it all figured out), but I'm w.. read more
ooooo i like this very much. Very enchanting... though the mood is sort of full of despire i do feel enchanted by the piece.. I like ur dialogue because it distinguishes the younger sister from the older brother. make sure and keep tht consistent :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh this book is very good! I'm gonna have to go back to the older book and review the chapters I forgot to review. I love the beginning chapter very much. The detail and progress you've had since the first book has been amazing! :)

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh yay I've been waiting for this book to be posted :D Nice fist chapter. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 10, 2012
Last Updated on February 12, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.