*work in progress*

*work in progress*

A Chapter by Laerwen Mincks

“Louis!” Delilah squealed as she laughed behind the scarf tied around her eyes. “Where are we going?!” She questioned with excitement.

            “I cannot tell you my love.” Louis said through a smile. “I told you, you will just have to be patient,” He took one hand off the driving wheel to pick up her hand and lay a delicate kiss on it, “It is a surprise.”

            She snickered at the feeling of the soft kiss on her hand and the tone of arrogance he had in his voice.

            “You are simply incorrigible!” She replied with a fake, exasperated sigh.

            It had been what felt like hours, her eyes shielded behind Louis’ handkerchief. They had just walked out of the door of the quaint little inn when Louis had promptly stepped behind her and placed the silken cloth over her eyes. She had immediately fought his movement and asked what in the world he thought he was doing. Only to have him wrap his hands around her waist and whisper that he had a surprise for her in his ear. She hated surprises and the unknown, but she simply had no other choice but to adore the man for his spontaneity.

            Their Model T, continued down what she assumed was a road and she tried to gather all of her senses to determine her best guesses for her location. Whether they were heading North, South, East, or West, was entirely beyond her, the slightly rough bouncing ride had fooled her on that. She assumed they were most likely not heading West, being as he had taken her on their vacation to a cozy little coastal town, and she figured that being on the road for as long as they had, if they he kept continuing West they would simply fall into the ocean. She laughed a giggly, but uncomfortable laugh at that thought. It was slightly chilly in the automobile, on occasion she could feel warm beams of sunlight hit her, and she relished in the sunlight’s heat. She pulled her knitted shall up over her dress to keep in the warmth. There was a bit of cool breeze in the air, a tingly sensation stinging her skin as they raced down the road. Louis was apparently going rather fast, his childlike excitement getting the better of him. The notion of her once perfectly pin curled hair, being destroyed by his rambunctious driving, sent a slight wave of frustration through her. This surprise better be good, she thought. Soon she began to hear the squawking of gulls flying above them, or at least that’s what she guessed was above. She listened closer and could hear the crashing waves of the ocean, and for a brief moment she gave her previous “driving into the ocean” thought a bit more credibility than she cared for. Delilah felt a slight squeeze on her hand; Louis had apparently sensed her slight tension. She focused on his firm, but comfortable, grip on her hand and relaxed, and let her silly, childish fears fade away. Soon she felt the automobile stop, no more bumps, and tingling air on her cheeks; instead everything was still.

            The driver’s side automobile door slammed shut and she could hear the sound of Louis’ bustling feet racing around to her side of the automobile. Goodness he was acting like a young boy in a toy store. She felt her door come open and she reached to remove the cloth, only to have a gentle hand placed on her arm, in protest.

            “Not yet,” she heard Louis’ voice whisper in her ear.

            He placed a soft kiss on her cheek, and proceeded to help her get out of the automobile. Wrapping his arm around her waist, he helped her walk forward.

            “There.” He said, “You must stand right here, my love. It is the best way for you to see it.”

            “See it?” the slight hint left her befuddled; what on Earth did he want her to “see.” “Can I take this off then?” She motioned with her hand to the handkerchief.

            “Not quite.”

            She gave a frustrated sigh as he continued. She felt him step in front of her. His body felt warm against hers.

            “Do you remember that key I gave you for this past Christmas?” He said.

            “Why of course I do.” Delilah said with exasperation. “You told me specifically to never lose it. To wear it on my body at all times.” She paused as she reached down the collar of her dress and tugged at a silky ribbon holding the large, iron key. “How could I ever forget?” she questioned him with a smirk.

            He laughed at her sarcastic tone. Louis had always loved her wit.

            “Well,” he said, “I told you it would open up a very important gift, did I not?”

            “Yes, you did.” She smiled, “but that, my dear husband, was back in December, this,” she paused, “is August.”

            “Well I do believe it will be well worth your waiting.” He said with a lighthearted laugh, deep from his belly. He stepped behind her and placed a soft kiss on her neck. “Yes, I do in fact believe you will find it very worthy.” He gently, but quickly, untied his handkerchief and revealed her gift.

            It took a very brief moment for her eyes to adjust, but when she did she was at a complete loss for words. Before her stood a house, no, house was not the right word, a Palace, made of wood and brick. Beautiful shrubs and rose bushes guided the way towards a massive door, the size of which she had never seen. Beautiful windows surely must have lit the house up with sunlight from every which direction.

            “My goodness,” she finally said, “There must be fifteen bedrooms in there!”

            “Seventeen,” he said with a smile, “To be exact, each with their own dressing room and bathroom. There also is an area for fitness activities, formal dinning room, a couple kitchen, study, living room, and of course,” he paused as a sweet tone entered his voice, “a large family room complete with a fire place.” He hugged her tighter around the waist, “This my dear wife, is yours.”

            Her eyes filled with tears and her face lighted up with an amazed smile. Never in her life had she dreamed of anything like this. The quaint one room apartment, her and her family had found shelter in, when she was a child would have fit in just the doorway of this Palace. She could not think of any other words to call it. House? Mansion? Could it be? Could she really call it “Home”?

            “Mine?” she managed to choke out.

            “Yes love,” He smiled, “all yours, well and mine, and our children’s, that is if you still intend to have them with me?”

            Delilah’s face lit up with a smile from ear to ear, as she turned and jumped like a child into his arms, and wrapped her arms around his neck. Their eyes met.

            “Merry Christmas.” Louis said with a smile matching of hers, “I hope you like it.”

            “Like it?” She questioned, “I…I…I ah…” She could not speak so simply and so answered his question by kissing him deeply, and lovingly and with all the might she had in her. His smile was felt behind her lips, and he separated from their kiss. Delilah looked up with questioning and suspicious eyes.

            “Do you want to see the inside before, or after you discover the gardens?” He smiled with a sly smirk.

            “Gardens?” there was no way of hiding her excitement as her eyes widened like a child’s after being presented with her first bicycle.

            He did not answer but simply motioned with his head to a direction. Louis watched her as she squealed with utter joy, quickly tore off her shoes, and ran through the lush grass straight to the direction of the Eden he had created for her. 



© 2013 Laerwen Mincks


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a very cute and emotional beginning to your story and to be honest the story could continue in an infinite possible ways. It’s a great start.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Laerwen Mincks

10 Years Ago

I was inspired while visting a state park in coos bay oregon. This 1920's Billionaire had the entire.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 19, 2013
Last Updated on February 19, 2013


Author

Laerwen Mincks
Laerwen Mincks

About
I am a naturalist, a wife, and a mommy to Twins. Currently I am working on a degree in creative writting, and have hopes to further myself with a masters degree in fine arts. I write several diffe.. more..

Writing