Chapter 1- Lucas House

Chapter 1- Lucas House

A Chapter by Jules
"

life at lucas house is never boring... if a bit confusing

"

Left at the Crooked Pine

 

Chapter 1

 

Lucas House was no longer quiet and empty. Tiny feet and high voices echoed in the hallways. Bianca sat in Juliana’s library, listening to the excited calls of Frank and Juliana’s daughter and son.

Banka! Banka!” she heard them shout for her.

“Hush children!” Juliana chided them from outside the library door. The door cracked open and Juliana looked in. her auburn hair fluttered around her face and she looked harassed. “Can I come in?

Bianca put down her book and sat up straight. “Of course, it’s your room. Are you ok?”

“Yes just tired the children,” she looked down at the girl and boy scrambling at her legs, “are driving me up the wall. But I love them.” She said more softly. The children burst past her and scrambled over Bianca. She laughed and hugged little Lucas to her while rose fiddled with her hair.

Banka your hair is pretty. I wish my hair was this colour.” The young girl told her while fingering her own red locks.

Banka! Banka! Hands up I’m a high man!” Lucas told her excitedly. Neither child at 6 and 4 had mastered her name but she had grown to like their name for her.

“A high man?” she asked the little boy. Juliana laughed.

“He means a highway man; Frank was telling them stories last night. Apparently there have been two robberies this week. There have been no injuries thank god but he made off with a lot of jewellery and some heavy purses.”

“How exciting!” Bianca replied with a laugh it must be terrible fun to be held at gun point for all your riches.”

Juliana stared at her aghast, telling the children such stories about highway men was entertaining but the idea of being held up in the dark and cold for her belongings did not appeal to her at all.

“Only you Bianca, only you,” she shook her head at her strange friend. Bianca just laughed. “Can I leave the children with you? Their nurse has taken sick again, I must find them a new one and I have some other jobs that need seeing too.”

“Of course, the sun is out so I’ll take them out to play highway men I think.”

“Have fun and try not to bring them back too dirty.” Juliana disappeared down the hallway and Bianca took the children’s hands, leading them to the garden. Lucas let go and ran ahead yelling, “High man! High man!” as he went. Bianca and Rose laughed and followed ran after him gleefully.

Juliana stood in the window of franks study and watched them play on the well manicured lawn. She sighed. Frank looked up from his desk concerned. She sighed again. He stood up silently and approached her wrapping his arms around her and kissing her neck, inhaling the sweet scent of her hair. Her sigh turned from one of worry to pleasure and she turned around and kissed him lightly. He kissed her forehead and held her tightly.

“What’s wrong Jewel?” he asked his wife using a hand to smooth the worried frown from her face. She smiled weakly at him.

“I’m worried about Bianca, she should be in town have more of her season but she insists she doesn’t want to this year. And I can understand that but how else will she find a husband? She makes such a good mother, I mean you have seen her with the children but she insists she doesn’t need to attend the season to find a husband love will find her. But what if it doesn’t?”

“She’s right Juliana love finds those wait. Leave her be she seems perfectly happy. Now I have just the way to make you happy and stop you worrying.” She opened her mouth to question him but he silences her with a kiss and pushed her down on to the wide window seat. Juliana had started smiling already.

~

Bianca sat under a tree and watched the two children playing fondly. Lucas has his sister give him her hair ribbons and a small purse with some pennies in it, before running off. Rose followed him demanding he gave them back. Bianca laughed and lent back comfortably, looking back at the house. She could see Juliana and Frank in an upstairs window. They didn’t look very comfortable, but Juliana’s face was full of pleasure. Then she caught a glimpse of leg and realised what they were doing. She looked away quickly, focusing on the children, blushing in private embarrassment. Shock numbed her, it was broad day light and they did it so regularly. She didn’t understand why. Her mother had once tried explaining the act to her and she was completely terrified by the idea now. Yet when she heard Frank and Juliana down the hall way at night they sounded like they derived extreme pleasure from it. It confused her. The children bounded up to her, rose having reclaimed her ribbons and demanded she join them. So all such thoughts were pushed out of her mind as they should be and she chased them back up the garden path.

~

“I have found a new nurse maid for the children today.” Juliana told them later at dinner. Bianca studied her with interest. She looked happier and more relaxed now and Bianca was glad. “She starts next week,” Juliana continued. Frank nodded along absent minded, sat reading the evening mail while they ate.

“Oh look Jewel an invite from the – for drinks and music performance. Shall we go?” he asked.

“Well when is it?” Juliana asked matter of factly.

“Later tonight apparently at 8 o’clock.” Frank told her calmly not even looking up from his next letter.

“Tonight!” both Juliana and Bianca exclaimed.

“Yes what’s the problem with that?” Frank asked looking up with a confused grumble.

“Oh where is your brain tonight?” Juliana asked exasperatedly. Frank’s eyes twinkled.

“In my office,” he told her with a wink. Juliana blushed but ignored his comment while Bianca looked down at her plate intently.

“Well we can’t go anyway we need to stay and look after the children.”

“Oh that’s a shame, I enjoy music,” Bianca finally piped up. Frank and Juliana looked at her as if they had forgotten she was there; which they had.

“Oh but you must go without us then Banka.” Frank told her using the children’s name for her with a fond smile.

“Really?” Bianca asked cheerily. She didn’t mind going with others to events but she was old enough to look after herself now and would enjoy some freedom. Then Juliana spoke and ruined it all.

“But what about that highway man Frank, Bianca can’t travel on her own. What if she is robbed?”

Bianca felt like a popped soap bubble.

“Oh rubbish Jewel, she won’t be alone the groom will be with her and I’ll send George along too if it will make you feel better.”

“Juliana saw Bianca’s eager face and remembered her wish earlier, that Bianca would get out more and socialise and relented; giving in despite her doubts about safety.

“Ok you may go; you should go and change ready. Frank can you make sure the coach is ready?”

“Yes Jewel,” Frank agreed with a smile at his wife’s bossiness and Bianca hurried upstairs to get ready.



© 2009 Jules


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

nice build up...loved it till now......on to the next chapter!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Oo! I really like this so far! It's so dramatic and exciting so far! I love the dialogue, the metaphors, and vivid imagery! I'm going to keep reading! :D

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 23, 2009


Author

Jules
Jules

wouldn't you like to know!



About
Hi I'm Jules! i am 19 and have writen seriously since about senior school. i will read literally anything although not erotica and i'm not big on poetry :S i love romance stories and am a sucker f.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jules


Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by Jules


Part 2 Part 2

A Chapter by Jules