Carbon Copy

Carbon Copy

A Poem by Alana McGuire
"

being compared to someone, in this case, my sister

"

I am her carbon copy.

From the passion of reading anything that makes me feel any less human.
To my accustomly unaccepted wardrobe that is constantly changing whenever I feel an itch to be noticed.
From the captivation of art that has really never been enough, to the music that screams out for indifference at the upmost level.

Although who could allow me to forget the one thing that enables me to follow you so easily?
I am carrying out this solo act of which I speak, I do so every day; yet until this very moment, I had momentarily forgotten how naturally the words flow when I choose to allow their escape.
I cannot quite fathom how entirely morbid it must feel to be locked up for so long, desiring only to be released, yet captured once more, and forever blended and intertwined through the pen with the page in which their fate is eternally sealed.
I truly believe it is this, and this only, in which I may possibly, with self-mastery and determination, prove myself worthy of many the comparisons between you and I, my dearly cherished.
After all, you always did shine brighter than the brightest; you always outshone me. Always Me.
Always.
Me.

My clever wit imprints upon many, filling me with the slightest hope that I may one day live and breathe within the light, no longer shackled to your overbearing shadow with in which my drowning is constant.
But no, reality grips me at the very peak of my high, dragging me down, forcing me to stare into the eyes of obvious truth.
After all, it is your shadow on the opposite, northern end of my chains; your perfections devouring my mere accomplishments.

Though Love, do not for one scarce second allow your thoughts to wrap themselves around the assumption that I am not honored to trail in your wake.
No, I have always accepted my position, with only occasional haunting thoughts of deliverance.
I would never run from this, Darling, no not from my fate.
I could not posses myself to do so, nor live with myself if I did.
Where would I turn to; who would I seek?
You, and you alone, have molded me in your image.
And I, I am your carbon copy.

© 2012 Alana McGuire


Author's Note

Alana McGuire
Reviews are always welcomed! But please don't tell me to shorten it. I can't. Hahah :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love where you wrote this...
"I had momentarily forgotten how naturally the words flow when I choose to allow their escape. "
so true how effortless words can come when there is something to say.

I love how you repeated the last two words twice here, it created so much more feeling in this write !
"After all, you always did shine brighter than the brightest; you always outshone me. Always Me.
Always.
Me."

This part here, to me just makes you shine, just as this write of yours shines. "My clever wit" as you said in the beginning, i'm not sure what to call this voice in your writings but I do love it! Maybe your clever wit, or just a clever sense of word flow and descriptions, drawing a reader into your beautiful feeling filled write... but something is there that shines, indeed!

"My clever wit imprints upon many, filling me with the slightest hope that I may one day live and breathe within the light, no longer shackled to your overbearing shadow with in which my drowning is constant. "

In the ending lines, I like how you wrote this part:
"Though Love, do not for one scarce second allow your thoughts to wrap themselves around the assumption that I am not honored to trail in your wake.
No, I have always accepted my position, "
I do not have siblings so I could now fully know the feeling but I have well heard of it and seen it from friends, movies, stories, your write, and more. Surely it is difficult at times as the feelings in your write speak. And very good at describing that feeling, I should add. A friend of mine just the other day who does have siblings had told me that sometimes the older siblings look down the younger siblings as you might be looking up to them feeling like that "carbon copy" and like your living in there path in that "position". Do remember that the older siblings do become adult first, and when they do life becomes more difficult for them, as your still younger having a bit more fun then them perhaps. Hope I said that good enough for explaining.

This is a really good write, sometimes I wish I had a sibling, can be lonely... sometimes not cause I'v heard of the pain it can become and the feelings within it. I enjoyed this write, lot of feeling into this, it speaks a lot. :) You are a really good writer, even if I have just read about 3 of your writes now. Seems to be flawless spelling and nice flow of words, and use of vocabulary and feeling. I could not just read one... and so reading more.


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow. "I am your carbon copy." It's an amazing write :))

Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautifully worded! This is a piece full of elegance and poise -

'My clever wit imprints upon many, filling me with the slightest hope that I may one day live and breathe within the light, no longer shackled to your overbearing shadow with in which my drowning is constant.'

'Clever wit' is surreptitious, though.
Really good piece I could clearly make out the sad, despairing resignation. Everyone lives in a shadow, it's up to us to make our stars shine...we are individuals and our lives should never be determined by anyone else's.
'possess'
Great write, and thanks for sharing :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great job! I can definitely relate to this .

Posted 12 Years Ago


A great insight into sibling wars. I am an only child so can only wonder. I suppose I cld invent a big brother to beat me up or defend me or some such. Before I read the note at the top I wondered if the comparison might be with a dead poet or some such. I think the only thing is to detatch from the family and forge our own identities. But I am not sure i am qualified to say that being ... an only child. I wld definitely absolutely not like to be thought of or think of myself as a carbon copy of anyone though. There is intelligence in the way you serve up your thoughts and feelings. I wonder what your sister's viewpoint wld be? And does she know you write poetry? Does she write? If you are a carbon copy then she, too, must be talented and creative.

Posted 12 Years Ago


nice job i like the juxtaposition between ME and carbon copy throughout.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Thank you for this lovely submission to my contest!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautiful. Loved it. Definitely going into my library. Keep it up. I look forward to more of your writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Don't shorten it! Don't you dare hahah it's perfect this way! But anyway...the tone is so dark. It's as if, you're accusing the person you copy and melt your own self into for being there and subconsciously influencing you onto that. But I guess we all tend to do it when in love. Trying to shape our way and what makes us stand out to fit better into the puzzle of our loved one.
And perhaps, during all that changing we realise that every little thing that made us go the other way, in my case changing my accent, the way I speak, the way I act in hindsight might have not been such horrible mistakes and in fact, haven't been mistakes at all. Even if that person overshadows us. Even if we think we're so much better, even if we really are.
But I've long ago resigned wishing to be someone else, someplace else, or to be noticed. Those are wishes of the past. Nowadays, my differences, whether melded by someone else or not, carbon copied idols or people overshadowing me, are something I cherish as a part of me that may change again with time. Thank you for such an inspirational poem/monologue. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is really sweet

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love how you did "I am her carbon copy." and changed it to "your" at the end. It just had this amazing impact. The part "I cannot quite fathom how ... their fate is eternally sealed." I love, I really love it. To me there seems to be a lot of power in this of sorts, an emotional power, one that is conveyed really well.


Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1114 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 20, 2011
Last Updated on January 12, 2012
Tags: sibling, sister, comparison carbon copy

Author

Alana McGuire
Alana McGuire

About
Hello! My name is Alana, and I'm really glad you're on my profile. I love chatting, so send me a message anytime! I also love reading new poetry, so feel free to add me and we can share our words.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Strong Strong

A Poem by Tamia123