I am Dreadful, I know, but you're even worse.

I am Dreadful, I know, but you're even worse.

A Poem by god is not great, I am

Many things about me, my way of thinking, communicating, reacting to and about life, people, and circumstances are and have always been distinctly different from most others. However,that being said, if there was one thing in particular that uniquely set me apart from so many of the people I know, it would have to be how nonessential it is to me to have people, anyone, like me.
I can say with totally certainty that it is of no importance to me whatsoever to have the approval of anyone, as long as I approve myself, that and I probably wouldn't like them.
Things like doing favors for absolute strangers never seemed to bother the others in the way it did me.
They enjoyed it actually, because it meant they could make these people feel approved of, and and also gain a since of approval in return.
What nonsense. So pathetic.
If I am to be inconvenienced just to do something nice for a person I've never met, without and reason at all, I am certainly not going to make it an enjoyable experience, nor will I find my self feeling glad I could be of such help, Ill just find myself feeling a great deal of irritation.
Now, I'm not all bad news though, because when I do decide I want to do something for someone, its for far less selfish a reason than those doing it to feel good about themselves. 
As I said, I do absolutely nothing in the hopes that it will cause someone to like me, more, or at all even. I like myself just fine, their feelings are irrelevant. When I choose to do something nice, helpful, out of my way, for another person it is a very simple reason:
I like them.

© 2011 god is not great, I am


Author's Note

god is not great, I am
This came to mind when a co-worker told a group of 15 that we would remain open for them past our closing time. Mind you, we closed in 10 minutes, and the people she was on the phone with, were still 20 minutes away, not even yet in their cars.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

We should discuss the Law of Reciprocity...

What if doing something for others IS doing something for yourself?

Life moves in a circle that runs through you. This has been said in many ways throughout time: Karma, The Golden Rule, What goes around-comes around, Do unto others as you would have done unto you, Judge not lest ye be judged, Eye for an Eye, Every action has an equal & opposite reaction...

Whether it's been said from a spiritual, colloquial or scientific standpoint, this is a basic Law of the Universe. Understanding it, Appreciating it and Harnessing it to guide the flow of what comes TO you in life... is a wondrous endeavor. ;-)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Amazing. I must say I'm a kindred spirit. I'm with you 100%.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love the rawness and bald honesty here.
I think perhaps though it could benefit from a more poetic structure.


Posted 12 Years Ago


I needed to read this twice to really get the sense of this. I like the strenght and honesty shown here. I could possible learn a lesson or two from this reasoning as well.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I can't help but feel as though doing something good for someone else is a natural reaction. Altruism is innate to all animals, including human beings, so aren't we pre-programmed to help others?
Of course, I do not in any way advocate doing only what we are meant (or even expected) to do. But I do believe that it is natural to feel a sense of happiness when you have caused happiness in others. You can twist it and call it "really doing something for yourself", but overall, it's an altruistic action that gives you a sense of fulfillment.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I have been where you are, you wrote of it so clearly, but I can attest that there is such a thing as Karma and the energy you give out returns to you. That being said there is something to be said for stacking the deck for your benefit Karmically speaking. One example I have is the other morning I went to a gas station for nothing more than to buy a scratch ticket. The guy before me had his credit card declined for a coffee, I bought the coffee for him and bought the scratcher I wanted... low and behold I purchased a $500 winner. Now I am not saying that it was in direct balance to what I did for the guy, I am just saying that good will is an amazing thing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

We should discuss the Law of Reciprocity...

What if doing something for others IS doing something for yourself?

Life moves in a circle that runs through you. This has been said in many ways throughout time: Karma, The Golden Rule, What goes around-comes around, Do unto others as you would have done unto you, Judge not lest ye be judged, Eye for an Eye, Every action has an equal & opposite reaction...

Whether it's been said from a spiritual, colloquial or scientific standpoint, this is a basic Law of the Universe. Understanding it, Appreciating it and Harnessing it to guide the flow of what comes TO you in life... is a wondrous endeavor. ;-)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

482 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 6, 2011
Last Updated on December 6, 2011

Author

god is not great, I am
god is not great, I am

Chattanooga, TN



About
No God. No food. No sleep. That’s all you really need to know about me. Atheist, Anorexic, insomniac. I am sure we have very little in common. Another note: My favorite writer ever- Charl.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..