Tinsel And Tassles

Tinsel And Tassles

A Poem by LapseOfMind
"

Everyone knows one.

"
Majestic counterfeit King
Plastic crown upon thy brow
Lording over no one
Yet your kingdom grows somehow
Regal impersonator
With no man to work your land
Imposter on the throne
Childs scepter in your hand
No court or noble men
To help in this charade
No queen seated at your side
And yet still you masquerade

© 2016 LapseOfMind


Author's Note

LapseOfMind
I feel this could've continued but I lost interest

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Had the feel of ancient times. Could have possibilities? You create chain of command and false people. Thank you for sharing your words and poetry.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


LapseOfMind

7 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a review
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Was my pleasure and you are welcome.
My reaction - The power and validation of feeling at the top of the world... may invoke the most emptiness one can experience, when there is nobody left to share nor create the memories in the room at the top of the world. Experiences and memories are meant to be shared. It can bring upon such pain that it leaves one feeling like a helpless child in a lonely world, without trust. It goes beyond those who seek fortune and power in the guise of "doing it for one's family" when there is no family to be found at the top. No significant other, no children, no friends. It reminds me of Johnny's Cash's cover version of, "Hurt". The line in that song, "You can have it all, my empire of dirt. I will make you fall, I will make you hurt". I saw all of the above in my mind as I read this piece.

I enjoy the style of which you wrote this, and the substance within it. It doesn't feel complete in some ways, but it hit every emotion it sought it to reach.

Some lines I really enjoyed and really stood out;
"Lording over no one "
"Childs scepter in your hand "

But it's the last four lines that really stands out and sums up this piece. It makes me think you were right in not continuing to write anymore after those four lines;

"No court or noble men
To help in this charade
No queen seated at your side
And yet still you masquerade "

You can't follow that. You can try to follow that, but I am not sure I'd be able to fully process after that stanza. If you do wish to add on to this, I recommend leaving that as the final four lines as it the knockout blow that expands the mind and stabs right through the heart.

Some suggestions if I may;
Thank you for requesting me to read this piece, I continue to marvel at how you're able to capture so much in 12 lines, 56 words. Yet I read this, and yet it has my mind wandering with the reaction above. Your flow and rhyme scheme continues to be one of my favorites. I liked this, and thank you for helping me forget my thoughts and feelings if only for a few moments. I get lost in your writings, and I enjoy it.

The only things I would consider changing or recommending would be a different title. For some reason, "Tinsel And Tassles" doesn't feel appropriate for this piece.

Also, have you ever considered adding pictures for your poems? For instance, the image I have for this one is a melting crown. I am not sure if you're familiar with the famous art piece "Persistence of Memory" which has a melting clock for a lack of a better description. I have a similar vision in my mind as I read this, but a huge gold crown and/or throne melting similar to the clock. I did some searches, but I cannot find an images that resembles what I'm visualizing in my mind. However, I realize you don't use pictures, and I totally understand if you don't see the point or don't care, I personally look at the pictures as "cover" to my poems. For instance, your profile picture has an impact on me every time I see it, and I think it would have been some of my poems as well as yours. Just a suggestion if you ever decide to start using pictures.

As for your title, I'd be curious to know what prompted you to choose it if you wish to share. In my opinion, my titles are very hit or miss, but I feel they're almost as meaningful as the poems. The writing, the title, potential picture... I feel it just adds on to the piece. Just my two cents though.

Another solid poem that I thoroughly appreciate and admire.

Posted 7 Years Ago


LapseOfMind

7 Years Ago

As always, thank you very much for reading, reviewing and your kind words. I truly do appreciate it,.. read more
Lost, n'MT

7 Years Ago

You're very welcome, and thank you for sharing this and requesting when you did. I definitely relate.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 25, 2016
Last Updated on June 25, 2016
Tags: Poem, poetry

Author

LapseOfMind
LapseOfMind

Seattle, WA



About
im starting to feel that the news media and social media are the downfall of society and humanity. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


revolution revolution

A Poem by quinfinn


Shadows Shadows

A Poem by Kristen