The Fifth blessing -

The Fifth blessing -

A Chapter by R S Mclean
"

A world where people have blessings which grant them superhuman abilities like speed , strength and intelligence. In the town of Ellen field a man comes to recruit the brightest prospects for war.

"

Chapter One



He was late for dinner, no matter if he had the blessing of speed and strength to aid him as he ran through the forest trail that was slowly growing darker as the sun was beginning to set behind him.

Too much time working down the fields outside of the town, where he had lived his short life.


With pace like the wind he came to the end of a path in seconds, kicking the leaves into the air as he darted along, leaving a trail of green and browns that floated back down to the ground.


He could see smoke from a chimney in the not too far distance as he covered small hills, when he reached the summit of the hill he bent his knees and jumped twenty feet into the air. Gliding through the sky with the wind lashing against him. His brown shirt flapping in the wind. He landed with strong knees aided by the blessing of strength. Not even feeling the impact. His mother stood at the front of there small cottage house. Her arms folded.

''Hi mum. '' He said as he gave her a smile and a hug.

She pushed his back into the house where his two brothers sat down at a square table with frowns on there faces waiting for dinner. Or waiting for him to come home so they could have dinner.

His older brother Devlan rolled his eyes as he sat across from him. ''Rodric. How can someone with the gift of speed always be so late. ''

''I was busy catching hounds for farmer warren outside of town.'' Rodric said keen to defend himself, especially when his brother Devlan was having his daily go at him.'' He needed someone with some strength and speed to round them up. ''

''And does he not have his own boys for working. I am sure the oldest son of Warren has the endurance ability, and he has speed himself. '' Mother said while setting the plates.

''He is rather old though. '' His younger brother Berdan said as he faced his head at the pie mother had made for them.

''Age does not stop you from using your blessings. '' Devlan said without conviction. Looking to his mother to back up his claim.

''You are correct son. I have seen old Warren move fast enough when he wants or needs. ''

Devlan had a smug look on his face as mother portioned out the meals between them.

''You got lucky.'' Berdan said as he giggled at the prospect of a meal.


He always cared for the simple things in life. But his lust for food could not be helped. He had the blessing of the senses and the smell of mothers cooking at times made him restless, like a dog. Berdan stayed in when the sun was out. His eyes had not yet developed a tolerance to the brightness of the sun on his sensitive eyes. If he went out he would have to wear thin leather patches over his face. And he always wore gloves which he claimed he could feel through. His other blessing he had was composure, he was always calm and collected, except for dinner time, no blessing of composure could stop him becoming restless. And he was only ten. Six years Rodric's junior.


''Luck has nothing to do with it little brother. '' Devlan said as he began to cut into his portion of pie and mix it with the boiled green vegetables mother served before drowning it in gravy.''


Devlan was tall and had long curly locks that tumbled down his neck and rested on his shoulders. The freckles that resided on his cheeks made him look young and innocent, which he was far from. Devlan was very confident and popular throughout the town. He had one of the most inviting faces a man could ever wish to ask. And having the blessings of speech like mother made things a lot easier for him. And he also shared speed. A blessings they both received from there father who had passed away. Berdan had not received any of the traits of their mother and father, instead he gained the blessings senses from there great uncle who was a famous runner and scout for the local army over a hundred years ago. Their famous great uncle had the blessing of sense and speed. He never found out what his third blessing was. The one he gained when he was sixteen and had his snapping.


Snapping he had learn was the term the local people used when a persons third ability would come alive within them. Within the first week of their sixteenth birthday they would see men either running or lifting weights trying to gain the appropriate blessing. The third and final blessing was always tricky and in most cases down to pure luck.


If a person snapped when they were sleeping then they would not gain any blessing. Unless they were one of the very rare people in the world who had the mythical blessing of dreams. But those were only told in stories. So if one wanted to gain a particular blessing then they would have to do the thing in which their blessing would enhance, and hope they snapped at the right time.

Although it was not very common for people to get their third blessing right, still there was enough of them round for it not to be rare.

Devlan had practised fighting for a full week, until the day he snapped while training one on one and gained the blessing every warrior desires. The blessing of awareness.


No member of their family that spanned back generations had ever held the blessing of awareness and mother had said that their father would have been prouder than any man alive had he lived to see it. But that had not stopped mother crying, and it did not stop her worrying that one day Devlan may march away to war. Away from the quiet town of Ellen. Men who could speak to a crowd, move like the wind and be fully aware of their surroundings were considered dangerous men in an army. And some of the greatest heroes the storytellers told were men who all had that blessing. Devlan claimed one day that he could be aware of a man firing an arrow from hundred of feet away.


They all sat in silence as they ate dinner. In his house they always were silent at dinner time. As if all were in agreement that when there was food to be eaten they would stop there teasing and mischief. His mother was always grateful for that moment. Even if she did hide it well.

His mother had the blessing of Speech and comfort. She always had the right words to say and she always made him feel safe. And at times he wondered if that was her natural skills as a person, or mother, or it was an effect of the blessing. Perhaps both.


He managed to funnel his food down his throat in a rush, it was two days before his birthday and he had yet to decided what blessings he would work to obtain for when his snapping came.


He looked up at his mother who sat at the end of the table with a small portion for herself. Taking small bites as she looked round the table at her children, happy as she had ever been in her life. Even though father had died, she never was sad in front of us. But she could not hide her grief from Berdan. Having such acute senses he would come tell us every time mother was crying. She was big and round, her long brown hair tied back behind her head. She had a beautiful smile though, infectious even.


''So have you made up your mind Rod. '' Berdan said calmly as he took a bite of his pie. ''About your blessing I mean. ''

''No not yet.'' Rodric said lying.

Devlan let out a laugh. '' Liar.''

Rodric frowned at his brother. Even though he was only two years older he would always act like he was nearer to thirty. ''What do you know of it. ''


Devlan raised an eyebrow and gave him a mocking stare. '' Hello…….I am eighteen you fool and have had my blessing for two years now. You do not think for one second little brother that I believe it is not at the forefront of every thought you have. ''

As always Berdan was spot on, and his blessing of speech always made the things he said sound convincing. But he always tried his best not to succumb to his charm. ''I have speed and strength. Not much else out there I would like. '' Rodric said continuing his lie.


Devlan sighed and looked at mother, who always tried her best not to take part, or sides in there arguments. This time he would do without as mother was eating her own small portion with her head facing down.


''You really don't care about the other blessings Rodric.'' Berdan asked.


''Of course he does. But not as much as proving me wrong. '' Devlan said laughing and pointing. Stopping immediately as mother raised her head to give him one of her looks. She hated when people were rude to each other.


Rodric and Berdan both smiled as Devlans smirk was removed from his face. He faced mother. ''Mother may I be allowed to go and practise now?'' He asked. Devlan trained night and day ever since he had received his blessing of awareness.


''As long as you have done your chores.'' Mother said sternly.

'

'Hours ago mother. '' Devlan replied.


Mother raised an eyebrow. '' Really and you have yet to moan as you always do. A little strange that I think. Okay you may go but I will check first that you have done what you have said you have done son. ''


Devlan stood up sharply, looking panicked but his voice as always was as smooth as silk. ''I shall check them again.''


''Okay my first born son. Be safe as always.'' Mother said as she stood and placed a kiss on Delvan's cheek. He frowned and cursed under his breath. Berdan gasped and covered his mouth with his hands.

He looked out the window and saw his brother begin to run. Devlan was fast but compared to him he was average, but watching his brother run in the direction of the town faster than a horse made him think that others would not agree. Farmer Warren understood his speed, and always was keen to hire him for work. Even going as far as suggesting to work on the farm throughout his period of snapping so he may gain the blessing of endurance that every good farmer needs. Being fast and strong were only good if you had the energy, unfortunately that was not the case. He used his blessings sparingly, especially after the time he had left himself so exhausted from running before he even started his chores. That day was a bad day he would never forget, and he learned a hard lesson as he was off his feet for days in pain.


Mother began hovering round the table, collecting there plates and mugs. Outside the darkness was growing stronger and the light faint. Berdan let out a sigh of relief. The daylight caused him discomfort on his eyes, and forcing him to wear silly outfit. Hats, masks, ear plugs, gloves and coats outside in the daytime and sun. But Berdan as calm and simple as he always was says he prefers the night. Always telling us how bright the stars can be in the dark sky.


Berdan lounged back on his chair, arms at his side. He had short brown hair and blue eyes, when he was not covering them that is. Skinny as a twig and as soft hearted as a lamb. And he always smiled.


Should you not be taking those patches off by now Berdan. It is starting to get dark now. '' He said.


''I suppose.'' Berdan replied as he reached to remove his eye patch.

He took it off slowly and as his eyes were unprotected his face tensed, his eye lids were almost half shut as if he was staring at the sun.

''You are not ready yet son.'' Mother said faintly as she washed the plates from dinner time. She always spoke softly when Berdan was around. Taking into consideration his acute hearing. He really had such a wonderful gift, that came with an initial heavy process to mastering his ability.


For a boy as lovely and innocent as Berdan, sometimes he felt a little saddened by his lack of social encounters with any other kids his own age. He was always at his side whenever possible, but as they grow older he worried about how long he would be around to look after him. But mother had promised he eventually would not need to wear protection. She said most things come with age and his control of his blessing was no different.


As always mother knew what to say, so did Devlan at times, yet he would never want it mentioned. He wondered how long he would be here now that the army had reached the border of the kingdom, to recruit. Mother had prohibited them from talking about the great war of nations going on. Staying out here in Ellen field we only need to worry about our own lives she always remarked. The things we hold dear she said are worthless to ambitious greedy men. They hold no value in peoples sentimentality, and therefore stayed away for hundreds of years. But there was conditions for the peace, the village and its young men would be provided to fill a quota upon each generation. A law he had found out was the same in the whole country.


Not even Ellen field could dodge that one. To mothers dismay she watched at times with worried eyes how much himself and Devlan had grown and became interested in the heroes of the ages. How could him and Devlan not be when they were granted the blessing of speed and all its attributes. He had strength with the attribute of power. Sometimes he thought farmer Warren was right. If he had endurance he could fight and run all day. But watching Devlan gain the attribute awareness from the intelligence blessing had made him think otherwise on occasion.


His brother had two of the attributes of intelligence. Speech and awareness. No wonder he was so good with the girls and popular with the local tough men. No wonder he was so good in general.


He gave his mother a kiss and his usual tight embrace, Berdan followed suit and they both went out into the garden to watch the stars. Berdan loved to watch the stars and when it grew late and dark there was no one his own age to watch them with so he always sat for a bit.

They found there usual spots on the edge of a soft hill that allowed them to lay back with there heads positioned up to the billions of shining stars that dominated the great sky.


Berdan shuffled his head to the right to face him, a wide smile on his face. '' Maybe you could try and fly Rodric. Maybe you could fly all they way there and grab me a couple of stars. ''

Rodric smiled at his brothers innocence. '' Perhaps I might one day. But why need stars when you can probably see them better than most. ''


''I suppose…..But it would be a cool blessing to have. ''


He was referring to legends him and his brother had heard from the town storyteller. A funny man who had the intelligence blessing. He chose to spend his time telling stories to the younger ones and offering wise council to the grown-ups. But sometimes when all the folk of Ellen field had gathered he would speak of mysteries, horrors and epic battles. The blessing of flight the old story teller said was real, yet no man knew of how to awaken this blessing with his snapping, and no one had the blood of a man who once flew.


Devlan liked the concept but said it was nothing but delusion. Both him and the storyteller could be locked in debate for hours. Too the point where they would huff, whine and shout. But Devlan every day would go back for his verbal disagreements. Perhaps he just liked to have someone as equally as intelligent as himself.


''Yeah it would be a cool blessing. With that I could fly round the world pretty fast. '' Rodric said as he gave his brother a wide grin.


''Do you think Devlan will go to war when the recruiter comes. '' Berdan said far too calmly for his liking.


The recruiter was the name of the man who scoured the outskirts of the kingdom of Stargrace in the far west. Recruiting young able men from the most isolated and distant places. Most men recruited would come in groups from cities and large towns but the recruiters men all seemed to be a mix of different cultures and people.

''He comes every ten years mother said at the same time as always. Father went with him last time and Devlan will want to do the same. '' Rodric said not realising he was telling a ten year old boy that his brother might up and leave to do the same thing that got their father killed.


''Devlan will be alright. '' Berdan replied softly and confident. ''He has awareness.''


''Yeah he has awareness but that does not make you invincible. Besides mother may have something to say about it. ''


''He wont listen to mother. He never does.'' Berdan said this time sounding worried.


Rodric laughed. ''And neither do we. ''


Berdan let out a soft giggle. '' I always do as I am told. ''


''You do? But Devlan is still smarting after you told mother that you heard and saw him going into the woods with some girl the other night.''


He did!'' Berdan said raising his voice.


''But why tell mother. You know how she feels about messing around with girls.''


''I guess I just wanted to have dinner for once without him looking so smug.''


Rodric held his ribs as he burst out into a fit of laughter. '' His face was fuming. '' Rodric said between laughs. ''He was definitely AWARE of mother that evening. ''


Berdan joined in the laugh, clouds overhead had gathered which brought a saddened sigh from Berdan. '' I guess we should go in before we get wet. ''He said as he began to stand up.


Rodric got to his feet with ease, using a little strength to spring him forward onto his feet.

He grabbed his brother from behind and raised him up onto his shoulders. ''I may not fly but you can. '' He said as he began to run around the perimeter of there home. Using the remaining strength and speed he had available to him in the form of energy.


They ran for what seemed five minutes , Berdan giggling up on his shoulders. He could not see the smile on his face but he knew it was there.


He picked up his pace as he saw the soft hill coming into view, when he reached it he bended his knees and leaped in the air.


Berdan initially let out a noise that sounded shocked as they glided through the air with the wind all around them. But halfway through there jumps arc he let out a happy noise. ''WOOOHOOOO. '' He cried to the night. ''I can fly I can fly. ''


They landed with a soft thump, strength enhanced knees absorbing the shock. He raced towards the front door where mother was standing in her usual spot.


''She is smiling. '' Berdan whispered as they got closer.


''So are we. '' Rodric said as he placed his brother back onto his own feet.


Berdan ran into the small cottage ahead of him but mother came over and gave him one of her tight embraces. She was always happy every night she saw that he took time out to be with his brother, Devlan did too but nowhere near as much as he used too when younger. Perhaps it happened when you get a little older. Although he never wanted a day where he never saw his brothers smile.

His mothers face looked proud that he was there looking after a little brother who was so sheltered because of his blessings, not like any other boy at all it seems. But speaking of such things was hard with his acute hearing.


He decided to go to sleep, running all day was a tiresome hobby, and the laps round the house with his brother, although he felt as light as a feather took away his last reserves.

He walked into his room, they all had there own small spaces to call there own. Even though Berdan slept in beside mother still. Devlan would no doubt be home soon, being a man grown mother gives him his independence.


He woke up as the sun was rising and the light leaked through the gaps of the shutters at the window. His head felt groggy as he went to the kitchen for his breakfast.


He opened his door and walked the small hallway to the kitchen. When he came in Berdan and mother were the only ones seated there. Mother was wearing a worried look, although she was clearly trying to hide her worry from Berdan. Where is he? He thought as he sat down in his table.


''He probably went to see some girl. '' Berdan said. Back to wearing his patches and ear plugs.


''I hope not. '' Was all that mother said as she placed down her apron and placed her hand on her face. ''He knows better than to leave me worried sick. ''

''He is coming.'' Berdan said softly.


And come he did, Berdan's keen senses no doubt hearing his brother from a ways away. But his brother had speed so how far he really was before Berdan heard and the door swung open he did not know.


Mother launched herself at him, Devlan raised his hand and stepped away retreating. ''Mother I am sorry. ''


Mother landed a slap on his cheek which he did not block. ''Not sorry enough. Now sit down or go to bed. ''


Devlan walked over to his usual seat. He had no witty remark or argument to start today, just like Berdan said last night. It was good to see the smirk removed from his face.


Devlan lifted his head and looked at his brothers. There was something in that look that made him pause and think. It was a sad look almost.


Mother satisfied with the silence began to serve there breakfast. Rashers of bacon on the side and a hot cup of soup on a plate with bread. It was a traditional meal and Berdan loved his bacon. He was not a big eater, like Devlan. Hot soup, beef stew and potatoes always seemed to be good enough. He never was one for feasts, the colours and smell are fantastic but eating should be a necessity and not some lavish luxury. In mothers house a greedy man is not a welcome man.


When they were finished there breakfast Devlan muttered under his breath, Berdan reacted slightly but no more was said.


Devlan got up and went to his room, mother paced in behind and shut the door.

''He said the recruiter is over the valley in the next town.'' Berdan said behind his leather protection.''He is going to leave us. ''

''Mother wont allow it. Now tell me what there saying.''

Berdan turned to face the room before turning to face him once more. ''He is saying he was with friends.''

Lying through his teeth no doubt.


''Well brother'' He said as he stood up and headed for the door to the outside world and another day with farmer Warren and his boys. ''Some of us have got to work while you sit there and look like a scarecrow all day.''


''Thanks'' Berdan replied while he crossed his arms.


He walked over and gave Berdan a rub on the back of his head. ''Do not worry it will not be long before you do not need it. And how many boys your age can say they have flew. ''

Berdan chuckled lightly, his lips the only visible part of his face, and his best feature by a long way.


''BYE MOTHER.'' He shouted as he began to run for the door that he opened, using his speed he was off before mother could call him back. The door blew shut at the speed, he accelerated as he came to his usual jumping spot. He looked to his right and saw Berdan looking through the window. He jumped high into the air and landed maintaining momentum as he headed down the hill to the wooden gate that leads out from their cottage. Circling the building was a chest high stone wall that had been there long before he was born. Apple trees were scattered along the perimeter, that and flowers. Mother always liked to have a colourful garden. Although the ground had been marked by his constant running.


The path to farmer warrens would usually take an hour, but with his blessing it took him five minutes. Men on horses carrying carts watched him dash by and call out in shock and surprise as he would jump over them. There was only one road in Ellen field. It ran straight through the middle of the town. Most of the farms and population were built around it. Making it a very busy road during the day. Mother always warned him to be wary, as a bad fall could be life threatening, and besides he had power instead of resilience.


Ellen field was secluded from the world. Farms and forests, every where in the far distance he saw mountains. As if the lands he called home resided in some green and golden, uneven bowl.


Halfway along the route he crossed a stone bridge that ran over Ellen River. Most of the towns water supply came from here, and on occasion he and his brothers would go fishing. Even on odd occasion at night time to see the fish that glowed in the dark. Berdan had wanted to take the strange long thin fish home with him, but the minute it was removed from the water its glow would disappear. And his brother would make a disappointing sound.


He passed a small wheat farm on his right and stopped. His friend James Besritt would be out to help him on his days task. Like he was any other day they had decided to ease there boredom on a hot morning and afternoon.


He came to a halt at a wooden bench which had no backrest. The bench was old and the names of people were scratched into the wood. He placed himself down and felt a tingle in his legs caused by his speed. They would be better in a moment, just needing a quick rest to get back to normal.


He looked down the cobbled path that leads to the farm where his friend in the distance began jogging towards him. His white plain shirt and brown trousers looking creased and worn. Never one for his appearance, which was odd. Especially since all the girls liked him. Swooned by his long brown shiny hair and his perfect smile like his brother. Sometimes he wondered how they ever became friends, he was similar to his brother except he did not feel the need to gloat.


James was a keen farmer, he obtained his third blessing of endurance with his snapping. To go alongside his resilience and comfort. He was a hard worker, well that was expected when someone could endure most things and could go on four hours at any given task. And having the blessing of comfort made it a lot more enjoyable to work the long hours with him.


James approached, his long brown hair tied back behind his head. He had gloves on that looked like they had seen better days. Same could be said for his clothes. How could a man so scruffy be liked by girls the way he is.


''Early as always my speeder friend.'' James said as gave him a fist bump. He always referred to people by what their blessing was. He liked to call himself Rock. Because he was strong and resilient. But he always called him James just to annoy him. And when James would moan he would just laugh, besides who wants a rock for a friend?


They walked the rest of the journey, without using his speed he became agitated at the slow pace, it really did suck to move at normal speed, even sometimes when he ate his dinner he could spoon it down in seconds, much to mothers dismay of course.


He saw familiar trees and hills around them, causing an urge to speed and jump in the air. It really was the best feeling in the world. A moment or two of freedom, no limitations, just you and the sky and the wind.


They began to approach the huge farm at the end of the road, and the town. At the entrance was a huge wooden barn where the grain was kept. Two men he noticed stood outside it. Protecting it from any would be bandits in the area. Not everyone in the world had blessings, but everyone in Ellen field as fas he knew had at least two. And he had known through time that the two men guarding the barns were men blessed with power. Their strong muscular folded arms thick like wooden logs.


Warren Farm was mainly wheat, with some apple trees growing on the outer edges, people in Ellen field loved apples. At the back of the farm was the Ellen forest. Where mister Warren employed men to chop down some of the trees. On occasion he had been asked himself due to him having strength. But out of his two blessings it was his least favourite. Without endurance it felt sluggish after a while. Sapping away strength way more faster than any speed blessing would. Although he never had endurance to say for sure. And from the people he knew only farmer Warrens eldest sons he had known to have endurance. But they had joined the army ten years past now when the recruiter came last.


That day had been strange. Some were proud to go and were cheered. But others cried and mothers had to be consoled. He understood why they had cried. Devlan had told him the recruiter came to Ellen field every ten years. And none but the old storyteller had ever returned. And not even Devlan and his charm could get any details from him. His father had gone to the army, or chose to go mother said. So that a younger, innocent man of Ellen field may be saved the horrors of war. The war still to this day goes on though. So perhaps they may return one day. Perhaps they found something out there that was bigger than the town and the people that reside here. But for a young country boy from Ellen field. The thought of being too far away from his mother and brothers was a cold feeling, prickling the skin and making the stomach feel hollow.


They approached the familiar large house of farmer Warren. It was painted yellow and green to match the area, although it mainly looked ridiculous.


It was two levels high and made of old wood that no doubt came from Ellen forest. The house was like most farm houses with huge wide windows and porches to sit in the sun. Although to get fresh water you had to go to the river at the middle of the town.


Farmer warren always moaned at how easy the Malksters have access to water. There crops were fresher with them being situated at the side of the river. And it was easy to access the water supply. Although with the speed blessing, which farmer warren and one of his boys have, he felt his complaints were just a way of venting his feelings. But going by that he must never be happy, even a good days work with the help of speed was not enough to stem the moans and groans. Mother said that he fooled everyone but her. She had known him in his younger years she said and he had a heart of gold hidden behind his old wrinkled frown of a face. He found it hard to believe his mother.


They came up to the porch where two boys sat waiting. Both trying to look as if they were some place else as there father, farmer Warren could be heard yelling in the back of the house.

''Get on those fields. They ain't going to tend themselves.'' An angry voice from the back of the farm bellowed.


Without delaying or showing any signs of defiance the sons of farmer Warren both sluggishly rose to there feet. They were both tall and pale, they were thin as well but he had saw that they were strong. Both brothers carried an uncanny resemblance for one another. Their faces looked pointy, especially the nose and the chin, and they had short messy black hair. When they smiled they looked like they were up to mischief, which they usually were. If not for his speed then he would fell prey to there humour a long time ago. But once they found out he had the attribute of power they tended to leave him alone. Although, troubling as they were, Tom and Bill were good lads, blessed with power and endurance. Both of them were friends of his brother and they gave him a free pass at times from there antics. James on the other hand was given no such favours.


The work with the plough was his least favourite he remembered as he raced up and down the fields at a steady pace, bored and beginning to sweat under the heat of the sun. The wooden plough rubbing against his shoulders. Faster than normal men he always went with perfect balance and timing, but not enough to burn his energy out. After all, he would be here for a couple of hours and the day was still young. James was carrying goods from the field to the barn, his strong arms and firm back carrying heavy items. He could do that but not like James. He would stop when the job was over.


The plough over his shoulders began to dig into him as he approached the last part of the field. Sensing the end of his job he seemed anxious, as if suddenly the plough was becoming unbearable.

Deep down he did not want to be on the farm when he was a day away from his snapping. Sometimes they were known to come a day or two early. But they never came more than seven days after your sixteenth birthday.

As he finished the last of his chores for farmer Warren the thought of gaining the endurance ability weighed on his mind. He would be fast, strong and able to do things for a long time. Even if he became a soldier which he often had dreams of doing he would be formidable. Although his brother and his blessing of awareness would not be challenged.


It felt funny to him, if his brother did not have the blessing would he really be so hesitant in choosing his snapping? Or would the stories he had heard the old storyteller speak of be enough to fuel his hunger for it. He believed it was the former, as he was getting older he found himself being more competitive with Devlan. At times they would have sparring sessions, but when he got his awareness it all changed. And he knew he would no doubt live in his brothers shadow. Men of Ellen field took the blessing of awareness very seriously. And when the recruiter found out and came to pick the five men to go away with him then surely Devlan would be one of them. And surely he would be one of them also.


He and James finished their work and they took the path that leads to the centre of the town where the young people of his age would be. James was talking repetitively, as he always did. Just as his brother claimed, he was finding himself thinking of his snapping more and more.


They came to the end of the path, James had launched into a rant about how the path to the park was more like an abandoned trail rather than a path.


The park was surrounded by tall evergreen trees. A gentle breeze rode through the air and the heat from the sun made it feel just right. Groups of gathered boys and girls in the distance came into view as they entered the park. ''Lot of them out today isn't there Rodric.'' James said as he began to fix his hair. An almost instinct reaction to spotting girls.


''Good weather always bring them out. The older boys will chase them away soon enough.''


''This is Ellen field. Apart from some rain at night all the days are sunny. I bet it is because the recruiter has come again.''


Rodric turned his head to look at his friend, his face looked like it was discussing something to magical and mysterious that he looked almost stricken with dumbness. '' Most of them are too young to be picked ayway,'' He replied. He was right but so was his friend.


''We're not though.'' James replied. ''The recruiter could use a Besritt with endurance among there ranks.''


Rodric laughed lightly as the crossed a small bridge that ran over a small stream. '' Carrying things all day is different from fighting all day.'' He said. Truthfully he did not think his friend would last a second. But on the other hand he did have endurance.


''Too the blessings it is the same my friend. And my father showed me how to use a spear.'' James said confidently.


A group of young boys there own age spotted them as they approached and waved encouragingly.

Rodric laughed again. ''I saw this Spear. A long stick is not a spear.'' He said mockingly as he returned a wave.


Before they could approach two boys came dashing over to him with celerity before coming to a halt before them, kicking up a trail of leaves and dirt that landed at Rodrics feet.

Both of them were smiling. '' The recruiter has come!'' One blurted out excitedly.


''Calm down you won't be going anywhere.'' The other said as he gave him a sour look.


Rodric smiled. ''Neither will I if my mother has anything to do with it. When will he be here.''


''Tomorrow.'' The eager one said. ''Did Devlan not tell you. He went over to the next village with the older boys. They were speaking to him apparently.''


Rodric felt a wave of fright wash through him. ''You lie.'' He said. Hoping he was even though he knew how eager his brother had become, but he had always clung onto the hope that he would stay for his families sake, wouldn't he?


The boy who was of a height with him shrugged his shoulders.''Why would I lie.''

The other boy with him laughed. ''Come on.'' He said to his friend. ''We have things to be doing.''


He thought on what the boy had said as he watched there figures become almost blur like as they went racing through the park to the path that they just had entered from. Even though he hoped they were wrong, it still tied in with him coming home late this morning.


James approached a pair of girls, both who had soft blonde long hair. James flicked his own locks back as he approached them with a smile on his face. No doubt intent on trying his charm, again his actions reminded him of his brother and he felt it strange how Devlan would annoy him yet James who was very similar did not.


A familiar face approached him, Ross Ambilux who had long hair tied and hanging over one shoulder in a braid. His hair was as black as coal and his brown eyes gave a fierce look. The girls also found his smouldering to be very charming. Even though he was small he was strong. Ever since his brother had stopped sparring with him he always found a good challenge with Ross. He had the blessing power and comfort. Which he found made it very difficult to focus and be in the right mind set when your opponent makes you feel calm. But he felt like he had overcome it. Ross was a year younger than him and he was even more excited about his snapping than he was.

His father also left with the recruiter at the same time as him and he always wanted to follow in his footsteps. His mother had passed away during the winter and was left to be raised by one of the other villagers. Although he was a very seclusive boy, dreaming of being a good soldier and finding his father. They were very much alike.


He spoke briefly with Ross, promising to meet up tomorrow for some training on the basis that the recruiter was not there. He was as eager as Devlan to be one of the five to go. There was he estimated around twenty young men a little older than him , there blessings all varying.

A girl approached him as he discussed with yet another young boy about the recruiter. It was Nosha.

She was a girl he had mixed feelings for. As she approached he could smell her, her long curly red hair tumbled down to her shoulders. She did not wear any dresses or great gowns that the storyteller said the queens and princesses of the world wore. But even in her tunic and trousers with her freckled cheeks and green eyes, he thought her the most beautiful girl in the town and possibly the world. Unfortunately so did all the rest of the boys. But he had been close to her long before he even had feelings like he did now.


''Hi Rodric. '' She said her voice soft and sweet to his ears.


''Hi nosha. '' He said. ''Enjoying all the talk.''


Nosha frowned, even a frown made her look beautiful. '' Do not be getting any ideas.'' She said worringly. She hopped over and gave him a hug and spoke. Her gentle soothing voice a whisper only he could hear. '' Do not leave me with these boys.''


Rodric smiled, inside and outside. ''Mother would not let me even if I did.'' He felt like saying that was becoming tedious, and less convincing.


She smiled as she headed off to catch a group of girls who were heading over to a group of trees. Giggling as they watched the two of the share a brief moment.


He shaked his head as he watched her leave as if trying to rid himself of the spell she had put him under. He noticed the other boys around were smiling and wearing frowns.

He walked forward towards James who looked a little dissapointed now that the girls had began to move away similar to the way a herd would. He saw Rodric and shrugged his shoulders. ''Until next time.'' He said playfully.


They walked to a hill in the park that had a huge evergreen tree with hanging leaves to give them shade. The wind hovered lightly through the air rubbing softly against there arms as they relaxed.

Some of the other boys joined and some decided to have a race.

There was four boys in a line and he knew them to be speeders like himself. The length of the park was long and suitable for a race. Although it did not last very long between those with the speed blessing.


A tall red haired boy named Margo won the short dash. His long legs giving him extra distance to match his speed and graceful touch and balance. He had raced him before and had struggled to keep up with him. Margo enjoyed the story about his ancestor, the famous scout in the time of the old empire who had speed and senses. Margo had gained the senses blessing with his snapping, although he did not go to the lengths Berdan did to protect himself while he adjusted. It was if his blessing came more naturally to Margo. Or Berdan's blessing was far more powerful.


James sat up and wiped the sweat from his head. ''It is so hot today.'' He moaned.

Rodric smiled. ''You said it is always hot in Ellen field. ''


''Funny aren't you?'' He replied. '' It is almost unbearable. And with my nerves on edge with the recruiter almost here. Well let me say it does not help to be sitting around here sweating.''


Rodric raised an eyebrow. ''What do you suggest we do then.''


James squinted his eyes at something behind him. He turned round to see what it was. ''It seems something has found us. '' James said as three boys came racing up the hill towards them.


He recognised the three brothers of the Camberns, all were tall and powerful. Blessed with power and endurance. Although none of them had received a blessing from there snapping.


Rodric and James stood to there feet, the Cambern brothers were rivals of sorts to his brother Devlan. Him and farmer Warrens sons. Usually they tended to leave him out of there issues, but the scowl on the three big lads faces said otherwise.


In the distance behind him the other boys had stopped racing and everyone was watching. One of the boys with the speed blessing began to race from the park, home to safety no doubt. A choice that seemed to feel like it was escaping him as the three Cambern brothers swaggered up beside him.


The taller one spoke up, he was the same age as Devlan and they had never got on. ''Where is he.'' He said.


''Jessi.'' One of the other brothers named Glen said with a sigh. ''I thought we were going to leave a message that did not need words.''


The third brother sniggered, he was skinny and small but he was strong. He was the oldest of the three and was there ringleader. His name was Gary. ''We do not have all day. ''


Adrenaline began to pump through him as the Jassi moved in to punch him. He stepped to the side quickly and easily. A thought raced through his mind. Fight or run.


As his hand came raing up with the speed of a thunderbolt, the strength of a rock he found he had made up his mind. He would fight. James had almost backed off before gulping and running towards the other two.


His punch connected Jassi on the arm which made him wince. He spinned around him crouching low and gave his tall foe's leg a kick with power. Jassi stumbled slightly but Rodric kept moving as he landed another blow in his back. Three hits and it was almost over. He went to kick his other leg when something strong and heavy crashed into the back of him. It was glen he noticed as he fell forward, spinning and crashing into the ground. His fall was broken by his speed blessings, maintaing his balance even on the ground. He felt a surge of pain wash through his back.

James was throwing punches at his opponent, he did not have the power blessing. But both had endurance and they were punching each other reptitively as if they were planning on battling for hours.


He leaped forward and kicked Glen in the stomach which sent the older, smaller boy flying back. A low groan leaving his stomach. Jassi turned his head to see his brother fall to the ground and that was all that he needed. Within a second he gave him a kick like he just gave his brother, Jassistayed standing and in vain tried to fight back. But like before Rodric's speed and strength were no match for him. Every punch dodged was returned with a punch the strength of several men. After the fourth hit Jassi finally fell down.


He looked at James who was standing over the third brother with a look of anger on his face. Blood trickled from his lip and nose. Swelling and redness had covered half his face. '' Fools.'' James said as he walked over to Rodric. ''Don't they know I have resilience and endurance!''


''I think we should go.'' Rodric said as he glanced at the three brothers on the floor, beginning to get to there feet once more, although very slowly and the faces tensing with pain as they tried.


As they made there retreat he heard curses behind him, but they were washed out by the sound of cheers from the younger group of boys, whistling, jumping and clapping at his fighting ability. They no doubt on occasion had fell victim and prey to the pranks and bullying of the older boys.


James ran as fast as he could, he matched his slow speed, but he noticed the widest grin he had ever seen on his face before. He was smiling also, but the look satisfaction his friend's face made him look like he had achieved some great achievement, almost proud looking.

'' Told you my friend.'' James said as they exited the park and headed once more down the road that connects the town within the golden, green bowl of Ellen field. ''The recruiter could use a Besritt.''

Rodric laughed lightly as they jogged at a light pace now they were out of sight. '' You did. And I am sure he will hear about this.''


''He will?'' James asked confused and breathing heavy.


Rodric looked behind him and saw no one following so decided to stop. He took in a deep breath and looked at his friend. ''It will be the talk of the town for the rest of the day.''


James shrugged his shoulders while he smiled, knowing fine well the thought brought him some happiness. ''I guess so. But you did it all on your own just about.''


''No we both did it James.'' Rodric said as they reached the Besritt house. He gave him a fist bump.


''I need to go see Deril.'' He said. ''And decide on this snapping.'' Rodric said as he looked at the road he would speed down in a moment.


''Funny time to be having a snapping I say. At the same time as the recruiter coming to Ellen field.'' James said as he gave him another fist bump.


''When you put it that way I suppose you are right. Good day James or should I say Rock.''


James laughed and turned away, walking with a swagger towards his house. '' Good day to you too my speeder friend. And you should always say Rock. Rock is cool.''



© 2016 R S Mclean


Author's Note

R S Mclean
wrote over the course of a day i found myself nothing to do.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on December 1, 2016
Last Updated on December 3, 2016


Author

R S Mclean
R S Mclean

Paisley, Renfrewshire, United Kingdom



About
Huge fan of fantasy and history in general. Football and other sports interest me. Good movies and so on. more..

Writing