Chapter Four: The Weakness

Chapter Four: The Weakness

A Chapter by Klyflyhigh

“Hello?”

 Awakened by the constant ring, Kevin sluggishly picked up and answered the phone.

 “Good morning, Kevin. Mr. Singh here. I’m having breakfast at the coffee shop with someone I would like you to meet. Can you make it, say, in about twenty minutes? This is important, okay?”

“Sure, be right down in twenty.” Kevin said and hung up the phone. He pulled off the covers as he got to his feet. Kevin took a long look at Carolina, and gave her a peck on the cheek.

“I need to go to work. Stay and sleep some more. You can order anything from the room service. I’ll be right back before lunch. Okay?” Kevin whispered as he kissed Carolina.

“Uh huh, okay. Lunch.” Carolina responded, still very sleepy, as Kevin touched her face and whispered good-bye in her ear. In a jiffy, he stepped out of the room.

#

Down at the coffee shop, Kevin approached the table where Mr. Singh and this fellow, Mr. Mike Long, were having their breakfast and their discussion.

“Good morning, gentlemen. I hope I didn’t interrupt anything.” Kevin said, shaking Mr. Singh’s hand.

“Kevin, this is Michael Long.” Mr. Singh said. “He works with us under Mr. Fatou’s Science Branch.”

Mr. Long stood up and offered his hand.

“I’ve heard a lot about you.” He said, shaking Kevin’s hand with vigor.

“I hope they are all good.” Kevin countered and returned the favor, as he let out a muffled laugh.

“Here, c’mon Kevin, take a seat.” Mr. Singh interrupted, pointing at the seat on his left side, and continued to ask as he waved to summon one of the servers, “What would you like to order?”

“Brewed Coffee and Eggs Benedict.” Kevin instructed the server.

Throughout breakfast, Mike Long continued on with his discussion about yesterday’s report with Mr. Singh, as Kevin quietly observed and listened to what was being discussed.

All of a sudden, Mr. Long stopped talking, took a glance at Kevin, and asked, “By the way, what is your personal take on this project we’re working on?”

Taken off guard, Kevin settled down the cup of coffee he was sipping and gazed back at Mike Long and answered him with sarcasm.

“I made the presentation yesterday, didn’t I? As per your research at the Science Branch, the findings you guys made are those data I reported to the committee. But as far as I’m concerned, the input your branch had provided us are less than accurate. And I’m not comfortable with the results.”

“What about the studies we’re doing presently about the greenhouse effect,” Mike Long pushed on, “Like the time frame which we had arrived at? Is everything precise as to the time and budget we are working with at the moment?”

“Mike, why don’t we continue this conversation, say, at dinner tonight?” Mr. Singh interjected, “Let’s meet at the lobby bar around 6:30pm, okay? See you later, gentlemen?”

“But, sir, I have a dinner date tonight.” Kevin announced in his deep voice.

“I’m okay with it!” Mr. Long remarked.

“Kevin, as I have told you many times about the importance of our conference here in Kenya, let me please remind you again, I will be requiring your presence at dinner tonight."  Mr. Singh’s eyes focused hard on Kevin’s face as he waited for Kevin to agree. Without saying any word, Kevin nodded his head and took a sip of water from his glass.

“Excuse me, gentlemen. I need to get down to the office now. Mr. Singh, would you like to ride with me?”  Kevin said, standing up.

“Sure! Let me get my briefcase, and I’ll be right back.” Singh said, and turned to address Mr. Long, “Mike thanks for the breakfast. I’ll be expecting you tonight.”

“Yeah, sure thing.” Mike Long replied, turned to Kevin, and said, “And Kevin, I’ll be expecting you too.”

Kevin gave Mr. Long a slight nod.

#

On the way to the UN office, Kevin remained silent, and Mr. Singh sensed the awkwardness inside the limo, said,

“Kevin, I need your full presence and attention in all the negotiations I will be conducting while we are here in Nairobi. You will still back me up if ever, won’t you?”

“By all means, Sir! Should there be anything you require, please inform me.” Kevin, a little annoyed, snapped back.

“My, my, aren’t we a bit crummy this morning?” Mr. Singh retorted, shifting his gaze to Kevin. “Listen, you are my Executive Assistant, my right hand. You’re familiar with all my work, so I expect you to always rise up to the occasion. Let me give you a piece of advice, Kevin. Relax, and I guarantee you, everything will be fine. And that’s the exact reason I need you to be with me at dinner tonight. Do you have a problem with that?”

“No, Sir, I don’t. I’ll cancel my dinner appointment tonight.” Kevin said.

“And may I know whom you’ll be having dinner with tonight?” Mr. Singh inquired.

Not knowing what to answer, Kevin tried to change the subject.

“By the way, Sir, are you aware the committee might raise our budget by about seventy-five percent from the original one? This is the information from the grapevine.” Kevin said.

“Yes, Kevin.” Mr. Singh replied, “The good Director Mcvet had mentioned it to me during one of our private cocktail meetings. He wanted to find out my take and what I think about how the Science Branch would react. By the way, who is your dinner date tonight?” Singh insisted.

“Sir, a cute lady I met at a Chinese restaurant last night when I went out for a midnight snack of warm Chinese noodles. You know how I always crave for food when I couldn’t sleep. It’s my kind of therapy that helps me calm down.” Kevin replied.

“Okay, let’s get to work. I’ll meet you tonight.”  Mr. Singh said as they arrived at the UN office building.

#

Later, at around 11:45 in the morning, Kevin called his hotel suite. Carolina immediately picked up the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hi! How are you doing this morning? Are you ready for lunch? What would you like to have? Or rather, where are you taking me this time?” Kevin blurted out.

“I’m okay, dear,” Carolina answered, “I’m fine this morning. I had coffee and croissants for breakfast, took a shower, and I’m all dressed up now. Can we drop by my apartment, so I can change into some fresh clothes? I would really appreciate it.”

“Sure, of course! My pleasure.” Kevin responded, “I’ll be there in twenty."

Kevin hung up the phone, still thinking about tonight’s dinner with Mike Long, Mr. Singh, and probably Mr. Fatou, who was not expected but might also show up. He went to the elevator sighing as he pushed the down button and waited. As the elevator door opened, Kevin was surprised to see Mr. Singh and Mr. Fatou together again discussing some matters. Unsure whether to get in or stand there, Kevin interrupted while stepping into the elevator.

“Hello gentlemen, how are you today? Are you going out for lunch?”

“Well, quite busy today, Kevin. How about you? Out for lunch?” Mr. Fatou replied.

“Yes, I’m going out for lunch.” Kevin retorted as the elevator reached the ground floor.

“I’ll see you tonight, Sir.” Kevin continued, speaking to Mr. Singh, who just nodded, as they all walked out of the elevator.

Out of the building, Kevin hailed a taxi, got in, and gave the hotel’s name and address. Instead of using the UN’s limo service, Kevin thought it would be wiser to take a cab. Upon arrival at the hotel, he paid the driver, leaving the change. He went into the hotel, and already waiting for him in the lobby lounge was the beautiful Carolina, who stood up, waved, and walked towards him.

“Hi Dear, how’s work this morning?” She asked sweetly.

“It’s okay, lots of paperwork as usual, but all done with them. So where are we going?”

“My apartment first, and then to a nice French restaurant very near my place.”

“Alright, let’s go.” Kevin said as they got out of the hotel to get another taxi.

Soon the cab arrived at Carolina’s place down on Kanyon Drive. With Kevin accompanying her, Carolina got the things she needed and quickly changed into a new set of freshly clean clothes. Afterwards, they headed for a little walk towards the French Dine-in, half a block from her apartment. As they entered the restaurant, the Manager welcomed them gracefully as he set them onto Carolina’s favorite table. Seated comfortably, they ordered entrees from the menu as soon as one of the waiters approached their table. Along came another waiter and served them different kinds of French bread and and bowls of French Onion Soup as appetizers of the day. The two started with the soup, and not long after, their orders came in.

“By the way, I’m sorry, but I have to work tonight. I have this meeting and all. I hope that’s okay with you?” Kevin informed Carolina, as they were enjoying their three-course lunch at the restaurant.

“Sure. No problem. I also need to get some supplies for the bar, so I might as well come in early to work tonight.” She responded, quite dismayed.

“Hey, come on, I will meet you at the bar later tonight after the meeting. I promise.” Kevin reacted, reaching over and placing his hand over hers.

“I said it’s no problem.”

#

Alone by the bar down at the lobby, Mike Long sighted Kevin and approached him with a warm handshake.

 “Good evening, Kevin. I’m afraid Mr. Singh will not be joining us for dinner tonight. It will only be just the two of us. I hope it is okay with you. He said he might join us later after dinner.”

“Why didn’t he call me or at least leave me a message?” Kevin, a little annoyed, retorted.

“This is his message. When we rode back together from the UN office this afternoon, he felt ill all of a sudden and said that he needed to retire to his room and take a rest. He insisted that I should still have the meeting with you regardless. Shall we?” Mike pointed at the lobby lounge, leading the way.

“Is this meeting truly important?” Kevin, still a little dismayed at the news, spoke out. “Maybe we can do this some other time when Mr. Singh can join us? I have other important matters I need to attend to.” 

“Yes, this is important, quite important if I may point out. For the project to go ahead and move on, I will need your utmost cooperation in this matter. And also, according to Mr. Singh, you are most capable to decide and handle everything in his absence and your decision will be honored as if he made the approval himself. Am I correct here, Kevin?”

Not waiting for any reply from Kevin, Mike Long gestured to the server and asked for a table for two. They were seated, and after taking their orders, the waiter left and returned with their food about half an hour later.

Silent as he picked at his plate, Kevin listened with little interest as Mike Long continued with his litany as to his position concerning the budget needed for the Science Bureau.

“I will be straight with you, Kevin. We need the funding from the committee, and we require your bureau’s cooperation on this. Please understand our branch is relying on Mr. Singh and your bureau’s support. All we need are the funding and the budget up to 2030. We are okay with these, don’t you agree, Kevin?” Mike pleaded.

In silence, Kevin placed down his fork back on his plate, picked up his napkin from his lap, wiped his lips, and took a sip of water from his glass.

“Mike,” He said. “I don’t know you at all, whether about your personal life, or about your work here in the UN. However, this I can tell you. I am always in contact with your boss, Mr. Fatou. All transactions and dealings between your bureau and mine always go through Mr. Fatou and Mr. Singh.  Now, tell me your boss’s position in this proposal you are explaining to me.” He gazed straight into Mike’s eyes, searching for any clue of any uneasiness as he waited for Mike to reply.

A little edgy, Mike moved conspiratorially towards Kevin.

“Listen, Kevin,” Mike whispered, “I am here with the blessings of Mr. Fatou and your boss, Mr. Singh. In reality, they are the ones who made all the plans and arrangements with this project, and also with regards to these budget adjustments. I am just the messenger, Kevin. All I need from you is the confirmation that you will cooperate in this project, and I will forward the information to them.”

“And what if I don’t?”  Kevin cut Mike off, not able to hide his anger. “What are you going to do? Break my legs? Ha! C’mon, Mike. We’re diplomats, not gangsters. You can do better than that.”

“Right, you are right, Kevin.” Mike insinuated with absolute calmness, “We - and I mean we - can do so much more than to break your legs.”

A slight shiver went up the spine of Kevin as he heard those words.

“Are you threatening me, Mike?” Kevin asked, building up his courage. “You know what, I don’t have to sit here and listen to you and all this bull. I have better things to do. So my advice is, talk this over with Mr. Singh, and we’ll proceed from there.”

Without any warning, Kevin stood up, and left three hundred dollars on the table, and pronounced, “Thanks Mike for the wonderful dinner. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’d rather be in some place enjoying the night than sitting and having dinner here with you.”

“Listen, Kevin. I would consider all the discussions we had this evening. If I were you, I would think twice.” Mike said with intimidation, in a voice trying hard to suppress his disappointment.

“Sorry Mike, and thanks for the advice. But I am not you!” Kevin said, as he turned around and walked indignantly towards the exit and into the main lobby.

Kevin stepped out of the hotel, and decided to walk to the Purple Tavern to release the steam from the heated arguments with Mike Long. Too stressed out and busy with himself, he didn’t notice three unidentified men following him right after he left the hotel, as he walked down the street.

#

Kevin arrived at the Tavern, and went straight to the bar to search for Carolina, who was then busy talking to some customers. He ordered a single malt scotch neat from the bartender, and gulped it all down in one shot. He ordered another glass from the bartender, as the three men entered the Tavern unnoticed. They went directly to the bar, and began to talk among themselves. The bartender, who was observing the three men, approached them and asked for their orders. As the bartender served their drinks, the three men continued with their conversation. At this time, Carolina spotted Kevin and waved at him as she walked towards him.

“I’m sorry for the way I behaved this afternoon.” Carolina whispered sweetly, as she kissed him on the cheek, “I was expecting us to go out tonight. Anyway, here you are, earlier than I expected. I guess all’s well that ends well, as the saying goes. Forgive me, okay?”

Still unmindful of the three men, Kevin embraced Carolina with one arm.

“Everything’s okay. No problem at all.” Kevin said.

“Hey! C’mon, let’s sit down. Do you want to stay upstairs? It’s more private and relaxing. You seem so stressed out. Is everything alright? You need to chill, so let’s go upstairs and let me calm you down.” Carolina suggested.

On hearing this, the three men went ahead upstairs, and settled down at a table where they can see and listen to everything around the area.

Kevin ordered drinks for the two of them with a slight gesture of his hand, and lumbered up the stairs to the second floor, where he was still unaware of the three men seated at the table and talking among themselves.

After about an hour or so, the three men stood up, went down the stairs, and left the Tavern. Outside, they went to a parked taxi and knocked on the window four times. The doors on the passenger side opened, letting them into the cab, where two of them got in the back seat and one in the front. Quite relaxed with a cigar in his hand as he observed the three men while they entered the cab, seating comfortably behind the driver was Mr. Singh.

 “Well, anything on our boy?” He asked as the three men settled into the cab.

“Yes, sir.” said one of the men, “We know his weakness.”



© 2013 Klyflyhigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on May 12, 2013
Last Updated on May 12, 2013