Chapter 2- Part 1 Escape?

Chapter 2- Part 1 Escape?

A Chapter by Jules
"

can they escape or will life get in the way?

"

Chapter 2

 

Cameron struggled through the woods his chest heaving and sweat pouring down his pale face. He felt awful but he had to get home before the two French men caught up with him so he could organise escape for him and Portia. Portia; she stuck in his mind and drove him on, she was relying on him. Relying on him. Frank, Jonnie and Ellis had told him to grow up and take responsibility, this is the most responsibility he had ever had. And although he wasn’t very responsible he always kept his promises. The house loomed ahead of him and Cameron stumbled over the immaculate lawn to the kitchen door. He shoved it open and collapsed on the top step. The house keeper and cook rushed over to him and that was the last thing he remembered before his eyes fluttered closed and darkness descended.

~

Cameron was trapped; he needed to escape. Something bound him and it was hard to move. His hair was damp from sweat and stuck to his pale forehead. Wide dark eyes shot open and Cameron sat up startled. He wasn’t trapped like he had dreamed; the sheets he had been under had twisted and wrapped themselves around him as he had tossed and turned in his bed. Bed? He shouldn’t be in bed. What time was it? Had he rescued Portia? He didn’t remember doing so.

“Sir” exclaimed Thomas his valet from the door. “You’re awake! Three days you have been gripped by that fever we thought you weren’t going to recover.”

“Recover? Me? Of course I would!” Cameron told him trying to laugh, but being reduced to a heaving coughs. If it had been possible Thomas was sure he had seen his master pale further when he had told him how long it had been. It did not matter he had no pressing business. But Cameron did just no one knew it. Except Portia. He felt terrible she must have been sat there in the dark waiting for him to come rescue her and he had let her down. Well he felt well enough now and he would keep his promise just slightly differently.

“Help me get up Thomas,” he ordered his man servant when he realised he was too weak to get up unassisted. “We have things to plan.”

“Plan sir?” Thomas asked confused, but helping his master straight away.

“Yes Thomas, I never break a promise.”

~

Portia lay on her bed and wept bitterly. How could Cameron have let her down like this? He had left her dazzled and hopeful in her sanctuary of the summer house but unlike he had promised he had not returned for her a midnight. Carefully she had packed a bag of her most precious things and some clothes and snuck out to meet him and waited all night till dawn broke and then weeping silently returned to the house. Her step father had been waiting for her much to her surprised. His sneaking valet had seen her attempted escape and informed his master. A giant shouting match had commenced and as always Portia lost. He locked her in her room and she had been left there for days she wasn’t sure how long any more. She cried on and off till she fell into exhausted sleep then cried some more for letting her self be fooled by a lying charmer.

She awoke to more shouting down stairs. She recognised her step father’s voice mostly, but the other voice was harder to hear or identify. He sounded hoarse and almost ill, but very forceful. The voices moved up the stairs towards her room.

“No, no don’t let him take her!” she heard her mother beg her husband. Who were they talking about?

“You can’t stop me!” she heard Cameron's voice. Cameron? Why was he here? Was he going to rescue her after all? The door handle rattled and the door itself shook, but it didn’t open. Portia rushed from the bed to the door.

“Its locked,” she called through it to him.

“I’m coming Portia,” Cameron shouted to her and there was a thump against the door. She stepped away hastily. Was he going to break it down? The door didn’t budge. She heard Cameron yell angrily and the yelp of someone being injured. A key rattled in the lock and then clicked open. The door swung wide and Cameron ran through it pulling her into a tight hug. “I’m sorry I didn’t come before, I was ill.” He rasped into her hair. That’s when she noticed he was using a stick to support himself and he looked very pale. “Do you have bag ready still?” he asked before she could speak. She nodded and pointed to a small valise at the end of her bed. “Is this everything you want?” he asked staring at her seriously. She nodded and he pulled her out the room, a tight grip on her wrist. They ran past her tearful mother and her stepfather sprawled on the floor bleeding from his nose. Neither of them followed even as they jumped into Cameron's awaiting carriage and started off down the driveway.

“Thank you, I had just started to give up.” Portia told him quietly and then burst into tears, leaning against Cameron's chest. He pulled her onto his lap and held her tightly, rocking her slightly.

“I’m sorry, I am so sorry I left you there.” Then he coughed and had to release her cover his mouth and hold on the seat for support. Sat on his lap Portia could feel each cough as if it were her own and smoothed his hair out of his eyes tenderly. He smiled weakly at her, looking deathly white. “Look at us” he whispered “Already like an old married couple and we don’t even know each other still.”

“I don’t care,” Portia declared, “You saved me and I will always love you for that.”

“But I didn’t save you soon enough, like I said I would. I broke my promise.” He looked a sad and weak that Portia felt guilty for berating him when he had not turned up when he had said he would.

“Shush, no more about this you did save me still though.” She quieted him and gave him a timid hug. He hugged her back and they fell asleep like this to the steady rhythm of the coach.

~



© 2009 Jules


Author's Note

Jules
again just give me your honest opinion :D jules x

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

for real im with tina this is such an amazing story dnt end it just yet

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh I hope that's not it! I really love this story. I need more!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 10, 2009


Author

Jules
Jules

wouldn't you like to know!



About
Hi I'm Jules! i am 19 and have writen seriously since about senior school. i will read literally anything although not erotica and i'm not big on poetry :S i love romance stories and am a sucker f.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jules


Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by Jules


Part 2 Part 2

A Chapter by Jules