Degeneration of Society

Degeneration of Society

A Poem by kayla

What's it called when "making fun" isn't fun anymore?

When an elementary school girl is lying dead on the floor.

What happens when the school didn't do anything to stop it?

When the parents called the principal and he said to drop it.

 

What's it called when a place of learning is no longer safe?

When there's more security then teachers ascending the place.

What happens when there's a lockdown at the local high school?

When some teenager brought a gun and is acting a fool?

 

What's it called when a girl at a college party decided to say "no"?

When he has his way anyways, and then calls her a teasing hoe.

What happens when she makes a report and says she was drunk?

When the security gaurds dismiss it cuz "she was asking for some".

 

What's it called when it's not safe to live with people, or alone?

When the street lights come on you feel you'd better be home.

What happens when you don't feel comfortable walking down the street?

When you can't make eye contact without losing sleep.

 

What's it called when violence is way too close to home?

When you never feel safe and you know you're not alone.

 

© 2012 kayla


Author's Note

kayla
tell me what you think

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Loved it, it is very expressive and bring a message, it makes us think, every stanza is like saying "Beware, look at what our society is becoming!". That's def going to my favourites, I will read it more times, it makes me think a lot, it deserves a second, a third and even a forth read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


The first stanza hit home for me. I was bullied in grade school. The principal told my folks that she would bring us in and talk with us, but she never did. The group of girls tried to block me from getting in my granddad's truck. That night, my mother taught me how to fight, giving me the lifelong tip to 'always go for the main one. When you get the main one, the others will fall back'. The very next morning, as expected, the main girl approached me. That was when I slammed her in the head with a metal lunch pail. Needless to say, my mother was right. Some people just won't let you "walk away".

Nobody is listening to kids anymore, and this is why we have students opening fire in schools. I like how you touched on these subjects. I look forward to reading more from you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


kayla

11 Years Ago

thanks(: I'm glad that you enjoyed this poem and could relate.
Can't say society was much better in the past; we've always had our problems.

Still, this world is full of awful and it's really a shame. You express that well here.

Posted 11 Years Ago


amen. the rhythm and rhyme in this is actually sick. the questions you ask here are definitely the questions a lot of people are too afraid to ask in society. but the saddest thing is the people who f**k it up are the people who blame it. a really truthful poem. again well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very honest poem about how s**t society is nowadays. I wish I were alive in the past, when society was actually decent, or something like that. You amazed me with the drunk college girl part, that always gets overlooked and not many people heed much attention to it. Well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I loved this poem, the endless questions of what's and whens. Because these questions aren't addressed enough in today's society. I liked "What's it called when it's not safe to live with people, or alone?" Actually, I think it's called Paranoia, but I honestly loved this. A good read.


Posted 11 Years Ago


kayla

11 Years Ago

lol. Thank you(:

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

369 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 10, 2012
Last Updated on July 10, 2012
Tags: safety, security, political

Author

kayla
kayla

Los Angeles, CA



About
Becoming active on this site again! Originally started my account as teenager, but am a young woman now with hopefully still just as much to say. I write mostly poetry (but occasionally short stori.. more..

Writing
Familiar Familiar

A Poem by kayla



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I wish... I wish...

A Poem by kayla