Who Are You?

Who Are You?

A Story by surething
"

The most infinite question asked over generation after generation... I think I have finally found a portion to the answer.

"
Trying to figure out who I am, and who I have become over these last few years has been one of the hardest things I have tried to accomplish. I'm not the typical teenager who is full of rage... Yet I am. I am not the stereotypical white girl who loves Starbucks and wears Uggs... Yet I love coffee and hey, Uggs keep your feet warm. So if I cannot defeat those things that most people pin on an almost adult teen, then what am I? Who am I? 
I was given this question one day in my Public Speaking class, and I demanded myself not to be that person who goes to the front of the classroom and say, "Hi, I'm Ally, and I like to write poems and think about death". No, that was not going to be me. While those are things I like, they do not make up my being. As soon as I left the college, I went straight to my notebook to try to figure out who I was. 
"I am Ally"... "I love to write"... "I love to draw"... Those things were not cutting it. Sure my name might tell people who I am, but its not who I am. The things that I have passion for make up a part of me, but it is not who I am. 
Trying to find the answer to this question seemed like it was going to be the death of me. With only two more days until I had to present "Who I Am" to the class. I laid on my bed, staring at my ceiling, making out images in the popcorn ceiling, I continued to question myself of who I really was. Then it hit me; I am none of those things... Yet I am those things. I'm not just this girl who loves to write, I am a writer. I'm not this angry teen who loves to draw, I am an artist. Maybe not to most peoples opinions, but I am those things to me. 
Finally figuring this out made it easier for me to get a grip on the life I am living right now. Sure it seems like a hell hole, and I am just surrounded by toxic people who do me no good, but I am a writer. I am an artist. I am an aspiring Tattoo Artist. I am a future nurse. I am made up of these things. I am not just a person who loves to sing out loud in a field where no one can hear me, I am a singer who enjoys singing to herself. 
Trying to figure out who I am, and who I have become over these last few years has been one of the hardest things I have tried to accomplish. I still do not believe that I have completely figured it out, but I do know that I am a few things.

© 2015 surething


Author's Note

surething
This was written out of anger because my parents like to question me and who I really am. It just so happened that one of my classes had asked me the same question. If you have any ideas on how I could fix this, or what I could add, please let me know.

Tell me who you are, and what you have become.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wonderful....This is truly inspiring.....Loved it from heart....Thank you frnd....

Posted 8 Years Ago


Well you did hit the nail on the head when you said "Maybe not to most peoples opinions, but I am those things to me". I think that is the first stumbling block to the question. Is it who are you, or who are you to others. If it is to others, then please give up now because every single person will have a different perspective of you, some without even knowing you.
Also, who are you now, compared to who you were six months ago can be massively different. Every single action and interaction is like you, Ally getting a system upgrade. I'm sure this is why we have to sleep, so we can upgrade our system software. :)
I can't offer any advice, other than I have realised in the years I have been here, that the happier you are with your life and your surroundings, the more sense who you are makes. It is the doubts and unhappiness at not being where you saw yourself being, as well as other people, who cast a shadow on who you are.
Me, I'm a person, with enough years under my belt to understand that this question keeps evolving as we do, and we do get pieces of the picture, which is a good thing, because if we ever found the complete answer, then what would be left.
Oh, and I do go on a bit when I get started too :-)
Very well written and thoughtful piece. It is a question that we all revisit. Maybe you should think of doing volume two in a years time to see how you change too.




Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 21, 2015
Last Updated on October 21, 2015

Author

surething
surething

About
I am a typical adult-child who sees everything through rose colored glasses. Please don't make fun of my addiction for silly nonsense. I have an obsession with Alice in Wonderland, and I wish I co.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Scared Scared

A Poem by Érenn


Mess Mess

A Poem by Rachael Lea